Deadlam 2022

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I don’t know why OSU would want to be stuck with the same non con opponent every year. The list of great teams to play a home and home schedule is endless and with better options than normand ok

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
I don’t know why OSU would want to be stuck with the same non con opponent every year. The list of great teams to play a home and home schedule is endless and with better options than normand ok
I listed a few good reasons. One of them would be that it’s the single biggest sporting event in the state every year. Is the third most watched rivalry game in the country. At least it was last season. And they would get to host that game every other year.

I don’t know who you guys are gonna play that’s going to generate nearly as much interest every year. But it’s really valuable to a program.

And another really good reason, is the simple fact that at this point, I am not sure of that they even have a real rival if they don’t play Oklahoma.

Like for real, who would it be in your opinion? maybe some of these new schools coming in can generate some of that animosity but it’ll take time. Rivalries are the best part of college football.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I listed a few good reasons. One of them would be that it’s the single biggest sporting event in the state every year. Is the third most watched rivalry game in the country. At least it was last season. And they would get to host that game every other year.

I don’t know who you guys are gonna play that’s going to generate nearly as much interest every year. But it’s really valuable to a program.

And another really good reason, is the simple fact that at this point, I am not sure of that they even have a real rival if they don’t play Oklahoma.

Like for real, who would it be in your opinion? maybe some of these new schools coming in can generate some of that animosity but it’ll take time. Rivalries are the best part of college football.
I'm sure that was brought up in SEC negotiations.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

I'm sure that was brought up in SEC negotiations.
I’m sure whoever negotiates the media rights with the big 12 might be interested in airing bedlam in the future

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
OU fans, including you, seem to want Bedlam to continue far, far, far more than we & OSU does. OSU is moving on, and I am 100% sure our proactive administration has been in negotiations with the most beneficial non-con opponents. Now OU wants to throw their hat in the ring to be selected as one of those.

I know you have no influence, but as a fan, what are you willing for OU to concede to get a spot on our schedule? Money? Home/home/away?

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
I’m sure whoever negotiates the media rights with the big 12 might be interested in airing bedlam in the future
There's no such thing now to stream, air or broadcast
Money has a way of making things happen. But I do understand why you’d prefer to play the South Dakota states and south alabamas Instead. Who would sign up for a series that you historically lose 90% of the time? To the credit of Tulsa, they just signed a pretty sizable agreement with an Oklahoma state team that has beaten them nine times in a row. Good for them, they have some moxie. There’s also an element of butthurt that OK state is still upset that Oklahoma left for a superior conference. They seem scorned. They shouldn’t be

I don’t know how you guys can get up for those other matchups though. As fans. Nothing beats playing your rival.

Last edited:

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
OU fans, including you, seem to want Bedlam to continue far, far, far more than we & OSU does. OSU is moving on, and I am 100% sure our proactive administration has been in negotiations with the most beneficial non-con opponents. Now OU wants to throw their hat in the ring to be selected as one of those.

I know you have no influence, but as a fan, what are you willing for OU to concede to get a spot on our schedule? Money? Home/home/away?
Rivalries are the best aspect of this sport. I just want to maintain one of the best. What’s wrong with that?

I would concede an open week every September. But I’d prefer the game to be played later in the season

Then you get to host what is currently the third most watched rivalry game in the country every other year. $exy.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Rivalries are the best aspect of this sport. I just want to maintain one of the best. What’s wrong with that?

I would concede an open week every September. But I’d prefer the game to be played later in the season

Then you get to host what is currently the third most watched rivalry game in the country every other year. $exy.
Yeah, it sucks OU chose to end the annual rivalry and historically one of the most important and impactful conference games. Even if we were to play it, non-cons are far less interesting than one that could determine a conference championship. But that's 100% on you guys.

And I guess your answer is...nothing? It's not important enough to concede anything? We could just as well schedule a rematch with Notre Dame who has a far bigger fanbase than OU?

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Yeah, it sucks OU chose to end the annual rivalry and historically one of the most important and impactful conference games. Even if we were to play it, non-cons are far less interesting than one that could determine a conference championship. But that's 100% on you guys.

And I guess your answer is...nothing? It's not important enough to concede anything? We could just as well schedule a rematch with Notre Dame who has a far bigger fanbase than OU?
They chose to end their affiliation with a $hitty conference, the rivalry can remain.

OU has more eyeballs watching than notre dame. And then after the home and homeseries is over with, then what? you're still stuck without a rival. Little else generates fan interest than a familiar rivalry game. As i said, bedlam was the 3rd most watched rivalry game in the country last year. It 2x as many viewers as nd/usc. It had more viewers than OU texas!

And no, there would be no reason to concede anything. This rivalry benefits both programs. You seem not to understand the benefit of having 6 million+ people watching your team play a big game against a perennial contender every year, and getting to host it every other year. It'll generate more interest than the south dakota state game in 2024 & murray state in 2026. and whatever cupcake osu schedules in 2025.

