Defensive Line - Best Under Gundy?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Obviously a lot of talent was lost from last year's defense. The one key exception to that is the defensive line.

It looks like a loaded position, maybe as loaded as I've ever seen it. Lots of returning talent and experience.

Brock Martin - 1st team All-Big 12

Tyler Lacy - Honorable mention All-Big 12

Brendon Evers - 22 career starts, solid performer

Colin Oliver - 2nd team All-Big 12, Freshman All-American

Trace Ford - Honorable mention All-Big 12 ('19 & '20)

Then you've got a couple other talented guys: Sione Asi, Collin Clay, Tyren Irby, Nathan Latu, Aden Kelley...

How do you think this unit will perform? Where does it rank amongst other defensive lines in Gundy's tenure? How do you see the rotation playing out?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Obviously a lot of talent was lost from last year's defense. The one key exception to that is the defensive line.

It looks like a loaded position, maybe as loaded as I've ever seen it. Lots of returning talent and experience.

Brock Martin - 1st team All-Big 12

Tyler Lacy - Honorable mention All-Big 12

Brendon Evers - 22 career starts, solid performer

Colin Oliver - 2nd team All-Big 12, Freshman All-American

Trace Ford - Honorable mention All-Big 12 ('19 & '20)

Then you've got a couple other talented guys: Sione Asi, Collin Clay, Tyren Irby, Nathan Latu, Aden Kelley...

How do you think this unit will perform? Where does it rank amongst other defensive lines in Gundy's tenure? How do you see the rotation playing out?

Maybe our Lbs performed so well b cause the monsters up front kept the OL occupied and prevented them from attacking the next level?

Maybe the secondary performed well because the DL was pressuring the qb relentlessly?

Our defense will be just as good this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Maybe our Lbs performed so well b cause the monsters up front kept the OL occupied and prevented them from attacking the next level?

Maybe the secondary performed well because the DL was pressuring the qb relentlessly?

Our defense will be just as good this year.

If you can rush 4 and still get pressure it takes a lot off the plate of the guys behind them. I agree that while the defense is losing a bunch of guys the unit should still be solid because the front four is going to be so dominant.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think it’s clearly the best defensive line we’ve had in the Gundy era.

I am curious how much it will be Evers in the rotation versus Asi who’s the more traditional nose.

I think it’ll be interesting match up wise, as if the the league moves back to a bit more of the air it out approach, I don’t see why this defense can’t be as good as last year’s… it may not feel like it if all the offenses get better, but I think we can maintain the gap of our defense vs other defenses.

If the Big 12 stays as running game heavy as it’s been for the last 2 years, our lack of elite interior defender like Antwine and inexperience at LB will cost us more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I think it’s clearly the best defensive line we’ve had in the Gundy era.

I am curious how much it will be Evers in the rotation versus Asi who’s the more traditional nose.

I think it’ll be interesting match up wise, as if the the league moves back to a bit more of the air it out approach, I don’t see why this defense can’t be as good as last year’s… it may not feel like it if all the offenses get better, but I think we can maintain the gap of our defense vs other defenses.

If the Big 12 stays as running game heavy as it’s been for the last 2 years, our lack of elite interior defender like Antwine and inexperience at LB will cost us more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume Evers and Asi will have a pretty even snap count.

I'm really interested in Clay and Kelley. Can they live up to some of the hype they've gotten in the past and contribute. If not, DT doesn't have a ton of depth.

I also assume Lacy will get a lot snaps on the interior, particularly on 3rd down.

Aug 26, 2004
There’s no replacing Rodriguez; and Harper was outstanding too. Add in the losses in the secondary, and I think we drop off a bit.
I understand where you were headed with this but we are now hopefully at the attitude, position and expectations that OSU is at a reloading point. That gets us over the hump that OSU has had for years.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not DL but I was selfishly bummed when KHP decided to go pro. I thought he was a huge part of the defense and thought we had a chance to keep him and develop him into an early round pick.But I wished him well as I do all cowboys.

I saw that he went undrafted, signed with the Texans, injured his hamstring, and Houston waived him. Being injured rookie free agent at this time of year is almost a career death sentence. Hopefully he can come back and get a shot with some one else. I feel bad for him.

Nov 6, 2010
Not DL but I was selfishly bummed when KHP decided to go pro. I thought he was a huge part of the defense and thought we had a chance to keep him and develop him into an early round pick.But I wished him well as I do all cowboys.

I saw that he went undrafted, signed with the Texans, injured his hamstring, and Houston waived him. Being injured rookie free agent at this time of year is almost a career death sentence. Hopefully he can come back and get a shot with some one else. I feel bad for him.
Definitely a huge part of our defense, but disagree he could have changed his NFL prospects with another year. At that point in his career, he is what he is, and the measurables just weren't there. Another year would have made him a year older in a profession where youth is valuable. NFL scouts already knew he could play the game, but he was being evaluated against kids a year or two younger than him and a step or two faster.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Since we're at least on the topic of defense, what specific roles to Bill and Gary each play as Defensive Analyst? Are they strictly analysts for upcoming opponents, or do they also provide input regarding defensive personnel skills, adjustments, etc.?

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I understand where you were headed with this but we are now hopefully at the attitude, position and expectations that OSU is at a reloading point. That gets us over the hump that OSU has had for years.
I think we have LB talent, just not s lot of experience, aside from Benson.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
What are the expectations on sack totals for the unit?

I assume Oliver will see an uptick. He had 10.5 last year. Ogbah had 12.5 sacks in '15. That is very much in reach.

Single season is record is 16 (Leslie O'Neal, '84). That seems very unlikely but I wouldn't say impossible. If that were the case, he'd be in the Heisman conversation.

I think he'll get 10+ again. If I had to pick a number... I'd go with 12.

Nov 8, 2013

I assume Oliver will see an uptick. He had 10.5 last year. Ogbah had 12.5 sacks in '15. That is very much in reach.

Single season is record is 16 (Leslie O'Neal, '84). That seems very unlikely but I wouldn't say impossible. If that were the case, he'd be in the Heisman conversation.

Watching Leslie O'Neal in 1984 was great. Hope we get to see something similar with Oliver this year. I'd also be thrilled with a ton of sacks distributed across the entire line and not all focused on one person.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
On paper the line appears to be perhaps the best in our history. This is the main reason I'm excited for this team...that and a returning starter at QB. IF we can fix the OL we are going to be mega stout...just like, or even better, than last year. It will be a mix of veterans and hungry young guns.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Depends on how many reps he gets. With Martin and Ford there will be a lot of rotation

Dec 21, 2008
Thing with Oliver is teams will game plan against him. Nice asset having Lacy and Brock on the opposite side so hard to double team or chip one side. Best thing about Oliver is his pursuit ability. He is not just a one quick step guy, he is a very fast pursuit runner. With our schemes of disruption and chaos, Oliver can chase for 5-10secs and catch QBs. I don't think there will be many dual threat guys in the big 12 this year so they should be pretty stationary in the backfield. Excited to see Trace back..he could be a top 4 round guy we have forgotten about. All he has done for 18mos are whole body and speed workouts

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Thing with Oliver is teams will game plan against him. Nice asset having Lacy and Brock on the opposite side so hard to double team or chip one side. Best thing about Oliver is his pursuit ability. He is not just a one quick step guy, he is a very fast pursuit runner. With our schemes of disruption and chaos, Oliver can chase for 5-10secs and catch QBs. I don't think there will be many dual threat guys in the big 12 this year so they should be pretty stationary in the backfield. Excited to see Trace back..he could be a top 4 round guy we have forgotten about. All he has done for 18mos are whole body and speed workouts
I'm probably most excited about Trace Ford.

He looked like he was just going to explode into the All-Big 12, maybe All-American tier but injuries derailed him twice. Hopefully that hasn't effected his athleticism.

If he were to hit that ceiling it looked like he once had, OSU could legitimately have two All-American caliber pass rushers - All-Big 12 at least.

Nov 6, 2010
I don't think it's quite that clear cut. From what I saw from the Knowles defense, he wanted to have only 3 down lineman, one being a quick pass rusher (Oliver/Ford/Bundage) and then a big DE like Lacy. Then having only 2 true LB's and 5 traditional DB's. Obviously the idea was to get more speed on the field to stop the spread, but then there was one additional guy to be a utility player so to speak. I remember him putting Ford in a MLB position as an example. That guy might be Martin next year, or Ford if he is truly recovered, but I think the key is do we have an anchor in the interior to allow us to get away with this same philosophy without giving up too much in the run game, meaning how much will we miss Antwine.