Cowgirl Basketball: Braxtin Miller is transferring

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
The Cowgirls second leading scorer, sophomore Braxtin Miller (14.6 ppg), has put her name in the transfer portal. She has already been removed from the roster.

She had a bit of a sophomore slump, but she was a really good player. It's disappointing to lose her. But if she wants to compete for conference titles and have a chance to advance in the NCAA tournament, I don't blame her.

OSU will need to land a really good juco guard to fill her spot, or next season could be another rough one.

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
I'm not sure what was going on but Braxton was not half as good her sophomore season as she was as a freshman. Hate to see her leave as she could be as good as Vivian Gray. There better be some help on the way or Vivian (she's fun to watch!) will be a one-man show once again.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Program seems to be on the decline for sure. And Littell seems to lose a high profile player to transfer every other year. Echols, Ro Johnson, now Miller just to name a few of the higher profile players over the past few years.
Last year Littell got a good grad transfer in Goodwin to help the team win an NCAA tournament game. But with TWO Honorable Mention AAs on the team, they should have been able to do better than they did.
2016-2017 was a bad year as they lost in the 1st round of the WNIT in Stillwater to Abilene Christian, which is coached by a certain Julie Goodenough. Not a good look for the Cowgirl program at all there. His best years were his first few and those were with Budke recruits. Lack of recruiting, and holding on to the good ones he gets, seems to be his downfall.

Mar 8, 2010
And now is a great time to re-establish our program in this state because the gooners are really down. It could have really been a boost to in-state recruiting if we could have shown some dominance over uo.

Mar 31, 2015
El Reno
Julie Is a Good Coach, Was just over her Head at OSU, I know her whole Family since she’s from The Same Home Town as my Mom in Texas But She does Better at a Smaller School

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Program seems to be on the decline for sure. And Littell seems to lose a high profile player to transfer every other year. Echols, Ro Johnson, now Miller just to name a few of the higher profile players over the past few years.
Last year Littell got a good grad transfer in Goodwin to help the team win an NCAA tournament game. But with TWO Honorable Mention AAs on the team, they should have been able to do better than they did.
2016-2017 was a bad year as they lost in the 1st round of the WNIT in Stillwater to Abilene Christian, which is coached by a certain Julie Goodenough. Not a good look for the Cowgirl program at all there. His best years were his first few and those were with Budke recruits. Lack of recruiting, and holding on to the good ones he gets, seems to be his downfall.
I love Coach Littell, but this has been my concern for a few years now.

Not living in the area anymore, I don't follow the Cowgirls nearly as closely as I did under Budke, & Littell's first few years.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
I understand the frustration with losing players, I think that is the main thing to worry about with the Cowgirls. However, I do feel that Coach Littell has done a good job at OSU. He has a 161-96 (70-74 big 12) record and reached the NCAA tournament in 5 of 8 years with a Sweet 16 appearance and also a WNIT Championship. The Cowgirls have finished in the top half of the Big 12 in 5 of 8 years. There isn't a great deal of support when it comes to Cowgirl basketball, just look at the stands during home games. I am sure trying to recruit top players is pretty tough to a mostly empty gym.

As far as losing players, my wife was recruited by Coach Littell when he was at Seward Co. I have heard that he is an old school type of coach and maybe that doesn't mesh with players these days. A couple of years ago, he was at the same camp as the high school my wife coaches at. He remembered my wife from 15+ years ago (even though she never played for him) and invited her to bring her team to a game and a tour of the facilities. He seems like a pretty genuine guy.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I understand the frustration with losing players, I think that is the main thing to worry about with the Cowgirls. However, I do feel that Coach Littell has done a good job at OSU. He has a 161-96 (70-74 big 12) record and reached the NCAA tournament in 5 of 8 years with a Sweet 16 appearance and also a WNIT Championship. The Cowgirls have finished in the top half of the Big 12 in 5 of 8 years. There isn't a great deal of support when it comes to Cowgirl basketball, just look at the stands during home games. I am sure trying to recruit top players is pretty tough to a mostly empty gym.

As far as losing players, my wife was recruited by Coach Littell when he was at Seward Co. I have heard that he is an old school type of coach and maybe that doesn't mesh with players these days. A couple of years ago, he was at the same camp as the high school my wife coaches at. He remembered my wife from 15+ years ago (even though she never played for him) and invited her to bring her team to a game and a tour of the facilities. He seems like a pretty genuine guy.
The Big 12 as a whole has been pretty down so top half finishes should be an annual occurrence. Most of his success has come from Budke's recruits. He won the WNIT with a team Budke built and even coached for a few months. The Sweet 16 team had B Martin and Ro Johnson, both committed to OSU when Budke was coach and Littell was able to get them both to campus. Also had Tiffany Bias, Liz Donohoe, and Kendra Suttles who were all Budke recruits.

Since that Sweet 16 run OSU has been to the NCAA 3 times, 2 of which had B Martin on the team, and made it to the 2nd round once. They also have a 1st round HOME loss in the WNIT to Goodenough and no postseason this year. They have not been able to capitalize on the success of a Sweet 16 run to take the program to the next step. The recruiting class they have coming in is not in the top half of the Big 12.

