Critical race theory in Idaho

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
kind of reminds me of covering the Vietnam War, I seem to recall spending about a day on that topic and never hearing anything about how soldiers were treated back home...when talking about our U.S. history, let's only talk about the good our country and citizens have done...why be negative, what does that benefit?...

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The difference in teaching history as it has been taught and CRT is that CRT teaches using classes of people (since it is an offshoot of Marxism) and then attaches those classes of people to today's society to attempt to connect the dots between injustices of the past and people/policy today.

There has been portions of history not taught either because it was uncomfortable/unpatriotic and/or it falls into a time period thats part of the history curriculum of the class.

Example: I don't recall in any high school class learning about any history after 1900. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I don't remember it. What I remember is the focus of American being on exploration/colonization to reconstruction with a few exceptions.
My junior year in High School (late '80's) was from U.S. History from just before Columbus, up to and including the beginning of the Civil War. Senior year was the Civil War up to present day.
In Junior HIgh my 8th grade history class designated a special focus on Vietnam veterans. We raised money with an Air Show and other fundraisers and provided the city with a Vietnam veterans memorial to go outside city hall and even had a parade where veterans, specifically focused on the ones from Vietnam, participated.
But we talked about the trail of tears, Vietnam and it's issues, Slavery and it's problems, the good and bad sides of the Civil War, etc....
If they aren't teaching bad AND good stuff in history nowadays, they are doing the kids a disservice. I definitely don't think using CRT to focus history through the lens of racism and to be teaching kids that they should be ashamed of their skin, is in anyway proper.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Apparently not much since they themselves have been charged with discrimination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stude...s_v._President_and_Fellows_of_Harvard_College
A federal appeals court in Boston has ruled Harvard doesn't intentionally discriminate against Asian American applicants in its admissions process.
The panel of judges upheld a federal district court's decision from last year,...

...the latest Harvard numbers do seem to make a mockery of any such claim.
Last week, Harvard announced the racial make up of its Class of 2025, and it looks like the admissions process was more than fair to Asian Americans.

They were No. 1, at the head of the class.
A total of 1,968 applicants were admitted, with Asian Americans making up 27.2 percent of admits.
Compare that to African Americans at 18 percent; Latinx, 13.3 percent, Native American, 1.2 percent; and Native Hawaiian, 0.6 percent.
That’s makes the class of 2025, 60.3 percent BIPOC, by my math, leaving whites a minority at less than 40 percent.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
A federal appeals court in Boston has ruled Harvard doesn't intentionally discriminate against Asian American applicants in its admissions process.
The panel of judges upheld a federal district court's decision from last year,...

...the latest Harvard numbers do seem to make a mockery of any such claim.
Last week, Harvard announced the racial make up of its Class of 2025, and it looks like the admissions process was more than fair to Asian Americans.

They were No. 1, at the head of the class.
A total of 1,968 applicants were admitted, with Asian Americans making up 27.2 percent of admits.
Compare that to African Americans at 18 percent; Latinx, 13.3 percent, Native American, 1.2 percent; and Native Hawaiian, 0.6 percent.
That’s makes the class of 2025, 60.3 percent BIPOC, by my math, leaving whites a minority at less than 40 percent.
The lawsuit was basically Asian students upset that they put limits on the numbers of races. So even with better grades they would be excluded because there were already too many Asians admitted. I agree race should be excluded on all school applications. If an incoming class is 98% Asian then so be it. Same with any other race. Make grades and standardized test scores really the only deciding factor. Though some will say standardized tests are racist.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The lawsuit was basically Asian students upset that they put limits on the numbers of races. So even with better grades they would be excluded because there were already too many Asians admitted. I agree race should be excluded on all school applications. If an incoming class is 98% Asian then so be it. Same with any other race. Make grades and standardized test scores really the only deciding factor. Though some will say standardized tests are racist.
Not racist. They’re just not the end-all, be-all. We already teach too much to the test. We need portfolios of accomplishments, not more testing. We don’t need professional test-takers. We need people who get it done and create amazing work/products/teams.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
IMO, anyone who believes CRT should be taught in public (or private) school is a blithering idiot. I'm grateful I had the means to send my children and grand children to private school where they learned math and science. We're raising generations of self-victimizing whine bags. One of the more amazing things in these discussions is how money is constantly waved around as the "cure" for racism. I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest person here and have had the sad experience of seeing real racism the first 40+ years of my life. While there is still plenty of work to do, there have been massive strides made as evidenced anywhere one looks in the last 40ish years. Only agenda driven fools and race hustlers will fail to recognize it.

