Demo of Old Buildings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 2, 2011
I was just curious if anyone had any idea when some of the old buildings that have been replaced would be coming down

I was thinking of

1) old business
2) old power plant
3) KD

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It amazes me that KD is still there given that I left in 2005 and it was due for demo way back then.
I had heard that the cost of demo was really expensive. Plus they are using some of the lower floors for storage. However with them running out of room for on campus living for students this year I wonder if they will try to tear them down and put something else in their place.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I had heard that the cost of demo was really expensive. Plus they are using some of the lower floors for storage. However with them running out of room for on campus living for students this year I wonder if they will try to tear them down and put something else in their place.
I wonder if they will try to USE them. I kinda find humor in the fact they're short on living space while they've got 24 floors of vacant rooms. They weren't THAT bad when I left a decade ago but that might not be the case after sitting empty and likely not climate controlled. At least they're solidly built.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I wonder if they will try to USE them. I kinda find humor in the fact they're short on living space while they've got 24 floors of vacant rooms. They weren't THAT bad when I left a decade ago but that might not be the case after sitting empty and likely not climate controlled. At least they're solidly built.
I have heard they are not livable at this point. Like people have fallen through the floors. Only the lowest sections are even being used for storage.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
KD doesn't meet current safety codes. Elevators in particular. They were grandfathered as long as they could be and it would cost millions to bring them up to code. Power plant is waiting on $$ to demo. The old business building is being used by groups that are displaced due to construction / renovation of their own offices. Engineering is undergoing major reno. Some Ag folks may be displaced at some point.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
The old powerplant would be a perfect space for a student-athlete academic center. So many universities have built incredible facilities for that support. We are certainly lacking.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
KD doesn't meet current safety codes. Elevators in particular.
Those elevators probably didn't meet health codes either now that I think about it. lol. When I was on K9 as a freshman I definitely made it a point NOT to touch the walls. I moved down to K3 after that and just always took the stairs (priority single room on the end, east facing) so I'd just completely forgotten about those elevators until now.

Aug 2, 2011
The old powerplant would be a perfect space for a student-athlete academic center. So many universities have built incredible facilities for that support. We are certainly lacking.
Thats a good idea!

I just hate that its prime real estste and its just sitting there for no purpose right now

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Stillwater is having a building boom now and there will be some million dollar Condos by Boomer Lake built in the next year. Don't really see buying a condo for that much looking over Boomer Lake unless athletes have extra money to blow with all the NIL endorsements! Might buy it for that much money overlooking the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean, but Boomer Lake is man made water supply for Stillwater.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Stillwater is having a building boom now and there will be some million dollar Condos by Boomer Lake built in the next year. Don't really see buying a condo for that much looking over Boomer Lake unless athletes have extra money to blow with all the NIL endorsements! Might buy it for that much money overlooking the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean, but Boomer Lake is man made water supply for Stillwater.
Where are they going?

Dec 9, 2013
Where the David Payne monument is or the water place?
I believe it is on the same corner as the water place but will be adjacent to the water place and the life net building. I think they are tearing down or remodeling the power plant but not completely sure so please don’t take my word as gospel on this. Also, quality water has the building for lease so I can’t imagine it is part of the original project.