Dick Cheney gives us the Answer!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
SO......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo7mAwGyuC0

" From the New York Times:

Martha Raddatz, chief White House correspondent for ABC News, sat down with Mr. Cheney in Amman, Jordan, one of several stops on a Middle East tour that includes Iraq, Israel, the West Bank, Oman, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

After Ms. Raddatz asked about the economy — which he said was in “a rough patch,” not a recession — the subject turned to the deep unpopularity of the Iraq war.

Here’s a transcript of the exchange, released by the network:

Raddatz: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

Cheney: So?

Raddatz: So? You don’t care what the American people think?

Cheney: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls. There has, in fact, been fundamental change and transformation and improvement for the better. That’s a huge accomplishment.
---------------------------------
You know, he might be right. Under Saddam, after all, the Iraqi people had to endure functioning hospitals and electricity and they didn't even have any sewage flowing down the streets in front of their homes. There has been fundamental change.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
SO......

Martha Raddatz, chief White House correspondent for ABC News, sat down with Mr. Cheney in Amman, Jordan, one of several stops on a Middle East tour that includes Iraq, Israel, the West Bank, Oman, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

After Ms. Raddatz asked about the economy — which he said was in “a rough patch,” not a recession — the subject turned to the deep unpopularity of the Iraq war.

Cheney: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls. There has, in fact, been fundamental change and transformation and improvement for the better. That’s a huge accomplishment.
You know, he might be right. Under Saddam, after all, the Iraqi people had to endure functioning hospitals and electricity and they didn't even have any sewage flowing down the streets in front of their homes. There has been fundamental change.

SO????? Point?

naranjaynegro

Territorial Marshal
Oct 20, 2003
Houston area
Visit site
If only we had RP as president....he'd make everything peachy keen.

It's got to be a tough life to be a politician these days......you do what you think is right even if it goes against popular opinion and get lambasted for it on a regular basis. But then when you stick up your finger to see which way the wind is blowing in order to make decisions the people want in order to re-assure your electability come election time.

You just can't win.

If you ask me....politicians need to be steady feeding the American people dose after does of castor oil, but it won't happen. They can't say no. They can't say enough is enough. They just keep on spending, keep giving away (earmarking) money like someone who just won the lottery (Republicans & Democrats). Why should they care, it's not their money, they didn't earn it. Let the government bail-out Bear Stearns, let them help stablize the mortgage market where both lenders & borrowers went over the top. Now, social security insolvency is rearing it's head again, what's the solution? I'm sure a "mean's test" is next in line. All that 7.65% I paid in and matched by my employer? Just another tax that I'll never see. They won't feel any pain over this, no lesson learned. So, it'll happen again.....and again.....and again.....until this country turns into an Argentina....or a Zimbabwe. It's not a question of IF it's gonna happen, the only question is WHEN?

My rant is over, thank you for listening!

OSUCherokee

Territorial Marshal
The point is that when some politicians reach the end of their career, they clearly don't have to care what the people think. It's one of the flaws of our system. That's what the point is. He is clearly going against the wishes of the people who elected him, and could justifiably be removed. By the people and for the people, remember?

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
I'll admit to laughing when I read that. It was almost like someone doing a Cheney imitation. I guess no one does it better than the original.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
I can think of a lot of professional ways our VICE PRESIDENT could have answered that. How about "I'm sorry they feel that way but..." or "It's unfortunate they don't see what we're doing..." but no. It's a cocky "so?" In other words "Like I give a !@#$ about the American people." Doesn't surprise me. He's shown he doesn't give a crap about the American people in a lot more significant ways than a simple answer to a question.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
The point is that when some politicians reach the end of their career, they clearly don't have to care what the people think. It's one of the flaws of our system. That's what the point is. He is clearly going against the wishes of the people who elected him, and could justifiably be removed. By the people and for the people, remember?
Justifiably removed for what? Not flip flopping based on the latest poll? I think maybe Gallop Poll should run for President, then some people would be happy.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I can think of a lot of professional ways our VICE PRESIDENT could have answered that. How about "I'm sorry they feel that way but..." or "It's unfortunate they don't see what we're doing..." but no. It's a cocky "so?" In other words "Like I give a !@#$ about the American people." Doesn't surprise me. He's shown he doesn't give a crap about the American people in a lot more significant ways than a simple answer to a question.
So instead of being straight forward you think an elected official should be based on his ability to speak and be wishy washy around the issue so that you really don't know where they stand? I would much rather just have the straight of what they think. To some though, knowing exactly where your elected officials stand that must be a problem?

