Deadlam 2022

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Tennessee actually has expectations of a head coach, expects them to be able to recruit and win.

He’s had one conference championship in 18 seasons and zero post season appearances.

The article says he’s personally contacted Tennessee not because he was really serious about taking the job. But because he knew he could milk y’all for more money because you know damn good and well no one else is coming to Stillwater and staying.

You guys are codependent on Gundy. And deep down you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lane Kiffin 2009 7-6
Derek Dooley 2010-2012 15-21
Butch Jones 2013-2017 34-27
Jeremy Pruitt 2018-2020 16-19
Josh Heupel 2021-present 7-6

Exactly what are their expectations of their coach again? To hire bad ones, fire/run them off, and essentially do nothing in CFB for over a decade? :facepalm:

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Tennessee actually has expectations of a head coach, expects them to be able to recruit and win.

He’s had one conference championship in 18 seasons and zero post season appearances.

The article says he’s personally contacted Tennessee not because he was really serious about taking the job. But because he knew he could milk y’all for more money because you know damn good and well no one else is coming to Stillwater and staying.

Lane Kiffin 2009 7-6
Derek Dooley 2010-2012 15-21
Butch Jones 2013-2017 34-27
Jeremy Pruitt 2018-2020 16-19
Josh Heupel 2021-present 7-6

Exactly what are their expectations of their coach again? To hire bad ones, fire/run them off, and essentially do nothing in CFB for over a decade? :facepalm:
This is what I think, gundy is the best OK state can get. Both parties know it.

Which is a good and a bad thing.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

The article also said they offered him $42mil. They realized Gundy was meeting their expectations in Stillwater.

You can read, but you always choose to play dumb. Now play dumb with this. Looks like y’all aren’t above making up random accolades. Hypocrisy U

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1560351225572233216?s=20&t=IuUEWCmkmdi0PwofHyWJrA

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
This is what I think, gundy is the best OK state can get. Both parties know it.

Which is a good and a bad thing.
I might catch sh!t for this but it could be true. It’s why we live with Gundy, the good and the bad. Until we get someone better, it remains to be seen. He has to really tank for us to move on. Fortunately, that doesn’t ever happen and we he comes close he always bounces back. New Big 12 will be interesting time for the end of the Gundy era.

Y’all can hate on him all you want but before we had him, we didn’t know what it was like to have the success he’s had as HC.

TypicalGooner

Banned
Banned
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I might catch sh!t for this but it could be true. It’s why we live with Gundy, the good and the bad. Until we get someone better, it remains to be seen. He has to really tank for us to move on. Fortunately, that doesn’t ever happen and we he comes close he always bounces back. New Big 12 will be interesting time for the end of the Gundy era.

Y’all can hate on him all you want but before we had him, we didn’t know what it was like to have the success he’s had as HC.
I mean yeah. But you guys clown on Oklahoma all the time, but at least they have expectations in Norman and a high water mark.

Yet, in your own program, those things don’t exist. Glass houses and throwing stones and all.

TypicalGooner

Banned
Banned
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Venables is the best ou can get, and it was a step down...
The best defensive mind in the country who brought the best available offense coordinator and the best defensive line coach in the country.

Venables is also recruiting at a ridiculously high level and saved the program from a meltdown as soon as he took over and landed even more recruits because of it.

You have absolutely no legs to stand on here.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
I mean yeah. But you guys clown on Oklahoma all the time, but at least they have expectations in Norman and a high water mark.

Yet, in your own program, those things don’t exist. Glass houses and throwing stones and all.

Wait.. are you saying we can’t make fun of OU because they delusionaly expect to win the NC every year and OSU doesn’t?

Did you make that rule up before or after OU made up their 1974 Coaches Poll trophy?

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
The best defensive mind in the country who brought the best available offense coordinator and the best defensive line coach in the country.

Venables is also recruiting at a ridiculously high level and saved the program from a meltdown as soon as he took over and landed even more recruits because of it.

You have absolutely no legs to stand on here.

You guys ran BV off, brought him back later as a HC and labeled him and his staff all the best ever.

Pretending is a big thing in Norman. Y’all can just make up anything on the spot.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
You guys ran BV off, brought him back later as a HC and labeled him and his staff all the best ever.

Pretending is a big thing in Norman. Y’all can just make up anything on the spot.
Yup. They "pretend" Lebby isn't a piece of trash as well. :derp:

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
So you think Venables is a long term solution in Norman?
Well, he's energized the donors, and they had a record year of donations since he was hired. He's laying down a long term foundation that is getting a lot of buy in from his players and recruits around the country. Everything he's doing has been awesome so far. All it is now is a matter of how he performs on the sideline in game. But all the off field stuff he has been A+ so far. The position coach and OC hires were very good. He has a deeper commitment to all the little things from having more support staff, more involvement from previous players, the SOUL mission, new chefs, to new equipment and some new facilities. I really love the foundational work being done behind the scenes which is where a lot of new head coaches fail at. Stuff that has been needed for a while, stuff that even the previous staff complained about not getting. Looks like OU and their donors are opening up check books that weren't open for the last staff

TypicalGooner

Banned
Banned
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Wait.. are you saying we can’t make fun of OU because they delusionaly expect to win the NC every year and OSU doesn’t?

Did you make that rule up before or after OU made up their 1974 Coaches Poll trophy?
Historically, OU actually wins and contends for titles on a pretty regular basis. OSU doesn’t attempt to contend for a title. It’s pretty obvious. If you did, you’d move on from Gundy. He’s a good coach yes. But he’s the best Stillwater has ever seen and you guys are afraid of giving up what foothold you’d attained because you’ve never seen “good” before. He’ll never get you to that next level. And therefore y’all are just pissing in the wind each and every year.

OU got that trophy from somewhere. But they were actually awarded an AP national title that year. Don’t know where the trophy came from and really don’t care. It’s more real than your 1945 national title. At least OU didn’t have to pay a committee to shoehorn them into a title.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

No reason to catch shit for recognizing what is likely true.

It's a good and a bad thing. Good for the obvious reasons. but also a bad thing. Because he knows they cant go and get a better hc on the open market, he doesnt have to worry about losing his job for going 7-5 a few years in a row. That's part of the issue though, he's good enough have a few 10 win seasons sandwiched around those 7-5 seasons. That's good enough for job security, but not bad enough to make them look around for someone else during the down years. He's got a low floor as coach but not the highest ceiling. I think he stays another 20 years.

But consider this, jw walsh was the highest rated qb he's ever signed. Osu really should look around if they want to get better as a program. gundy elevated them but i think that he doesnt have the recruiting chops to get them beyond the level they compete at now.

Last edited: