Dreaded sense of inevitability

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think we win the TO battle and have one big play on special teams go in our favor. Pokes win by 11.
Unless we remove the running and holding on to the ball too long QB we aren't going to win the turnover battle. IF, something amazing happens, and SS learns to control and play within his self, then we have a chance....otherwise we will get behind based on forced plays and be forced to play the Freshmen...or at least should be. Likely, once/if we finally play him, it will already be too late in this game. I sincerely hope I'm wrong...but he would have already been starting two games ago at half time if it was me and most certainly at half when you score ZERO vs KSU in the first half. Right now teams key on the running game and we make simple mistakes on the read option between the QB / RB exchange at least once a game. Even if your o-line sucks, a good stable quick release low key passing accuracy QB is the key to a good and consistent ball control offense. I have more than a hunch that's what is waiting in the wings. IMHO, we will likely see that happen in this game. Maybe there are injuries I'm not aware of...that could be the delay...

Last edited:

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know man, being an OSU fan for years makes this feeling tough to shake. I'm trying to take heart in the fact that our defense is truly legit this year. I remember a fantastic defensive battle in 2001 that we came out on top of, let's hope for a repeat of that one!
I've watched that game again just for the fun of it. The thing that strikes me is I wonder how the heck that team had only won 3 games all year prior to Bedlam. Our D looked like the old Pittsburgh Steelers in that game.

We all remember the Wood's catch but that game was won by defense and special teams.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Given the O-line, I would look for OU to bring the house a few times early to set the tone. While SS gets the blame for the TO's, IMO some are the result of D pressure.
The two botched handoffs and throwing the ball right to defenders isn't the o-lines fault. Holding on to the ball too long isn't their fault either. If we are going to play a drop back passing game, as we did much of the first half vs KSU, he's the wrong guy. If we are going to play run first then he's the right guy but defensive players know that as well and key on our running backs more with that type of attack because they really don't have to worry about receivers getting behind the offense. You put a drop back first guy, especially with quick release, you open up the running and passing game and defenses cannot key on anyone. Long passes are harder if the line sucks but they are open one play a series because of trying to defend the short game over and over again. When the DL gets tired of constant rush on quick passing game..then you hit them deep. Slants and TE plays also start to be open when you aren't afraid that your QB is a turnover machine. HINT to everyone on the board...Gundy is so conservative right now because he doesn't trust his QB and RB not to turn it over...he will NEVER say this, but that is what it is.

Nov 6, 2010
I've watched that game again just for the fun of it. The thing that strikes me is I wonder how the heck that team had only won 3 games all year prior to Bedlam. Our D looked like the old Pittsburgh Steelers in that game.

We all remember the Wood's catch but that game was won by defense and special teams.
Wasn't that the first game Josh Fields played in?? I think we had been starting Pena all year.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Wasn't that the first game Josh Fields played in?? I think we had been starting Pena all year.
Fair point, but it was our D that really won the day. I don't care if we started me as QB, it seems like that D would have carried us to more than 4 wins that season.

Sep 12, 2008
Turnovers! Overall, OSU is 40-3 when not committing a turnover since 2005. Dating back to 2008, the Pokes are 63-7 when winning the turnover battle.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Given the O-line, I would look for OU to bring the house a few times early to set the tone. While SS gets the blame for the TO's, IMO some are the result of D pressure.
The two botched handoffs and throwing the ball right to defenders isn't the o-lines fault. Holding on to the ball too long isn't their fault either. If we are going to play a drop back passing game, as we did much of the first half vs KSU, he's the wrong guy. If we are going to play run first then he's the right guy but defensive players know that as well and key on our running backs more with that type of attack because they really don't have to worry about receivers getting behind the offense. You put a drop back first guy, especially with quick release, you open up the running and passing game and defenses cannot key on anyone. Long passes are harder if the line sucks but they are open one play a series because of trying to defend the short game over and over again. When the DL gets tired of constant rush on quick passing game..then you hit them deep. Slants and TE plays also start to be open when you aren't afraid that your QB is a turnover machine. HINT to everyone on the board...Gundy is so conservative right now because he doesn't trust his QB and RB not to turn it over...he will NEVER say this, but that is what it is.
What leads fans to believe they HAVE the answer to the right offensive approach, personnel and play calls without the benefit of attending practice, detailed personnel evaluation and advanced scouting, and that coaches with access to all of the above don’t have the right answer?

It’s literally beyond comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 6, 2011
I imagine that this game will look like many we've seen before: missed opportunities to get TDs early when we need them, allowing the other team to keep it close. We'll all be puzzled by bizarre clock management at the end of the 1st half. Gundy will tell the sideline reporter that we "just need to block better and establish the running game" as he heads into the locker room. Then we'll have a couple of critical mistakes in the 3rd quarter that will make us have to play from behind and we'll falter late in the 4th due to either stupid playcalling or a boneheaded mistake. Throw in a few questionable calls by the zebras to taste. Alcohol will be consumed and the woulda-shoulda-coulda will commence like we've done many, many times before. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Aug 7, 2006

That team was a lot better than it's record... Lost by 8 to Southern Miss, Lost in OT at home to Missouri and lost to Colorado at home by 3. If I remember correctly, turnovers and penalties hurt them quite a bit. Plus the new coach was still learning... fake punt on your own 30 at A&M(or something like that).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
What leads fans to believe they HAVE the answer to the right offensive approach, personnel and play calls without the benefit of attending practice, detailed personnel evaluation and advanced scouting, and that coaches with access to all of the above don’t have the right answer?

It’s literally beyond comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, let me see...just some obvious comprehension 101 to follow...

Robinson...best QB but not a starter until mid season
Weeden...best QB but not a starter until injury and then replace for Bedlam by a very injured Robinson
Chelf...best QB but not a starter except for injury
Illingworth...???not a starter except for injury and who knows in the future...

This is a trend. To his credit Mike is loyal to the position he played and the guys he recruits to play it...
Like...

Reid...
Cate...
JW Walsh...
Garman...
Dare I say it...

I LOVE what Mike Gundy has done for our program...he has been our best coach ever...but he's not beyond reproach and critical observation...especially at the QB position that he has initially mess up multiple times before making the right decision each time down the line. I just think he holds on too long after it's obvious.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Oh, let me see...comprehension 101 to follow...

Robinson...best QB but not a starter
Weeden...best QB but not a starter
Chelf...best QB but not a starter
Rudolph...best QB not a starter
Illingworth...???not a starter

This is a trend. To his credit Mike is loyal to the position he played and the guys he recruits to play it...
Like...

Reid...
Cate...
JW Walsh...
Garman...
Dare I say it...

Sure, okay. I have no idea what that means.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Guys - I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer so don't freak out on me....

I just can't get excited about Bedlam
Gundy's presser the other day really got me down as it sounded like it was just another game and OU is trending up

I think it will be a repeat of last year....not a total beatdown but a game where we never really are a threat

I hope I am wrong but thats the way I feel

Someone give me some hope
My friend, you and I use different restrooms.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Why shouldn't we punch first. Rattle the Rattler.

Go.
Freaking.
Pokes.

You're more than welcome to join us at the victory party. Just wear a mask.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Weeden...best QB but not a starter until injury and then replace for Bedlam by a very injured Robinson

Like...

Reid...
Cate...
JW Walsh...
Garman...
Dare I say it...

I LOVE what Mike Gundy has done for our program...he has been our best coach every...but he's not beyond reproach and critical observation...especially at the QB position that he has initially mess up multiple times before making the right decision each time down the line. I just think he holds on too long after it's obvious.

And your every argument is with 100% benefit of hindsight. There are very good reasons why the coaches decide what they decide. We are not privy to the vast majority of the data that leads to the decisions you want to criticize while looking in the rearview mirror. You also cannot give us the result had the coach made a different decision.

When I see the offense struggle, my mind goes to things like - the other team has answers for what we're trying, or we're busting the execution, or one or more players are compromised by injury, or we don't matchup well, or the million dollar coaches on the other sideline have a great plan. I never sit there and think our coaches just don't know what they're doing, are making bad personnel decisions, don't know how to call plays, etc., etc.. Never. But it seems some fans just want to blame the personnel decisions, or the play calling, or the scheme or anything that puts the blame on a stupid coach.

It's tiring. It's weak. It lacks common sense perspective.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2006

Like...

Reid...
Cate...
JW Walsh...
Garman...
Dare I say it...

I LOVE what Mike Gundy has done for our program...he has been our best coach every...but he's not beyond reproach and critical observation...especially at the QB position that he has initially mess up multiple times before making the right decision each time down the line. I just think he holds on too long after it's obvious.
Corndog played well enough to beat OU. We lost (imo) due to a Chuba fumble at the OU 35 with 6 minutes to go (tied at 41 at the time) and a blown 3rd down and long where we couldn't tackle Hollywood Brown and they convert (late in 3rd quarter) -- they score 2 plays later to retake the lead. Shouldn't have come down to the final 2 pt. conversion.

Last edited:

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
And your every argument is with 100% benefit of hindsight. There are very good reasons why the coaches decide what they decide. We are not privy to the vast majority of the data that leads to the decisions you want to criticize while looking in the rearview mirror. You also cannot give us the result had the coach made a different decision.

When I see the offense struggle, my mind goes to things like - the other team has answers for what we're trying, or we're busting the execution, or one or more players are compromised by injury, or we don't matchup well, or the million dollar coaches on the other sideline have a great plan. I never sit there and think our coaches just don't know what they're doing, are making bad personnel decisions, don't know how to call plays, etc., etc.. Never. But it seems some fans just want to blame the personnel decisions, or the play calling, or the scheme or anything that puts the blame on a stupid coach.

It's tiring. It's weak. It lacks common sense perspective.
. Says the guy that sits around message boards waiting to chastise fans for their inevitable ramblings about coaches

Dec 11, 2011
Every year, we have that one game where we seem to really put it all together. Defense steps up, offense shows a huge new wrinkle that catches the opposition by surprise & they spend the whole game reeling (Arizona in the Insight bowl; double tight I formation & Castleman catching passes/Baylor in the "Bryce Petty tackled by the 7 yard line" game). This is going to be that game.

Pokes win, and it feels like the '02 game where it just never really was in doubt.

Suck it Rattler

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
We’re fickle fans.
After TU, we thought we weren’t very good
After WVU, jury was still out
Beat KU, offensive coming around but it was KU
Beat ISU and we’re good- conference Champ is ours for the taking
Lose to UT but 4TO and KO return for TD .. offense was good, D was great, zebras hurt. We’re good.
Beat KSU- D was great, offense struggled. We’re bad.

that about sums it up for most.

I’m more optimistic than that if you look at the season as a whole