COWGIRLS SOFTBALL: Bedlam edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Please cut our girls some slack. The last time we won in Norman some of them hadnt been born yet.
I don't think it's about Norman, so much as the whole season. The expectation coming out of the OSU camp was to be one of the very top teams in the nation. The season hasn't been a disaster by any means, they are a good team, but far from a great one, especially when it comes to the big games.

Kudos to Maxwell, Pennington, and Carwile who have raised their level this year...but nobody else has among players with A LOT of experience.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Please cut our girls some slack. The last time we won in Norman some of them hadnt been born yet.
What you want me to say? OU was giving out free passes and we didn't do anything with it. I'm simply calling it for what it is. They didn't play well....it's okay to call them out for it!!! Doesn't mean the sky is falling, but it's okay to point out when your team lays an egg, which we did the last two weeks. If you want to compete with the best, you better embrace everything that comes with it including the bright lights and pressure. Unfortunately, we found out the last two weeks that the moment was too big for these girls. Maybe this helps them in the postseason.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
@OSU9953 has been telling everyone here just to be patient with the hitting all season long. He/she has cut them plenty of slack while rest of us hasn‘t since week 3 or 4.
With his traditional scheduling, it's important to exercise some sort of patience early in the season. This season was no different, expect it was probably the most difficult schedule he's put together in his tenure. The early struggles wasn't that surprising in the sense you're not going to spray the ball all over the field compared if you were playing a soft schedule. I think Kenny made that schedule thinking he had the veterans to handle that tough of a schedule as well as a team with the mental makeup to deal with it.

The problem isn't necessarily the talent. We have talented hitters but whatever the reason their approach is bad, and some have absolute no confidence or plan when they approach the plate. Bubsy looks the player when she first got here before COVID, just lost at the plate. Wynne raked last year at Kansas, but for whatever reason can't seem to find her swing. I think expectations has gotten the best of her to be quite honest. Naomi looks very lost at the plate, and Evans has hit a freshman wall similar to Pennington her freshman year. She's been terrible at the plate in conference batting sub .200, but her glove hasn't been an issue until the last two weeks.

There's still a chance this team makes it back to OKC, as well as get a national seed. Northwestern is still a conference champion, but losing twice by run rule to Minnesota did not help their cause, and Arizona State beating UCLA has solidify themselves as a national seed. Florida had a bad loss to Florida Gulf Coast who's 18-33. I think there's 6 teams that are absolute locks for a national seed. I really think there's 2 spots up for grabs, and could make the argument there's only one national seed left for grabs. A good showing in the Big XII could go a long way to helping our cause.

lisound

Wrangler
Nov 8, 2004
Jeff as the hitting coach is not blameless. The ladies should have level swings, going up the middle or the opposite way. Vanessa is a budding coaching star. Her time is now as an expert in approach to at bats. An upgrade is overdue.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Jeff as the hitting coach is not blameless. The ladies should have level swings, going up the middle or the opposite way. Vanessa is a budding coaching star. Her time is now as an expert in approach to at bats. An upgrade is overdue.
I have to ask: what is the definition of level swing?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I do think Jeff deserves blame....just not the majority. Jeff also had these girls hitting at a high clip last year and everyone was singing his praises. You also have girls who have been stubborn in their approach such as Busby who Kenny made note of that postgame on Saturday. Both coach and player share the blame IMO.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
This is a rumor so mods please delete if warranted: the parent of a potential recruit to OSU says that A&M is after Coach G pretty hard. Can't find anything about it online. Joleen Evan's has been their coach for quite some time.
A friend of mine called me earlier that he was listening to the Animal that a certain school is going after Gasso and that OU needs to give her a raise even though she got a nice chunk of change last yr.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I do think Jeff deserves blame....just not the majority. Jeff also had these girls hitting at a high clip last year and everyone was singing his praises. You also have girls who have been stubborn in their approach such as Busby who Kenny made note of that postgame on Saturday. Both coach and player share the blame IMO.
I heard that, too. Said she was stubborn to adjust her stance. WTF? You're hitting under .250 and you won't listen to your coaches? I wouldn't give her one AB until she was willing to do what she's asked to do...which, it appears is what Coach G did for the most part based on her limited appearances.