Sep 5, 2006
KMAF
So instead of being straight forward you think an elected official should be based on his ability to speak and be wishy washy around the issue so that you really don't know where they stand? I would much rather just have the straight of what they think. To some though, knowing exactly where your elected officials stand that must be a problem?
I don't think that is the issue. I think the issue is that Cheney is a dick (no pun intended) and is doing whatever the hell he wants. Where I come from we call that abuse of power.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
I don't think that is the issue. I think the issue is that Cheney is a dick (no pun intended) and is doing whatever the hell he wants. Where I come from we call that abuse of power.

I don't think his answer to a reporter is an abuse of power, though it does betray a contempt for the people and the press. But I agree that he has abused his power. I believe there are reasonable grounds for his removal from office, but I don't think that would necessarily be in the best interests of the nation, and fortunately Congress has showed restraint in that regard. I wish it had shown such restraint during the Clinton years.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Cheney doesn't care what others think, this is true. He cares about what he thinks is right, what his advisors think, and what the current administration policy is. He has no problem with standing his ground and telling you what he thinks is right.

This in no way does not mean he doesn't care about people or his country any more or any less than anyone else.

It is just simple and straight forward. He isn't worried about looking good in the polls to make you or anyone else happy.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
If everyone is so worried about what people say, why arn't some of you worried about Obama misleading people about his very church until he was faced with the videos all over youtube? Or Hillary can't remember is bullets were flying over head or not, I don't think any of us would not remember somthing like that. These are very basic things these two have problems with being upfront about until the truth is in their face point blank! What type of issues will they have under much more stress and difficult issues?

I suppose they will just simply consult Gallop Poll and let you know what it says and everyone will be happy?

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
Cimarron, I'll gladly concede that war should not be conducted on the basis of opinion polls, but COME ON, why could Cheney just say that rather than "So?" The answer belittles all of us, including those that agree with his policies. I'm no politician, and I can think of many better ways to answer that question off the top of my head.

And it's not like that question came out of left field, caught him off guard. Shouldn't we expect a more serious response from a Vice President who is widely believed to wield so much influence over such an important issue?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Cimarron, I'll gladly concede that war should not be conducted on the basis of opinion polls, but COME ON, why could Cheney just say that rather than "So?" The answer belittles all of us, including those that agree with his policies. I'm no politician, and I can think of many better ways to answer that question off the top of my head.

And it's not like that question came out of left field, caught him off guard. Shouldn't we expect a more serious response from a Vice President who is widely believed to wield so much influence over such an important issue?
I know lots of people like Cheney. They are just very straight forward with their answers. You shouldn't read more or less into it than that. Often times many people mistake them for being rude and insensitive when exactly the opposite is true. The problem we have in our society today is that the best speaker gets the job while he may not really be the best person for the job.

You may or may not agree with how Cheney feels about any given issue. The words he chooses to answer the question though shouldn't always be used to judge his values and morals and if he does or does not care.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
If everyone is so worried about what people say, why arn't some of you worried about Obama misleading people about his very church until he was faced with the videos all over youtube? Or Hillary can't remember is bullets were flying over head or not, I don't think any of us would not remember somthing like that. These are very basic things these two have problems with being upfront about until the truth is in their face point blank! What type of issues will they have under much more stress and difficult issues?

