DeSantis thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
voter redistrict plan put forward by DeSantis Office deemed Unconstitutional by Judge.

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1524727074342248448
The definition of gerrymandering is the manipulation of geographic boundaries to create an advantage for a party or group. Looking at the previous map it is unquestioned that is what happened. I guess gerrymandering is okay in some situations?

Interesting to take the time and look at the previous map and the map the DeSantis team submitted. If you are against gerrymandering then most would support the DeSantis map.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
The definition of gerrymandering is the manipulation of geographic boundaries to create an advantage for a party or group. Looking at the previous map it is unquestioned that is what happened. I guess gerrymandering is okay in some situations?

Interesting to take the time and look at the previous map and the map the DeSantis team submitted. If you are against gerrymandering then most would support the DeSantis map.
It's definitely weird that the old map has the northern district run the length of the area versus having it more in blocks. I guess you could say by chopping that off he is strengthening his hold on that north eastern district but at the cost of what exactly? i assume that north eastern part of the Tampa district is normally Dem is likely what the fuss is all about...

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.19.04 AM.png

Mar 11, 2006
It's definitely weird that the old map has the northern district run the length of the area versus having it more in blocks. I guess you could say by chopping that off he is strengthening his hold on that north eastern district but at the cost of what exactly? i assume that north eastern part of the Tampa district is normally Dem is likely what the fuss is all about...

View attachment 95634
And that is just the Tampa area map. Some of the "old maps" in districts around Jacksonville and Tallahassee were gerrymandered in a very unusual way.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I can't wait till DeSantis wins in 24' and puts Ted f#@king Nugent in Charge of the Ministry of Truth. Then we can edit or delete all of the horseshit lib posts on twitter and facebook etc.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Go after business AND expand govt control..yay GOP !?!?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdpHeRJNTg2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Going after business? How? Expand Government Control? No - exercising state's rights instead of letting a corporation basically institute their own country and control within the state. They had a great deal - and blew it.

Disney should pay taxes and observe Florida Law just like any other company/corporation. If not, please explain why they should keep that deal.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
And that is just the Tampa area map. Some of the "old maps" in districts around Jacksonville and Tallahassee were gerrymandered in a very unusual way.
Gerrymandering is not a Republican construct, btw. Has been widely used by both parties. Also; redrawing congressional districts is done every 10 years according to the census.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
That is one dark future.

I live in Florida - a state which kept it's kids in schools, and from the very first, protected the elderly.
Please show me one Democratic Governor who did either. Our economy hasn't stumbled - it has thrived.

Statements like yours are nonsensical, uninformed, and just plain silly partisan hatred speech - nastiness with zero substance.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Going after business? How? Expand Government Control? No - exercising state's rights instead of letting a corporation basically institute their own country and control within the state. They had a great deal - and blew it.

Disney should pay taxes and observe Florida Law just like any other company/corporation. If not, please explain why they should keep that deal.
How exactly did they blow it?