COWGIRLS SOFTBALL: BEDLAM EDITION

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Lost the big 12 title because of one bad inning. Tough loss. Didn’t kill the giant but sure made it bleed!
Not sure I would go that far. OU could say it was only close because of their one bad inning.
We landed enough blows to keep it interesting. They are still a notch above but we were competitive in every game.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Lost the big 12 title because of one bad inning. Tough loss. Didn’t kill the giant but sure made it bleed!
Not sure I would go that far. OU could say it was only close because of their one bad inning.
We landed enough blows to keep it interesting. They are still a notch above but we were competitive in every game.
When you take the whole weekend into consideration, we did show them vulnerable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
When you take the whole weekend into consideration, we did show them vulnerable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
i seen their vulnerability few weeks ago. I had mentioned in one of these threads and/or to numerous of my OU friends that 1) OU offense is a juggernaut BUT they have not seen quality pitching like Eberle and Maxwell all year. You cannot give them free bases either walks or errors Or they eventually capitalize on them. Good pitching and a sound defense will slow them down. UCLA Rachel Garcia is another pitcher that can slow their offense down.

OU best pitcher is their No. 3 Nicole May A freshman. They are not using her correctly. Gasso is to loyal to G and Saile....this IMO will eventually going to cost them. G is not the same pitcher as she was two years ago since she had surgery on her arm. Saile is a good No. 2 but she has control issues. We helped her out a lot in game two by swinging at junk that wasn’t even close to be strikes. Today we were more discipline and she ended up giving up walks.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Give OU credit, they were the better team this weekend, but by a small margin. OU offense is what I thought it would be. No easy outs 1-9, a team that’s very patient at the plate and puts stress on the pitcher, which they did. The way their hitters make adjustments after each AB is beyond impressive.

The pitching from OU is what was exposed this weekend. Is it good....yes it is, but it’s not elite compared to previous years. G simply isn’t the same pitcher since bicep surgery. She’s still good, she doesn’t have the same velocity or spin as she used to. Saile is good but has no spin and simply throws gas with no movement. May is a freshman, and they’re using her correctly. She’s the reliever and their Sunday starter at times. Those two have have experience and have carried their pitching staff the last 3 years, you don’t toss them to the side. If OU wants to win a national championship, they’ll have to hit their way into one.

The constant for the cowgirls is they’ve played to the level of their competition...so I wasn’t too surprised to see them be competitive with OU. We’re a legit top 5 team and this weekend performance solidifies a national seed IMO

We can talk about how OU never seen a pitching staff as good as ours and that’s true. It’s also true our pitchers haven’t seen a high octane offense like OU’s. Our pitchers were making stressful pitches constantly all weekend, something they haven’t experienced all season and we handed it okay for the most part. Now onto to postseason play. Hopefully they take this weekend as a teaching tool and realize they can make a deep run. Clean up the errors and you can beat anyone.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
We can talk about how OU never seen a pitching staff as good as ours and that’s true. It’s also true our pitchers haven’t seen a high octane offense like OU’s. Our pitchers were making stressful pitches constantly all weekend, something they haven’t experienced all season and we handed it okay for the most part. Now onto to postseason play. Hopefully they take this weekend as a teaching tool and realize they can make a deep run. Clean up the errors and you can beat anyone.
Agreed on your pitching points.

The Sooners were hitting an NCAA leading .440-ish coming into the weekend. From top to bottom there were no weak spots in the order. During this series they hit .276.

Tiare Jennings came in with a team leading average over .500 and went 1/11.
Jocelyn Alo who was also right at .500 went 3 for 9.

Good performance by the Cowgirl pitchers. Sunday's game was a little frustrating because strikes on the outside corners weren't called like they were Friday & Saturday. I think that's what got to Carrie early.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Agreed on your pitching points.

The Sooners were hitting an NCAA leading .440-ish coming into the weekend. From top to bottom there were no weak spots in the order. During this series they hit .322.

Tiare Jennings came in with a team leading average over .500 and went 1/11.
Jocelyn Alo who was also right at .500 went 3 for 9.

Good performance by the Cowgirl pitchers. Sunday's game was a little frustrating because strikes on the outside corners weren't called like they were Friday & Saturday. I think that's what got to Carrie early.
Eberle loves the outside on the black. Some umps call it, some don’t. When she runs into a ump that doesn’t, it tends to frustrate her. You simply have to adjust to the strikezone. Her stuff is plenty good enough and has the best drop ball in the country.

Jennings had an off weekend, but credit our pitching. We struck her out a couple times and got her to chase some pitches out of the zone. She’ll be unanimously national freshman of the year. That’s the beauty of OU’s lineup, they don’t need her to score runs....they’re that good offensively and that deep from a depth standpoint.

Alo had a solid weekend and we carefully pitched to her all weekend. Simenuk was really the only one who challenged her and struck her out multiple times.

We have the better pitching staff, but they have the better offense and defense, which is why they won the series IMO.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
If OU doesn't win it all it will one of the bigger chokes in school history. .
I need to retract this statement. Obviously, they are very beatable. I still think they will be the overall No. 1 seed unless they get upset in the Big 12 tournament.

By my calculation, we held them to a .276 BA during the series, which is about 160 points below their season average. We had more homeruns, 8 to 5, and that was impressive since they had 115 going into the series and we had 65.

The bottom four in our order went 5-34 (.147 BA) and had a .275 OBP during the series. That needs to improve.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
We have the better pitching staff, but they have the better offense and defense, which is why they won the series IMO.
I have to disagree about the pitching staff. Our 1 and 2 may be slightly better, but their no. 3 is a lot better than ours. Not having that caliber of a pitcher in the bullpen to use in the 5th inning of game 2 and/or the 3rd inning of game 3 was the difference in the series imo.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I have to disagree about the pitching staff. Our 1 and 2 may be slightly better, but their no. 3 is a lot better than ours. Not having that caliber of a pitcher in the bullpen to use in the 5th inning of game 2 and/or the 3rd inning of game 3 was the difference in the series imo.
Last time I checked 2>1. Yes may is better than Simenuk but that doesn’t make them the better staff. Eberle is marginally better than Juarez. G hasn’t been the same since surgery and a good hitting lineup can get to her. She’s also been prone to give up the long ball compared to earlier in her career at ASU. I’d take Maxwell over Saile. Saile is good because she throws 70+

If you’ve watched the series and thought OU had the better pitching staff.....well I can’t help you and I find that laughable. Out of the 11 runs they scored yesterday, 5 were earned. Maxwell can usually go a full 7 but didn’t Saturday. OU pitching is good, but it’s not better than ours. If they want win a national championship, they’ll have to hit their way into one because teams like UCLA, bama, Washington, and Florida and beat up Juarez and Saile. This isn’t your typical vintage OU pitching staff.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
I need to retract this statement. Obviously, they are very beatable. I still think they will be the overall No. 1 seed unless they get upset in the Big 12 tournament.

By my calculation, we held them to a .276 BA during the series, which is about 160 points below their season average. We had more homeruns, 8 to 5, and that was impressive since they had 115 going into the series and we had 65.

The bottom four in our order went 5-34 (.147 BA) and had a .275 OBP during the series. That needs to improve.
Good catch on the .276 weekend average for the Sooners. I corrected my number above. They had 24 hits in 87 at bats.

Jul 31, 2008
I think UCLA and Bama jump the Sooners in this weeks polls.

We should what their numbers are vs a quality team and that will drop them.

We should finally make it past Arky in the polls with our performance.