I liked the hire of Littell when it occurred. It felt right. I still think Littell is a good coach. However, I do believe he has peaked and it is time for a change. As for crowd support, it gets supported when they are doing well. You are not going to get constant crowds of 10,000+ off the bat. But you can get crowds of 4-5000 consistently when the program is winning. A crowd of 4,000 would put you at #4 in the Big 12. The Cowgirls averaged just under 2,000 this year which was dead last in the Big 12. Recruiting in WBB is not the same as recruiting in the bigger sports. Academics matter a lot more than a full house.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
The Big 12 as a whole has been pretty down so top half finishes should be an annual occurrence. Most of his success has come from Budke's recruits. He won the WNIT with a team Budke built and even coached for a few months. The Sweet 16 team had B Martin and Ro Johnson, both committed to OSU when Budke was coach and Littell was able to get them both to campus. Also had Tiffany Bias, Liz Donohoe, and Kendra Suttles who were all Budke recruits.

Since that Sweet 16 run OSU has been to the NCAA 3 times, 2 of which had B Martin on the team, and made it to the 2nd round once. They also have a 1st round HOME loss in the WNIT to Goodenough and no postseason this year. They have not been able to capitalize on the success of a Sweet 16 run to take the program to the next step. The recruiting class they have coming in is not in the top half of the Big 12.

I liked the hire of Littell when it occurred. It felt right. I still think Littell is a good coach. However, I do believe he has peaked and it is time for a change. As for crowd support, it gets supported when they are doing well. You are not going to get constant crowds of 10,000+ off the bat. But you can get crowds of 4-5000 consistently when the program is winning. A crowd of 4,000 would put you at #4 in the Big 12. The Cowgirls averaged just under 2,000 this year which was dead last in the Big 12. Recruiting in WBB is not the same as recruiting in the bigger sports. Academics matter a lot more than a full house.
I understand all of what you are saying. I am just an observer of the program from a distance. Who do you think the program can attract that will be better than Coach Littell? He is the lowest paid coach in the Big 12 last I remember. Coach Littell has 2 more trips to NCAA than any of the other coaches combined at OSU since Halterman last went in 95-96 season (Haltermans last 6 years, Goodenough, and Budke).

Also on attendance, the Cowgirls haven't averaged more than 3400 fans in any year including the Andrea Riley years. So winning doesn't increase the overall support of the Cowgirls...unfortunately. OU on the other hand was consistently averaging around 6000 fans a game.

2007 - 2791
2008 - 3375
2009 - 3258
2010 - 2699
2011 - 2273
2012 - 2675
2013 - 2256
2014 - 2839
2015 - 2598
2016 - 2832
2017 - 2201
2018 - 2010 <---------- (won 21 games and lost to national champ runner up in 2nd round of NCAA)

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/womens-basketball-attendance

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

You articulated it better than I did, but yeah, with the way the league's gone for a few years now, I would've hoped for better results.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
2018 - 2010 <---------- (won 21 games and lost to national champ runner up in 2nd round of NCAA)

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/womens-basketball-attendance
Yes, last season was frustrating. OSU had Goodwin, Coleman, Jensen, Miller and some depth. Yet somehow managed to play itself into the #8 vs. #9 matchup, which set up the loss to #1 seed MSU.

If the Cowgirls hadn't lost on the road to lowly KU or at home to a bad Iowa State team, maybe things would've turned out differently last season.

But it was one of the better collections of talent on a Cowgirl roster in a while. They couldn't get past the second round. Now the program is in rebuilding mode again. There are more questions than answers going into next season.

This fall Littell will be 64 and entering his ninth season in Stillwater. As someone who has followed Cowgirl basketball very closely for the past 20 years, I wonder what are his goals and expectations for the program.

More than once I've heard him say the team goal is to finish at least .500 in the Big 12 and just make it to the NCAA tournament. I don't ever recall hearing him talk about winning a Big 12 title, or anything past just reaching the NCAA tournament.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that OSU can land juco center Tasha Mack, and some superstar guard to improve the outlook for next season.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I am not sure who OSU could attract from a coaching position. Last comparison I can find is for 2016-2017 salaries and he was middle of the road pay. He was at $550k, which was more than KSU, KU, UT, WVU, AND TTU. TTU hired away Minnesota's HC and she now makes $700k. Littell made $596k in FY2018. I would think there would be a good chance you could lure someone at that salary.

Krista Gerlich, Bryn's mom and former TTU player, is currently at UT-Arlington and has done a great job there. And she has beat out a few Power 5 programs for some recruits.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
I am not sure who OSU could attract from a coaching position. Last comparison I can find is for 2016-2017 salaries and he was middle of the road pay. He was at $550k, which was more than KSU, KU, UT, WVU, AND TTU. TTU hired away Minnesota's HC and she now makes $700k. Littell made $596k in FY2018. I would think there would be a good chance you could lure someone at that salary.

Krista Gerlich, Bryn's mom and former TTU player, is currently at UT-Arlington and has done a great job there. And she has beat out a few Power 5 programs for some recruits.
Gerlich took two recruits from OSU in the 2018 class. Guard Terryn Milton (Owasso) and center Misty Dossey (Comanche) both had offers from OSU before committing to UTA.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
It looks like Baylor will be the only Big 12 team in the Sweet 16. Iowa State (3 seed) lost on its home court to Missouri State (11 seed).

I wish OSU could make progress and move up while the rest of the league is so down.