Dallas Cowboys permitted to protest Anthem...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Which anthem are they protesting? I read that the first week, the nfl is going to play the black national anthem ( you know because segregation is cool now). So which are they protesting? Ahh never mind I just remembered I couldn't care less what they do. Pro football is boring.

OP150

John 15:13
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
Which anthem are they protesting? I read that the first week, the nfl is going to play the black national anthem ( you know because segregation is cool now). So which are they protesting? Ahh never mind I just remembered I couldn't care less what they do. Pro football is boring.
I’d add college as well given what I read on Fox about the Big 12’s plans. It’s all become a joke.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
No kneeling, no looting or burning is a given for all, what is an appropriate form of protest?
The question is not what they can do that you approve of, but what can they do that will lead to meaningful change?

Mar 11, 2006
No kneeling, no looting or burning is a given for all, what is an appropriate form of protest?
The question is not what they can do that you approve of, but what can they do that will lead to meaningful change?
What is the definition of meaningful change?

Is it police officers being fired due to public demands?
Is it abolishing the police?
Is it a policy that police officers should not attempt to subdue alleged perps?
Is it elevating alleged sexual assault criminals, and ignoring sexual assault victims?
Is it ignoring actual statistics and make policy decisions based on false claims?
Is it not a policy of police not firing their weapons even after they have been fired upon?

BTW, I am 100% behind freedom for people to do what they want. If someone wants to kneel, that should be their right. Just like it is someone’s right to view that action as incredibly disrespectful.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
People have the right to protest the national anthem if they want, I would fight to defend their right to do that. However it's not going to help bring about change because once they do that, I've lost respect for them and am less likely to listen to what they have to say.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Coming to your college game day experience...

https://twitter.com/Trevorlawrencee/status/1302714890138853378

I said it in another thread on the main board, but if NCAA football (or basketball) gets even a hair more political, then I'm as done with it as I have been with the NFL for the past decade. My fall revolves and is scheduled around college football. Has been before I started college at oSu in 1992. But I can, and will, walk away and not look back. I'll spend my time, energy, and money on all of those things I neglect or put on hold every fall.

I'll travel more.

I'll buy another hot rod and dump money and time in to it every fall Saturday until I get bored with it, sell it, and do it all over again.

Won't phase me a bit and honestly it would probably help with the stress levels and the heartbreak that is "typical/historic" Cowboy football. :(

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

I said it in another thread on the main board, but if NCAA football (or basketball) gets even a hair more political, then I'm as done with it as I have been with the NFL for the past decade. My fall revolves and is scheduled around college football. Has been before I started college at oSu in 1992. But I can, and will, walk away and not look back. I'll spend my time, energy, and money on all of those things I neglect or put on hold every fall.

I'll travel more.

I'll buy another hot rod and dump money and time in to it every fall Saturday until I get bored with it, sell it, and do it all over again.

Won't phase me a bit and honestly it would probably help with the stress levels and the heartbreak that is "typical/historic" Cowboy football. :(
We'll see how this season goes, but I'm with you. I don't have a magic line drawn in the sand. All I know is that sports is an escape for me; it's entertainment. There's a point (somewhere) that the return on investment simply isn't worth it. I'll turn it off and find better things to do with my time. It's not that their message or approach are wrong; it's just that...

1. Their message is ALREADY being force-fed to everyone on every conceivable platform. I don't need more of it.
2. Much of their "message" is based on knee-jerk reactions and not based on facts
3. The demands are often either completely ridiculous or so nebulous that they can't possibly be effective (and will likely make things worse).
4. Other things in life can bring me as much (or more) joy, and may be more meaningful to me and my family than watching a game.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The times are a changing. A lot of people are spending more time with loved ones. Working from home. Doing errands all at once just one day a week. Or ordering in. Shaping up the home front and finding out we don’t need so much money if we are going to live out our lives this way. The escapes we built in for our entertainment aren’t needed near as much as we previously thought.

poknround

Banned
Banned
Oct 25, 2009
Wabashaw, WI

I'll travel more.

Hey. We started at OSU the same year. Good times 92-96.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Change what?
Racial injustice? Please give us a recent proven (or even demonstrably racist) example of racial injustice. BTW, there has been no meaningful evidence of racism in any of the recent police involved incidents - just bad police procedure.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
People have the right to protest the national anthem if they want, I would fight to defend their right to do that. However it's not going to help bring about change because once they do that, I've lost respect for them and am less likely to listen to what they have to say.
To a large degree, the entire narrative is based on bad data and/or information while the call for change is mostly targeting the wrong symptoms. Still waiting for a sensible individual or group to suggest sensible and reasonable measures to achieve change where needed.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The issue I see (not that I really care that much) is that this was just a few years ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-decal-honoring-slain-dallas-police-officers/

Not letting them honor officers killed (arguably murdered) at a BLM related event but letting them kneel in protest of racial injustice just seems like bad taste.

Last edited:

OP150

Aug 30, 2008
D2L
I’d ask what “meaningful change” is but to be honest they haven’t even defined what “systematic racism” yet or pointed to where it exists.

Good lord. Facts and the truth are simply irrelevant in society today. You can simply make up whatever you want, post it to the masses, and it’s accepted as is.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I’d ask what “meaningful change” is but to be honest they haven’t even defined what “systematic racism” yet or pointed to where it exists.

Good lord. Facts and the truth are simply irrelevant in society today. You can simply make up whatever you want, post it to the masses, and it’s accepted as is.
If you listen to the mainstream media, it’s an accepted fact in every interview or report that the existence of systemic racism is not only an absolute given, but meaningfully impacts every single person of color. Blows my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

If you listen to the mainstream media, it’s an accepted fact in every interview or report that the existence of systemic racism is not only an absolute given, but meaningfully impacts every single person of color. Blows my mind.

And every white person is guilty of either doing it or allowing it to happen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP150

Aug 30, 2008
D2L

And every white person is guilty of either doing it or allowing it to happen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I just wanna know what the heck “it” actually is!