DNC has truly become a parody of itself

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
'Of all the things that I care about, it is below my line,' - Probably true for most of us. So many things to carry about these days.
I don't watch pro sports. Follow it occasionally, and only because of a particular athlete (OSU). The hypocrisy of professional sports is troubling for me.

Sep 12, 2008
DNC losing Latino voters..

Democrats admit they’re losing ground with Latino voters.

But Latino Democratic leaders and operatives are increasingly worried that time is running out to do anything that would make a significant difference ahead of the 2022 midterms, when the party needs a robust Latino turnout to preserve its slim majorities in Congress.

For years, those leaders have warned that the party needs to invest earlier in outreach, hire more Latinos for decision-making positions and talk to Latino voters about more issues than just immigration.

But even after a presidential election marked by former President Donald Trump’s impressive gains with Latinos across the country — not just in Latino-heavy South Texas and South Florida — they see a lack of urgency in addressing those issues. Between that and a failure to keep pace with GOP efforts to communicate with Latinos on newer platforms, there’s a creeping fear that the traditional Democratic advantage with Latino voters will continue to erode in November.

“Intellectually, Democrats know they have a problem,” said Maria Teresa Kumar, founding president and CEO of Voto Latino, a grassroots political organization. “But I haven’t seen the investment that needs to happen for it to translate.”

Latinos — the largest of the nation’s fastest-growing demographic groups — have long been viewed as solidly blue Democratic voters. While President Joe Biden captured the majority of the Latino vote in 2020, Trump improved his margins in 78 of the nation’s 100 majority-Hispanic counties.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/18/dems-latino-midterm-527265

Sep 12, 2008
Who'd of thought that if you stopped charging people with crimes and defunded the police that crime would go up in big cities?

"Major cities across the US have observed carjackings spike by up to 510 per cent in a 'disturbing' trend some are attributing to lax punishment and a shift in driving habits.

In line with an overall rise in violent crime across the nation, cities such as Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and New Orleans are experiencing a jump in violent vehicle takeovers as critics slam criminal reform systems.

Others say changes that have come about during the pandemic - including curbside pickup and an increased demand for delivery service - are contributing to the jump.

In Chicago, 1,849 carjackings were reported last year - a 510 per cent increase from the 303 vehicular hijackings in 2014, according to city data. Last year's figure represents a 30 per cent increase from the 1,413 cases reported in 2020.

City Alderman Ray Lopez weighed in on the matter, telling CNN: 'It's like the perfect storm, where all these soft on crime policies have come to a head during this pandemic.'

Meantime, New York City has seen carjacking rising by more than 350 per cent in the past three years, to 510 in 2021. Comparatively, there were 328 cases in 2020, 132 in 2019, and 112 cases in 2018, CNN reported.

An NYPD opined to the New York Post: 'New York has become carjack city, Between the guns and the low-risk of stealing cars, we’ve seen this explosion in carjackings.'

Other cities experiencing a surge in cases include Philadelphia, which reported 750 carjackings last year, a 34 per cent year-over-year increase, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said in an online statement."

Sep 12, 2008
Another one bites the dust!

"Longtime Rep. Jim Cooper of Tennessee on Tuesday announced that he’ll retire at the end of his current term, becoming the latest in a large list of House Democrats not seeking reelection in November’s midterms.

Democrats hope to retain their razor-thin majority in the chamber polls, though history shows they face long odds.

Cooper, the dean of Tennessee’s congressional delegation and a member of the Democrats’ Blue Dog Coalition of moderate representatives, has served in Congress since 1983. He becomes the 29th House Democrat this cycle to announce they’ll retire or seek a different office in this year’s elections. Fourteen House Republicans are either retiring or running for a different office."

Oct 29, 2016
US
no no no no no. One of the biggest parts of the problems with the Dem party today
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1486353987385364483
Why specifically does she need to go? She's been the most effective House leader in US' history and so, unsurprisingly, the most vilified. She also has fought very hard against AOC and her squad aka extremism. I'm sure there are better candidates, but at least she fights against extremism.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Why specifically does she need to go? She's been the most effective House leader in US' history and so, unsurprisingly, the most vilified. She also has fought very hard against AOC and her squad aka extremism. I'm sure there are better candidates, but at least she fights against extremism.
This

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
She pledged to step down in 2022 herself and laid out a very compelling argument why she herself SHOULD step down. take her words for it..not mine

Dec 2018. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...has-agreed-to-step-down-by-2022-to-secure-the
WASHINGTON — Nancy Pelosi announced on Wednesday that she will step down as top Democrat in the House by 2022 in a deal with Democratic lawmakers pushing for generational change. The deal secures her the votes she needs to become speaker of the House in January.

The term-limits proposal, if passed by a majority of Democratic members, would require that all three senior leadership members step aside after serving three terms. They could serve a fourth term with two-thirds' support of the Democratic caucus, but because it would apply retroactively, the upcoming Congress would be Pelosi’s third term as leader.

“Over the summer, I made it clear that I see myself as a bridge to the next generation of leaders, a recognition of my continuing responsibility to mentor and advance new Members into positions of power and responsibility in the House Democratic Caucus,” Pelosi said in a statement. “I am comfortable with the proposal and it is my intention to abide by it whether it passes or not.”

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Doesn't matter which D runs in her district, they will win. So IMO, the devil you know, is better than another AOC type character. Just as long as she is no longer in leadership as she is terrible to listen to.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
She pledged to step down in 2022 herself and laid out a very compelling argument why she herself SHOULD step down. take her words for it..not mine

Dec 2018. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...has-agreed-to-step-down-by-2022-to-secure-the
WASHINGTON — Nancy Pelosi announced on Wednesday that she will step down as top Democrat in the House by 2022 in a deal with Democratic lawmakers pushing for generational change. The deal secures her the votes she needs to become speaker of the House in January.

The term-limits proposal, if passed by a majority of Democratic members, would require that all three senior leadership members step aside after serving three terms. They could serve a fourth term with two-thirds' support of the Democratic caucus, but because it would apply retroactively, the upcoming Congress would be Pelosi’s third term as leader.

“Over the summer, I made it clear that I see myself as a bridge to the next generation of leaders, a recognition of my continuing responsibility to mentor and advance new Members into positions of power and responsibility in the House Democratic Caucus,” Pelosi said in a statement. “I am comfortable with the proposal and it is my intention to abide by it whether it passes or not.”
I'm not a fan but isn't she talking about stepping down as speaker and not that she wouldn't run again as just a house member?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

That's as a leader, not a Congress critter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk