DeSantis thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
That is one dark future.
After the so-called "tea party" took control of the Republican party, the GOP has been a party of absolute clowns. Having said that, the DNC is not too far behind. The GOP tho.. Jesus... I'd be embarrassed to fall myself a Republican. I have no idea how anyone could look at what rhe Republican party has become and say "yeah baby! I want some more of that! That's what I'm talking about. BEST PARTY EVER!"

These things are why I have become an independent supporter. The GOP... an absolute disgrace and crap show.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Can someone explain to me how a GOP Gov threatening to call in Protective Services to have Parents investigated with the Potential to Lose custody of their Children because the Govt doesn't Like the completely legal, non age restricted, and open to the public event their parents took them too is in ANY possible realm of GOP conservative thought ????

This is NOT CONSERVATIVE VALUES, THIS IS NOT SMALL GOVERNMENT, THIS IS FULL GOVERNMENT CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE !!!

Mar 11, 2006
Can someone explain to me how a GOP Gov threatening to call in Protective Services to have Parents investigated with the Potential to Lose custody of their Children because the Govt doesn't Like the completely legal, non age restricted, and open to the public event their parents took them too is in ANY possible realm of GOP conservative thought ????

This is NOT CONSERVATIVE VALUES, THIS IS NOT SMALL GOVERNMENT, THIS IS FULL GOVERNMENT CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE !!!
I concur. That is a big mistake and just wrong. He was playing well with parental rights with the elementary school issue, but this is just the opposite.

Plays to far-right base, but he currently has strong appeal with libertarians, independents, and moderates. Statements like this do not help with those groups.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
DeSantis weighs ordering child protective services to investigate parents who take kids to drag shows
The Florida governor's comments were prompted by viral videos of children attending a drag show at a Dallas gay bar Saturday

..https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...ective-services-parents-take-kids-d-rcna32757
If Dallas police never cracked down on underage kids allowed in bars, then that needs investigated more. As long as it doesn't happen in his state, it's not something Desantis needs to worry about. Enforce laws on the books. No need to create more.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1542226665610280963
well that certainly changes my mind...my vote shall go to desantis!!!...joe rogan...smh

I actually would enjoy seeing a trump-desantis debate...but when the dust settles, we may have one of those buffoons running our country...

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
well that certainly changes my mind...my vote shall go to desantis!!!...joe rogan...smh

I actually would enjoy seeing a trump-desantis debate...but when the dust settles, we may have one of those buffoons running our country...
My money is on Desantis.

Nov 6, 2010
I used to be a pretty avid JRE fan and still listen when guests are on that I like or find interesting. His slide to the alt-right has been incredibly disappointing.
I debated this with a friend who contended that Rogan was a far right personality, and I disagreed. I think his podcast's format is willing to indulge all sorts of conspiracies and wild ideas, which right now abound on the far right, so my take is he is simply going with the guests and probably ratings. Now I haven't watched any of his recent Spotify stuff, so that take may be out of date.

Nov 6, 2010
That's completely unsurprising
I can't really disagree too much with that statement. I hate his petty vindictiveness at times, but from what I can tell, he's a fairly well qualified administrator, not insane, and the right age. If it's between him and Trump, give me DeSantis all day. If it's between him and Biden for all the marbles, I'll either vote 3rd party or DeSantis, I just don't know enough about him to make that statement yet.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yet more proof that this guy is the absolute antithesis of what America needs right now. He is simply power-hungry and wants his way above all else and is a big government hypocrite. There is absolutely no good reason that ranked-choice voting should be banned in all local elections in Florida other than the fact that extremists are in power and they know that RCV allows people to vote what they want and not the divisive us/them that the extremists like Desantis thrive on.

The only way I would ever vote for Trump is if my only choices were Trump or Desantis.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/florida-bans-ranked-choice-voting-in-new-election-law

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill that creates a police force dedicated to pursuing voter fraud and other election crimes, but that's not all it does.

The bill signed on Monday also eliminates ranked-choice voting for all elections in Florida.

Senate Bill 524 specifically said it was "prohibiting the use of ranked-choice voting to determine election or nomination to elective office; voiding existing or future local ordinances authorizing the use of ranked choice voting."

This means cities or counties can't pass their own laws on ranked-choice voting.