COWGIRLS SOFTBALL: WCWS EDITION

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Firing isn't always the answer, sometimes just learn and adapt. I haven't seen anything from Cottrill to say he won't do just that.

The Busby thing, that was concerning. You can say it's on Busby for not taking coaching, but to me it's on Coach G for still putting her in the lineup. That's why I mentioned he needs to tighten things up a little. You think anyone who doesn't listen to the Gasso duo is going to be in the lineup? Heck no. I think that happened to a small extent later in the regular season, as she got less ABs, but it shouldn't even be an issue at a top 5 program.
Yea the Busby thing is confusing. Its not like it’s a Nolan McClean situation where she is playing elite defense. But on the other hand she was starting to come around in regional and super regionals. Maybe she had started to listen and got back into the lineup. Hers wasn’t the only bat that disappeared this week though.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
ehh...Kenny G handled Bubsy about as well as you could handle a returning AA. Starter her, she struggled, gave her a fairly long leash b/c she's earned it then Carwile stepped up while she didn't and was benched. Busby rode the bench for a good portion of the season. He held her accountable and 1st base was revolving door all year. If someone takes hold of that position, she probably doesn't see the field. She got hot in the postseason so you rode the wave. Bri Evans was hot in preseason and really cooled off once conference started. Sometimes I wish they'd let her swing away instead of slapping majority of the time.

Wynne struggled, busby, and Petty struggled throughout the year. Truth is neither Busby or Petty are natural 1st baseman and struggled to handle the position. Because of multiple players struggling, you're going to get extra chances. Even Chelsea Alexander was benched for Hobson during the FSU and part of the bedlam series b/c she was struggling. Just a weird year offensively for us and somewhere we found ourselves in the semifinals....not too shabby!!

Dec 17, 2011
ehh...Kenny G handled Bubsy about as well as you could handle a returning AA. Starter her, she struggled, gave her a fairly long leash b/c she's earned it then Carwile stepped up while she didn't and was benched. Busby rode the bench for a good portion of the season. He held her accountable and 1st base was revolving door all year. If someone takes hold of that position, she probably doesn't see the field. She got hot in the postseason so you rode the wave. Bri Evans was hot in preseason and really cooled off once conference started. Sometimes I wish they'd let her swing away instead of slapping majority of the time.

Wynne struggled, busby, and Petty struggled throughout the year. Truth is neither Busby or Petty are natural 1st baseman and struggled to handle the position. Because of multiple players struggling, you're going to get extra chances. Even Chelsea Alexander was benched for Hobson during the FSU and part of the bedlam series b/c she was struggling. Just a weird year offensively for us and somewhere we found ourselves in the semifinals....not too shabby!!
Honestly once busby hit the HR against OU I think that gave her, her spot back.

Dec 17, 2011
What hurt us, was the lineup. I loved chealse at 1 but having Kylie at 9 who essentially (until yesterday) became another chealse was not good. We had 2 infield hitters back to back with speed.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Honestly once busby hit the HR against OU I think that gave her, her spot back.
Probably so...and it carried throughout the postseason until the WCWS. Kenny rode the hot hand which I understand. He truly believes in all his kiddos and wants the best for them, but will hold you accountable when you're not playing well. It was no different from last year when we brought Jordan Doggett from UGA. She was a career .315 hitter in the SEC but had an off year when she came here. She struggled and was in and out of the lineup trading off with Micheala Richbourg until Avery Hobson came in late in the season and played a huge role in us returning to the WCWS as a true freshman. Sometimes it's just not your year at the plate and unfortunately we had several players struggle offensively compared to the previous year.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
This actually applies to most fan bases. There is one winner and a load of losers. Other than wrestling and baseball, OSU sports are markedly better across the board than when I was in school. See: Phil Cutchin and Mr Iba. These are better times, but I feel the frustration also. Can't the gods just give us a moment in the sun?

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Firing isn't always the answer, sometimes just learn and adapt. I haven't seen anything from Cottrill to say he won't do just that.

The Busby thing, that was concerning. You can say it's on Busby for not taking coaching, but to me it's on Coach G for still putting her in the lineup. That's why I mentioned he needs to tighten things up a little. You think anyone who doesn't listen to the Gasso duo is going to be in the lineup? Heck no. I think that happened to a small extent later in the regular season, as she got less ABs, but it shouldn't even be an issue at a top 5 program.
Actually, yes. One player on OU squad butted heads with the Gasso. She became an OU darling that came up big in the WCWS last yr.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
This actually applies to most fan bases. There is one winner and a load of losers. Other than wrestling and baseball, OSU sports are markedly better across the board than when I was in school. See: Phil Cutchin and Mr Iba. These are better times, but I feel the frustration also. Can't the gods just give us a moment in the sun?
Exactly. Just about every team and their fans, except a very select few, laments their team choking or not winning the big one--because eventually your team loses.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
OU leads 10-1 after 3 innings...definitely in run rule territory as Texas has used 4 pitchers. Wait, there's no run rule in the champ series

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
OU leads 12-1 after 4 innings...Mike has visited the circle, huddled the offense numerous times. Kinda reminds me when UCLA beat the brakes off OU a couple years ago in the 1st game of the champ series!!