COWGIRLS SOFTBALL: Bedlam edition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
Its finally here…winner of the series is your Big XII regular season champs and earn the 1 seed in the Big 12 Tourney. We all know that this is going to be very very tough. We haven’t won a game in Norman since 1997.

Elish is back in the batting order is a plus for the Cowgirls…her pitching in Bedlam is still questionable. Coaching staff will make the right decision if she is ready to go or not. Love to have her in the circle….but if she cannot go we got another pitcher to turn to. I loved how Day pitched against FSU last week except for those two pitches. If she can go without giving them meatball pitches, she will keep OU in check with our defense behind her. With Maxwell, I have full confidence in her keeping that scary lineup on their heels.

The biggest concern is our hitting. Overall, this team is not seeing the ball to their potential. Its disappointing but I’m hoping they finally turn it on like FSU did to get all the way to the national championship series.

Schedule:
Thursday @7pm on ESPN
Friday @6pm on ESPN2
Saturday @4pm on ESPNU

Before the season started and the Preseason rankings came out. I went through both teams schedule to see how many games each team has vs rank opponents.

OSU has 17(11 out of conference)
OU has 11(5 out of conference)

Now using the current RPI rankings where each team they had played on their schedules.

Vs Top 10:
3 games OSU 1-2(Florida St twice and Northwestern)
1 games OU 1-0(UCLA)

vs teams 11-25:
8 games OSU 5-3(Arizona St, Duke, LSU, Washington, Michigan, Texas X3)
5 games OU 4-1(Texas X3, Tenn, Kentucky)

vs teams 26-50
11 games OSU 9-2
5 games OU 5-0

vs teams 51-100
15 games OSU 14-1(Lost to Iowa St)
28 games OU 28-0

vs teams 101+
10 games OSU 9-1( Lost to UT-Arlington)
6 games OU 6-0

Tale of the Tape:
where each are rated nationally

Batting Avg.
1 OU .379
44 OSU .299

On Base %
1 OU .496
34 OSU .389

HR per game
1 OU 2.52
26 OSU 1.30

Scoring
1. OU 8.93
46 OSU 5.64

Slug %
1 OU .771
40 OSU .492

Defense:

Fielding %
4 OSU .982
38 OU .971

ERA
1 OU .74
9. OSU 1.78

K to W Ratio
1 OU 5.31
13 OSU 4.33

Some of the stats could be misleading by the quality or lack of quality teams that both been schedule.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Its finally here…winner of the series is your Big XII regular season champs and earn the 1 seed in the Big 12 Tourney. We all know that this is going to be very very tough. We haven’t won a game in Norman since 1997.

Elish is back in the batting order is a plus for the Cowgirls…her pitching in Bedlam is still questionable. Coaching staff will make the right decision if she is ready to go or not. Love to have her in the circle….but if she cannot go we got another pitcher to turn to. I loved how Day pitched against FSU last week except for those two pitches. If she can go without giving them meatball pitches, she will keep OU in check with our defense behind her. With Maxwell, I have full confidence in her keeping that scary lineup on their heels.

The biggest concern is our hitting. Overall, this team is not seeing the ball to their potential. Its disappointing but I’m hoping they finally turn it on like FSU did to get all the way to the national championship series.

Schedule:
Thursday @7pm on ESPN
Friday @6pm on ESPN2
Saturday @4pm on ESPNU

Before the season started and the Preseason rankings came out. I went through both teams schedule to see how many games each team has vs rank opponents.

OSU has 17(11 out of conference)
OU has 11(5 out of conference)

Now using the current RPI rankings where each team they had played on their schedules.

Vs Top 10:
3 games OSU 1-2(Florida St twice and Northwestern)
1 games OU 1-0(UCLA)

vs teams 11-25:
8 games OSU 5-3(Arizona St, Duke, LSU, Washington, Michigan, Texas X3)
5 games OU 4-1(Texas X3, Tenn, Kentucky)

vs teams 26-50
11 games OSU 9-2
5 games OU 5-0

vs teams 51-100
15 games OSU 14-1(Lost to Iowa St)
28 games OU 28-0

vs teams 101+
10 games OSU 9-1( Lost to UT-Arlington)
6 games OU 6-0

Tale of the Tape:
where each are rated nationally

Batting Avg.
1 OU .379
44 OSU .299

On Base %
1 OU .496
34 OSU .389

HR per game
1 OU 2.52
26 OSU 1.30

Scoring
1. OU 8.93
46 OSU 5.64

Slug %
1 OU .771
40 OSU .492

Defense:

Fielding %
4 OSU .982
38 OU .971

ERA
1 OU .74
9. OSU 1.78

K to W Ratio
1 OU 5.31
13 OSU 4.33

Some of the stats could be misleading by the quality or lack of quality teams that both been schedule.
Their SOS is 47th, ours is 35th. Not a huge gap there, but there IS a huge gap in production, not just at the plate but in the circle. We aren't even in their stratosphere offensively.

