Dear Coach Mike

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
It looked to me as if we changed the way we run our WR screen. Before we would put trips out wide and three DBs were right on our WRs. Against KSU, it was just 2 WRs, at least in the plays I recall. If I, as a fan can tell we're running a WR screen you know the opponent's coaches know we're running a WR screen.

Good call on changing up that play.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I heard Gundy say last night on the Coach's Show that has stressed to Weiberg the importance of bringing former players back to the games. There is supposed to be quite a few players from the 2011 team coming back for Homecoming. I've heard this has been an issue in the past were we didn't welcome back former players all that well. Hopefully this is a good change for the future.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I heard Gundy say last night on the Coach's Show that has stressed to Weiberg the importance of bringing former players back to the games. There is supposed to be quite a few players from the 2011 team coming back for Homecoming. I've heard this has been an issue in the past were we didn't welcome back former players all that well. Hopefully this is a good change for the future.
https://twitter.com/kklintworth/status/1442841626364166150?s=21

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
But the dumb thing Gundy said was "it hasn't happened in the past because it wasn't anyone's job. If you make it someone's job to engage former players it will happen".

Duh- Head Coach, if it isn't your job specifically then it is at least your job to delegate it to someone, so it was in fact your job !!!!!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But the dumb thing Gundy said was "it hasn't happened in the past because it wasn't anyone's job. If you make it someone's job to engage former players it will happen".

Duh- Head Coach, if it isn't your job specifically then it is at least your job to delegate it to someone, so it was in fact your job !!!!!!
And…he just did it…

btw…
Dear Coach Gundy…

I think you are well aware of this already, but please, on all matters of coaching completely ignore internet fan message board posters, radio talk show host, and short time fans…they don’t have the experience necessary in your position to advice you on a single solitary thing.

Thanks, and please keep on ignoring!!!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011

I don’t think outreach was necessarily the issue. We all know that Holder is a tightwad. It costs money to host these gatherings, and Holder only put resources into those alums giving back. It also costs to staff a position. Charging or merely giving a small discount for tickets is certainly not conducive to bringing back former players, but hey, that was Holder’s philosophy. That’s why you see Gundy making it a priority with Weiberg.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If Hutton were a golfer...I would think of him as a very skilled wedge player. He can be precise with his punts. However if you need a 300+ yard bomb with a lot of that carry, he's not the guy. Basically we have Zach Johnson as our punter...good guy, strong wedge player, below avg long ball.
Gundy was so impressed with UT's Tom, Aussie, punter he wanted one of his own.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
If Hutton were a golfer...I would think of him as a very skilled wedge player. He can be precise with his punts. However if you need a 300+ yard bomb with a lot of that carry, he's not the guy. Basically we have Zach Johnson as our punter...good guy, strong wedge player, below avg long ball.
Gundy was so impressed with UT's Tom, Aussie, punter he wanted one of his own.
That UT punter was insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2004
Would like to agree with Big Daddy on Coach Gundy taking some time away from game prep each week and work on ways to get past players back. Seems like a wise observation.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Direct quote from Gundy from his radio show on Monday night regarding kickers: "those guys essentially coach themselves".

We are getting out of our kickers what the coaching staff is putting into them.

Oct 6, 2012
I agree it should have been delegated. The question is who's job is it to do the delegating? I'm definitely not a "Gundy is omniscient and should never be questioned" guy, but I don't think this task would/should be his necessarily. Gundy's job is to win football games. He needs to recruit young men that help him win football games and hire coaches that coach those young men to win football games. His job is to oversee those young men and coaches to represent the university in a positive way while helping the young men get a degree and become better men because they were part of the program. I'm not sure alumni relations would fall under any of those categories. In my mind, and I could be wrong, this would be the job of the AD or probably more aptly one of the Associate AD's.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK

Pat and Eric G talked quite a bit about these Gundy comments today. It evidently isn't/wasn't up to the coach(es) but the AD. Pat didn't come right out and say it with those exact words, but that was what he implied.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Direct quote from Gundy from his radio show on Monday night regarding kickers: "those guys essentially coach themselves".

We are getting out of our kickers what the coaching staff is putting into them.
True to a certain extent, however, until we can get a Matt Ammendola or Dan Bailey on the coaching staff to directly work with the kickers on their issues, I'm not quite sure we currently have the expertise to do something different than just let them coach themselves.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I don’t think outreach was necessarily the issue. We all know that Holder is a tightwad. It costs money to host these gatherings, and Holder only put resources into those alums giving back. It also costs to staff a position. Charging or merely giving a small discount for tickets is certainly not conducive to bringing back former players, but hey, that was Holder’s philosophy. That’s why you see Gundy making it a priority with Weiberg.
I have a feeling that quite a few things will change now that holder is out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk