Dear Coach Mike

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2009
The kicking game is not looking good.
Field goal kicking is not good.
Punting is inconsistent even pedestrian.
Kickoff return coverage also inconsistent.
Please fix it going forward. Or it will cost the team a win. JMHO

PS…..Find someone to field punts who is not a star player that you can’t afford to lose to injury to some special team kamikaze.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama

PS…..Find someone to field punts who is not a star player that you can’t afford to lose to injury to some special team kamikaze.
Definitely stuff to work on, but there was a ton of improvement this week. Gundy talked about some of these things in his press conference. What I want to see is a team that gets better as the year goes on, and so far I like the trajectory.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

We had one of, if not the best punting ever in last weeks game at Boise that significantly helped us to victory. Then last night we had several impressive punts and punt coverage. So not sure where you are getting pedestrian punting from. Also our kickoffs were really good last night except for the one bust, though the kick was great in that, just not the tackling. I agree on field goals though as that is becoming a real area of concern that could cost us.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
We had one of, if not the best punting ever in last weeks game at Boise that significantly helped us to victory. Then last night we had several impressive punts and punt coverage. So not sure where you are getting pedestrian punting from. Also our kickoffs were really good last night except for the one bust, though the kick was great in that, just not the tackling. I agree on field goals though as that is becoming a real area of concern that could cost us.
I would agree that Hutton is very good at directional punting, but we consistently lose field position due to his short punts.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Man you really care for the health of our players. "Find someone to field punts who is not a star player that you can’t afford to lose to injury to some special team kamikaze". Bet you like boxing where the opponents are not equally matched.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker

have to disagree with most everything you state.

First, field goal kicking is fine inside 40 yards. It is not good outside of 40. give you a wee tip o'the hat.
Second, Punting average is 41.5yds/boot which puts us 92nd. if you add 5 yards to that we would be 22nd. We are 10th in the nation in opponent punt returns, and Punting stats are weak on "inside the 20" numbers as well. Our punting/punt coverage has been fine. Hardly "pedestrian". you get a Finger wag.
Kickoff return coverage had one breakdown. Without that breakdown they would be top 20. They have also pinned teams deep on multiple occasions.

As far as fielding punts go, we used to use our "lock-down" corner for returns. no complaints. There is a risk anytime they put on cleats.

Your glass "half-full of bile" approach is hurting the fan base. Please fix it going forward. ;)

JohnW

Greenhorn
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
It seems to me the Coaches Poll has more faith in Gundy than most fans including me do. I know its said coaches delegate their vote to a staff member but as we beat KSU saturday I had to think perhaps the coahes poll has a better handle on this team then I do. I like the trend and being 4 and 0. Im going to keep cheering out Cowboys on and watch and enjoy and see if the coaches poll is right or not

marshmo

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2013
have to disagree with most everything you state.

First, field goal kicking is fine inside 40 yards. It is not good outside of 40. give you a wee tip o'the hat.
Second, Punting average is 41.5yds/boot which puts us 92nd. if you add 5 yards to that we would be 22nd. We are 10th in the nation in opponent punt returns, and Punting stats are weak on "inside the 20" numbers as well. Our punting/punt coverage has been fine. Hardly "pedestrian". you get a Finger wag.
Kickoff return coverage had one breakdown. Without that breakdown they would be top 20. They have also pinned teams deep on multiple occasions.

As far as fielding punts go, we used to use our "lock-down" corner for returns. no complaints. There is a risk anytime they put on cleats.

Your glass "half-full of bile" approach is hurting the fan base. Please fix it going forward. ;)
Take out the bad, it's good.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I would agree that Hutton is very good at directional punting, but we consistently lose field position due to his short punts.
This is very much the correct answer. Hutton can pin the other team, but he’s not a field flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
This is very much the correct answer. Hutton can pin the other team, but he’s not a field flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Hutton were a golfer...I would think of him as a very skilled wedge player. He can be precise with his punts. However if you need a 300+ yard bomb with a lot of that carry, he's not the guy. Basically we have Zach Johnson as our punter...good guy, strong wedge player, below avg long ball.