As good as Kelly Maxwell has been, they have THREE pitchers who have been at least statistically better.

The great thing about softball and baseball is it just takes one great pitching performance and a key long ball to pull the upset. Hopefully we can do that this weekend.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
Their SOS is 47th, ours is 35th. Not a huge gap there, but there IS a huge gap in production, not just at the plate but in the circle. We aren't even in their stratosphere offensively.

As good as Kelly Maxwell has been, they have THREE pitchers who have been at least statistically better.

The great thing about softball and baseball is it just takes one great pitching performance and a key long ball to pull the upset. Hopefully we can do that this weekend.
I would love to know exactly what SOS and RPI the selection committee uses when they choose who going into to regionals. That make it easier on all of us to focus on the right listings. D1 Softball RPI and rankings are nice to look at. But when we compare the SOS between theirs and what ESPN SOS was....it was 15 points difference. D1 had OU SOS at a 29 while Michelle Smith was doing her 7inning podcast, they had theirs at a 44. Myself I cannot go off of D1 softball ratings.

OU hitting is good....might not be as good as they were last year. But still effective. While we are struggling.

Jordy Bahl has taken most of the workload and facing majority of their toughest opponents. Many fans over their thinking she getting overworked and showing signs of fatigue. It could be that or opponents had more video on her and adjusting.

Bahl do have tendencies of crow hopping. Let’s see if the officials will call it or will they let it slide. She has been called for 8 illegal pitches vs UCLA. Been called a few afterwards. Watching the game vs Kansas last week with couple of OU friends who happen to be softball officials...4 pitches off the top of my head should have been called illegal. But the officials turned a blind eye.

We have to play our A game to have a chance. If we can’t hit...we will not have a chance in .....

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It's pretty cool to see them move the game from ESPN2 to ESPN. Wouldn't be surprised if Elish doesn't pitch, but in the event she does, I would only imagine her coming out of the pen. Either way, Maxwell is the getting the ball game 1 and 3 so I hope we can win those games at the very least.

The only weakness if any is that they haven't played it as clean on the infield as years past even though they're still very good. Usually, they're the gold standard when it comes to fielding, but this year there's a slight upitck in errors. Their hitting is still elite, and can just about run rule anyone in the country including us regardless who's pitching.

As much as we can dissect pitching, hitting, fielding, etc....the bigger question is can these girls handle the pressure? A conference championship on the line, just like last year, but this time in Norman, a place OSU hasn't won at in over 25 years!! Will the moment be too big?? It seemed to be last week at FSU when your 2nd baseman drops a taylor-made DP, and your veteran SS air mails a throw home!!! Hard to win just one in Norman...trying to take a series is going a ton of mental toughness as well playing our best softball.

A lot is at stake here, this weekend could be the difference between being a top 8 seed (likely 7-8) or outside looking in, which is a real possibility but not the end of the world. This year there's about 12-14 teams that can really find themselves in OKC this year. Should be an awesome series

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I would love to know exactly what SOS and RPI the selection committee uses when they choose who going into to regionals. That make it easier on all of us to focus on the right listings. D1 Softball RPI and rankings are nice to look at. But when we compare the SOS between theirs and what ESPN SOS was....it was 15 points difference. D1 had OU SOS at a 29 while Michelle Smith was doing her 7inning podcast, they had theirs at a 44. Myself I cannot go off of D1 softball ratings.

OU hitting is good....might not be as good as they were last year. But still effective. While we are struggling.

Jordy Bahl has taken most of the workload and facing majority of their toughest opponents. Many fans over their thinking she getting overworked and showing signs of fatigue. It could be that or opponents had more video on her and adjusting.

Bahl do have tendencies of crow hopping. Let’s see if the officials will call it or will they let it slide. She has been called for 8 illegal pitches vs UCLA. Been called a few afterwards. Watching the game vs Kansas last week with couple of OU friends who happen to be softball officials...4 pitches off the top of my head should have been called illegal. But the officials turned a blind eye.

We have to play our A game to have a chance. If we can’t hit...we will not have a chance in .....

She crows hops every single pitch.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
She crows hops every single pitch.
I watched the 7 INNINGS softball show today on ESPN and every highlight they showed of her was an illegal pitch under college rules. It will depend on the umpiring crew to not fold to the abuse shouted at them from gooner nation. I hoping for the best if we can issue no walks, no errors and dont leave runners stranded at 2nd or 3rd with less then 2 outs.