I totally get it from their perspective, what do they gain from playing in a game they lose 90% of the time? That's the real question, and is why we are at an impasse. But there are reasons, and even if you lose most of the time, it's a game worth playing.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
They chose to end their affiliation with a $hitty conference, the rivalry can remain.

OU has more eyeballs watching than notre dame. And then after the home and homeseries is over with, then what? you're still stuck without a rival.

And no, there would be no reason to concede anything. This rivalry benefits both programs. You seem not to understand the benefit of having 6 million+ people watching your team play a big game against a perennial contender every year, and getting to host it every other year.

I totally get it from their perspective, what do they gain from playing in a game they lose 90% of the time? That's the real question, and is why we are at an impasse. But there are reasons, and even if you lose most of the time, it's a game worth playing.
While Joe C was doing his shady backroom dealings with the SEC, maybe he could've called up his (apparently) uber-important rival and negotiated a longterm side deal. He didn't think ahead. And now he's crying about it.

Now you/OU really wants something, but you insist that we/OSU go out of their way to make it happen? In the past, maybe playing OU was the biggest fish we had to fry. Now we have built ourselves into a standalone, perennial Top 10/15 team. We don't need you whatsoever. Sorry.

And to say OU has more fans than Notre Dame just goes to show how vastly overvalued your program is in your OU media-warped brain. You're not even Top 16:
https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...s-ohio-state-texas-alabama-georgia-notre-dame

Oct 30, 2012
While Joe C was doing his shady backroom dealings with the SEC, maybe he could've called up his (apparently) uber-important rival and negotiated a longterm side deal. He didn't think ahead. And now he's crying about it.

Now you/OU really wants something, but you insist that we/OSU go out of their way to make it happen? In the past, maybe playing OU was the biggest fish we had to fry. Now we have built ourselves into a standalone, perennial Top 10/15 team. We don't need you whatsoever. Sorry.

And to say OU has more fans than Notre Dame just goes to show how vastly overvalued your program is in your OU media-warped brain. You're not even Top 16:
https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...s-ohio-state-texas-alabama-georgia-notre-dame
100% spot on.

I just can't figure out why Ou fans can't understand this. It's like they're so arrogant and have so much pride that they can neve admit when their university has made a mistake or is in the wrong. If the rivalry was so important, Joe C should've thought about it when doing these behind the doors negotiations. He didn't and guess what, that's is perfectly fine. Ou made a decision that is best for them and is 100% understandable. Ok State would have taken the opportunity as well. But don't try to sit back and play the victim when Ok. State admin move on after what's been done. Literally I can't make sense of it.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
100% spot on.

I just can't figure out why Ou fans can't understand this. It's like they're so arrogant and have so much pride that they can neve admit when their university has made a mistake or is in the wrong. If the rivalry was so important, Joe C should've thought about it when doing these behind the doors negotiations. He didn't and guess what, that's is perfectly fine. Ou made a decision that is best for them and is 100% understandable. Ok State would have taken the opportunity as well. But don't try to sit back and play the victim when Ok. State admin move on after what's been done. Literally I can't make sense of it.
He didn't make a side deal because he didn't want anyone to know.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
OU has more eyeballs watching than notre dame.
You just like to throw feces and see if it sticks.

Not a one of you were thinking about Bedlam when the SEC move was announced.

I told everyone at the time ou had just killed Bedlam, and not just in football. I feel sorry for what's left of your wrestling team, they'll all have to find new schools.

But you make yourselves believe it OSU's fault. The hypocrisy is funny.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
OU alum and fan, who has a ton of sources in Norman, stating the obvious. Only blind fans would believe otherwise.

https://twitter.com/markrsports/status/1572416300256837634?s=21&t=fLulPSOPaAc7t_KK_bkR2Q

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
OU moved conferences. this game would be a great non conference match up. why do you suppose osu is too scared to schedule it? It's their most watched game every year.
The same reason OU was too scared to maintain OU/Nebraska over the course of a decade. OU wasn't going to bend over backwards to cater to a deserting coward. Same applies here unless OU wants to pay the cancelation fee for our games that are already scheduled. Seeing that their up passed their ass in debt, I already know the answer to that.

There's going to be a demand for Bedlam and this is going to work out in OSU's favor one way or another if we hold off. Does TV value Bedlam that much? If so, work those closed door deals in the next conference realignment for us. We're not playing Bedlam at the current discount price. So, in the meantime, we'll enjoy the OU hissy fit. OU isn't used to not getting their way, so this is absolutely f'n hilarious to see y'all act like Bedlam has always been so so so so super duper important.

If I was the AD, I'd tell OU to kiss my ass first if Bedlam is so damn important. Then and only thenwe'll agree to Bedlam every year in Stillwater. It'll cost y'all a million dollars paid to us each game, the refs are Big 12, and you have to have a season ticket to get in. Don't like it? Tough sh!t. Go cry to Daddy Del Conte about it and maybe he'll cover more of the costs y'all can't afford.