Derek Chauvin verdict

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I don’t see it that way.

The police chief says “What the video shows is a female with a knife attempting to stab the first female...”

They actually stop the video AFTER she flashes the knife but before the officer fired his weapon. Likely to avoid showing her being shot. I will agree it is hard to see the knife at the moment they paused it, but it’s a stretch to say they deceptively edited it.

Sigh indeed.
You are free to trust the media as much as you want, but half of Liberals believe the # of unarmed black men killed by police are over 1,000 per year. IN 2019 the actual # was 13.
https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/reports/Research-Report-CUPES-007.pdf
Everyone , but especially Liberals are dreadfully misinformed on this subject. News Reports like this are why

Mar 11, 2006
So now it’s “very subtle editing choices?”

The way this is being discussed it sounds like NBC went in and actually removed the knife through some tricky graphics editing. Now it seems like a stretch. I watched that video and didn’t think much about it.

She had a knife. They showed it. They mentioned it. It’s in the chyron.

Unless I’m missing something, you guys are overreacting.
Even though I 100% know that the media is bias, I agree with @TheMonkey —-I don’t think this one was that bad...comparatively.

I do, however, have two beefs with the story. But not specific to the NBC News story.
1) Race: What is the reason to list the race of the teenage girl? The fact she was black was emphasized in the very first sentence.
This is the media and NBCNews continuing to push a narrative, even when that narrative does not exist.
2) The framing of the Police officer and the potential stabbing victim: Why not frame the story as the officer potentially saved the life of someone? If this is my daughter in the pink, this cop is a hero.
Why focus on how the officer might be disciplined?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
You are free to trust the media as much as you want, but half of Liberals believe the # of unarmed black men killed by police are over 1,000 per year. IN 2019 the actual # was 13.
Everyone , but especially Liberals are dreadfully misinformed on this subject. News Reports like this are why
I don’t trust the media. I also don’t trust message boards. That’s why I watched the video with my own eyes before making up my mind. I don’t deny there is a bias in media (across the board), that’s why I don’t trust one source and I check competing viewpoints. But I don’t see an agenda in this video. If they wanted to paint her as a victim, they did a prett bad job IMHO.

Sep 3, 2010
I'm sorry but those numbers just simply don't support the race baiting narrative being put forth by the police hating left that is only interested in dividing the country and securing the black vote for another generation. Something is surely wrong with those statistics. Those numbers simply must have been put together by some racist white person that hates all people of color.:glare:

Sep 22, 2011

The way this is being discussed it sounds like NBC went in and actually removed the knife through some tricky graphics editing. Now it seems like a stretch. I watched that video and didn’t think much about it.

I'm not saying it was bad, there are a whole lot worse out there for sure, NBC is free to make the editing choices they want to, doesn't bother me at all, I don't watch NBC anyways so it makes absolutely no difference to me, but they definitely decided how they wanted the headline to read white cop shoots black teenager to get those ratings and edited the story to achieve that end

Mar 11, 2006
Unfortunately, people will just watch and consume the news that feeds their bias. Most people not only don’t know the facts, they don’t want to know the facts.

It is a divisive narrative that is being successful ripping our country apart. The truth is not currently winning. It is too importantly politically for politicians and the media to push these false narratives because it benefits them (either politically or financially).

Sep 22, 2011
I don’t trust the media. I also don’t trust message boards. That’s why I watched the video with my own eyes before making up my mind. I don’t deny there is a bias in media (across the board), that’s why I don’t trust one source and I check competing viewpoints. But I don’t see an agenda in this video. If they wanted to paint her as a victim, they did a prett bad job IMHO.
I don't think it painted her as a victim, just planted doubt and room for people to get angry about it when there really isn't any there. All that you have to do on this one is slow down the video to where you can see her about to stab the lady in pink and there is no doubt on the actions of the officer. This was done for ratings not to bolster one side or the other. Just purely to get more eyes on the video. Mission accomplished I guess, but doing stuff like this leads to losing viewers in the long run IMHO, just ask all of the clickbait article farms that have gone out of business lately.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Also, it feels like you’re moving goalposts again.
  1. You mention the NBC video and then blast Lester Holt with a tweet about not showing equal time and weightboth sides of every issue.

2. @CowboyJD addresses the quote, showing why journalism shouldn’t necessarily give equal time and weight to both sides.