Sep 3, 2010
IMO, anyone who believes CRT should be taught in public (or private) school is a blithering idiot. I'm grateful I had the means to send my children and grand children to private school where they learned math and science. We're raising generations of self-victimizing whine bags. One of the more amazing things in these discussions is how money is constantly waved around as the "cure" for racism. I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest person here and have had the sad experience of seeing real racism the first 40+ years of my life. While there is still plenty of work to do, there have been massive strides made as evidenced anywhere one looks in the last 40ish years. Only agenda driven fools and race hustlers will fail to recognize it.
Perfectly said. Kudos to you sir.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
racism in America is alive and well...
You're obviously welcome to wallow in your white guilt (assuming you're white) and fall on your sword for all persons of minority status. However, I'd wager there are many on this board other than myself who have never shorted, slighted, cheated, of held back a person of color in their entire lives and will never do so. This apologist mentality from the weakest minded guilt ridden liberals serves no one and is the antitheses of a workable solution to the problems that do exist. I think I'll take a different approach from the self-loathing assumption that all persons white are racist oppressors and all persons of color are owed something other than an equal chance at the American dream. A thought that in and of itself is well, racist.

Mar 11, 2006
racism in America is alive and well...
It might be on life support, but you are correct it is still there. But we need to work to kill it off, not try to grow it. With the demand for racism outpacing the supply, ideas like CRT that can promote (or at the very least be easily perceived to promote) racist-views need to be contained to niche academic circles and not spread to bias the eyes of K-12.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
You're obviously welcome to wallow in your white guilt (assuming you're white) and fall on your sword for all persons of minority status. However, I'd wager there are many on this board other than myself who have never shorted, slighted, cheated, of held back a person of color in their entire lives and will never do so. This apologist mentality from the weakest minded guilt ridden liberals serves no one and is the antitheses of a workable solution to the problems that do exist. I think I'll take a different approach from the self-loathing assumption that all persons white are racist oppressors and all persons of color are owed something other than an equal chance at the American dream. A thought that in and of itself is well, racist.
Not wallowing in white guilt...have also never shorted, slighted, cheated, or held back anyone...not apologizing for anything...not all whites are racist oppressors...not all persons of color are owed something other than equality...I simply said "racism it alive and well in America."...if you don't think that racism is still around in our world, get your head out of the sand...I never intended for you to feel guilty for being white (assuming you're white)...get over your self...

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Not wallowing in white guilt...have also never shorted, slighted, cheated, or held back anyone...not apologizing for anything...not all whites are racist oppressors...not all persons of color are owed something other than equality...I simply said "racism it alive and well in America."...if you don't think that racism is still around in our world, get your head out of the sand...I never intended for you to feel guilty for being white (assuming you're white)...get over your self...
At no time have I said there isn't racism in America. I just think silly proclamations of the obvious are indicative of someone who needs to get over themselves as well.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We are now at the point where segregation is wanted....... What?

https://twitter.com/maustermuhle/status/1417841934815666181?s=19

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Morgan Wallen Reveals He Went to Rehab to Identify 'Deeper Issue' After Drunken Racial Slur Scandal

Only in America...

Wallen also explained that since "there was a spike in my sales" for his album after the controversy made headlines, he and his team "tried to calculate ... how much it actually spiked from this incident" and "got to a number somewhere around $500,000, and we decided to donate that money to some organizations," including the Black Music Action Coalition (BMAC).
When asked if country music has a race problem as a whole, Wallen said, "It would seem that way, yeah. I haven't really sat and thought about that."

I'm not saying he should have taken a huge loss because of what he did; just shocked that his sales went through the roof after it...

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Morgan Wallen Reveals He Went to Rehab to Identify 'Deeper Issue' After Drunken Racial Slur Scandal

Only in America...

Wallen also explained that since "there was a spike in my sales" for his album after the controversy made headlines, he and his team "tried to calculate ... how much it actually spiked from this incident" and "got to a number somewhere around $500,000, and we decided to donate that money to some organizations," including the Black Music Action Coalition (BMAC).
When asked if country music has a race problem as a whole, Wallen said, "It would seem that way, yeah. I haven't really sat and thought about that."

I'm not saying he should have taken a huge loss because of what he did; just shocked that his sales went through the roof after it...
Yeah. Especially considering, have you listened to his music??