I suppose they will just simply consult Gallop Poll and let you know what it says and everyone will be happy?
Frankly, I'm not worried about Cheney's popping off, Hillary's exaggerations, or Obama's crazy preacher. They are all telling, though, and the proper subject of criticism.

NMcowboy

Its like old Mexico...but newer!
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
Wichita, KS
SO......

That video is the biggest load of liberal bull I have ever seen.

First of all, the 15 second video is taken out of context. You can say how "arrogant" and how much of a prick he is all day long, but at least he's not playing political mind-games and kissing people's asses all day long like everyone else up in DC is....

The reporter starts with a statement, then goes on and on, then ends the sentence with an upward inflection to make it seem like a question. What is he supposed to say????

a) "That is a nice set of statistics you have there."
b) "That is a nice dress you are wearing."
c) "Boy, oh boy, it is a wonderful day out today!"

Instead he says "So?" Its a question answer to a (non) question

Is she asking him to "explain himself" like Mommy asking little Johnny why he stole cookies from the cookie jar?

I would sure like to see the whole interview before I start calling the Vice President an arrogant, no-good a-hole prick.

***Next story: George W. Bush is not a very good public speaker!!!!

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
I know lots of people like Cheney. They are just very straight forward with their answers. You shouldn't read more or less into it than that. Often times many people mistake them for being rude and insensitive when exactly the opposite is true. The problem we have in our society today is that the best speaker gets the job while he may not really be the best person for the job.

You may or may not agree with how Cheney feels about any given issue. The words he chooses to answer the question though shouldn't always be used to judge his values and morals and if he does or does not care.
Yeah, I hear you, which is why I mainly just find it kind of funny. I mean, it is funny.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
That video is the biggest load of liberal bull I have ever seen.

First of all, the 15 second video is taken out of context. You can say how "arrogant" and how much of a prick he is all day long, but at least he's not playing political mind-games and kissing people's asses all day long like everyone else up in DC is....

The reporter starts with a statement, then goes on and on, then ends the sentence with an upward inflection to make it seem like a question. What is he supposed to say????

a) "That is a nice set of statistics you have there."
b) "That is a nice dress you are wearing."
c) "Boy, oh boy, it is a wonderful day out today!"

Instead he says "So?" Its a question answer to a (non) question

Is she asking him to "explain himself" like Mommy asking little Johnny why he stole cookies from the cookie jar?

I would sure like to see the whole interview before I start calling the Vice President an arrogant, no-good a-hole prick.

***Next story: George W. Bush is not a very good public speaker!!!!
I should have watched the video, damn that was funny! Pretty good response I thought, exactly what sort of answer did they expect with that question? Talk about taking things out of context and leading journalism...

I think you are wrong about one thing though, it was more like 10 seconds for the question and response.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007

"We have emphasized from the outset that this would be a long, difficult struggle, and perhaps it is time for us again to let the American people know that this is not an endeavor we undertook lightly. We are focused on our goal of keeping the American people safe from terrorists and the regimes who support them."

"Sometimes we get so involved in our duty of keeping the American people safe that we probably don't communicate the purpose of our mission often enough. We are in this war to keep America safe, not to win popularity contests."

"If the media spent as much time telling all the positives that are happening in Iraq as they do scrutinizing every setback, then the opinion polls might reflect differently."

How was that?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
"We have emphasized from the outset that this would be a long, difficult struggle, and perhaps it is time for us again to let the American people know that this is not an endeavor we undertook lightly. We are focused on our goal of keeping the American people safe from terrorists and the regimes who support them."

"Sometimes we get so involved in our duty of keeping the American people safe that we probably don't communicate the purpose of our mission often enough. We are in this war to keep America safe, not to win popularity contests."

"If the media spent as much time telling all the positives that are happening in Iraq as they do scrutinizing every setback, then the opinion polls might reflect differently."

How was that?
Do we know what the rest of his response was?

At any rate your hired.....