3. You say the video editing shows they have more than a bias. They have an agenda.

4. I clarify he was addressing the tweet about Lester Holt regarding equal time/weight.

5. You claim it all goes back to the video.

6. I post the video and screen captures from it. I ask what’s wrong with the video.

7. Lots of hedging occurs. You make some statements about not trusting the media and quote statistics about how many unarmed black men have been shot by police. This was an armed black girl.

Are we all caught up?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Interesting alternative, although does that mean you are suggesting the officer shoot twice, then pause briefly to see what happens? Don’t take this the wrong way because I just want to understand your thought process. What if it didn’t work? The innocent party would then be the victim rather than the one with the knife. As you said, he got those 4 shots off quickly which comes from training and adrenaline, so even with 2 rubber bullets what leads you to believe he or she would be able to control the adrenaline and hold up at 2 shots?
You know a post is really crazy if it gets me and @OSUgradndad85 on the same side of an argument. :D
I think it just proves that with actual discussion on multiple different topics, it's easy to actually find common ground with each other on one or more of them. I honestly doubt that would happen with some posters on here that I don't seem to agree with anything on. It's a small list.
As much as I've argued with them I have agreed on stuff with CowboyJD and Binman and cowboyinexile and most of the other posters on here that I tend to disagree with more often. So I don't mind a rousing argument once in a while with them if I know that I can agree with them on some other things. It makes us human

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Also, it feels like you’re moving goalposts again.
  1. You mention the NBC video and then blast Lester Holt with a tweet about not showing equal time and weightboth sides of every issue.

2. @CowboyJD addresses the quote, showing why journalism shouldn’t necessarily give equal time and weight to both sides.

3. You say the video editing shows they have more than a bias. They have an agenda.

4. I clarify he was addressing the tweet about Lester Holt regarding equal time/weight.

5. You claim it all goes back to the video.

6. I post the video and screen captures from it. I ask what’s wrong with the video.

7. Lots of hedging occurs. You make some statements about not trusting the media and quote statistics about how many unarmed black men have been shot by police. This was an armed black girl.

Are we all caught up?
The video was deceptively edited. Lester Holt is on record saying he doesn't think reporters should bother to give both sides of a story, I posted poll results showing how misinformed people are about the subject of police shootings.

I dunno, man I think you seem like the confused one. It's ok, most libtards are.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Even though I 100% know that the media is bias, I agree with @TheMonkey —-I don’t think this one was that bad...comparatively.

I do, however, have two beefs with the story. But not specific to the NBC News story.
1) Race: What is the reason to list the race of the teenage girl? The fact she was black was emphasized in the very first sentence.
This is the media and NBCNews continuing to push a narrative, even when that narrative does not exist.
2) The framing of the Police officer and the potential stabbing victim: Why not frame the story as the officer potentially saved the life of someone? If this is my daughter in the pink, this cop is a hero.
Why focus on how the officer might be disciplined?
The real beef should be that this shouldn’t be a national story in the first place. None of us should have ever known that this happened and the only reason we do is that a narrative is being pushed.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The video was deceptively edited. Lester Holt is on record saying he doesn't think reporters should bother to give both sides of a story, I posted poll results showing how misinformed people are about the subject of police shootings.

I dunno, man I think you seem like the confused one. It's ok, most libtards are.
OK. I recounted the whole conversation point-by-point. You retaliated with broad generalizations and calling me a confused libtard (sorry to burst your bubble, but I’ve stated on here many times I am a lifelong Republican).

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.
- Margaret Thatcher

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
OK. I recounted the whole conversation point-by-point. You retaliated with broad generalizations and calling me a confused libtard (sorry to burst your bubble, but I’ve stated on here many times I am a lifelong Republican).
Deep breath....

Pigeons....

Chess....

Not worth it.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I'm not saying it was bad, there are a whole lot worse out there for sure, NBC is free to make the editing choices they want to, doesn't bother me at all, I don't watch NBC anyways so it makes absolutely no difference to me, but they definitely decided how they wanted the headline to read white cop shoots black teenager to get those ratings and edited the story to achieve that end
Another example of what happens when someone does not have the facts.
Sorry about the source. I didn't want to link directly to tiktok

https://amp.dailycaller.com/2021/04/23/mpd-officer-savage-response-heckler

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

I see we need to remind you that it was also NBC that purposely edited Zimmerman’s 911 call. My how you conveniently forget things.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I see we need to remind you that it was also NBC that purposely edited Zimmerman’s 911 call. My how you conveniently forget things.
OK. An audio edit from 9 years ago. The Zimmerman audio was egregious, but it doesn’t means this video was deceitfully edited.