Cowgirl Basketball 2020-21 Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2009
Where are all the piss and moan fans that were on the first page of this thread calling for a new coach. Some of them were downright awful posts. They Kind of backed off into the bushes haven’t they. Not one comment on the success the girls are having right now and how young and promising the kids are.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Where are all the piss and moan fans that were on the first page of this thread calling for a new coach. Some of them were downright awful posts. They Kind of backed off into the bushes haven’t they. Not one comment on the success the girls are having right now and how young and promising the kids are.[/QUOTE]

Take your meds.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Where are all the piss and moan fans that were on the first page of this thread calling for a new coach. Some of them were downright awful posts. They Kind of backed off into the bushes haven’t they. Not one comment on the success the girls are having right now and how young and promising the kids are.
jim littell is that you again?

Feb 9, 2016
South of OKC
if you are referring to me, my posts were not awful, just my opinion (based in the facts). As my post on January 8 stated, IMO this year I see a more a more engaged Littell with a more positive attitude. The results thus far this year are great and beyond my expectations, I'm happy for the players, coaches and fans. What I want is a successful WBB program, we have not had one the past 2 years, our program has been trending downward, if Littell proves he can recruit and keep quality players and coach at a level to bring success to the program them I'm all for it! This is NOT personal, I just want improvement!!!!

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I live far away and don't know much about Women's BB, but one in a row is not a trend and the history is not very good. I hope this success holds, but back it up with two consecutive data points next year.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
if you are referring to me, my posts were not awful, just my opinion (based in the facts). As my post on January 8 stated, IMO this year I see a more a more engaged Littell with a more positive attitude. The results thus far this year are great and beyond my expectations, I'm happy for the players, coaches and fans. What I want is a successful WBB program, we have not had one the past 2 years, our program has been trending downward, if Littell proves he can recruit and keep quality players and coach at a level to bring success to the program them I'm all for it! This is NOT personal, I just want improvement!!!!
I'm hearing that the locker room is a little more pleasant this year than last.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I will also say that I am enjoying this year but still dont think Littell is the right leader for the program. He has these decent years every 4 or so years. Asberry has been a pleasant surprise with her consistency so far. Mack is what we all expected. However I would think this program is capable of making annual trips to the NCAA tournament.

As for this year, the Big 12 record is nice at 9-3 and currently sitting in 3rd. Let's not act like they are world beaters at this time. They only have 2 wins against teams with a winning record in the Big 12, and 3 overall. Only 2 teams the Cowgirls played in non-conference games have a winning record and they were 1-1 in those games. They have 3 quality wins according to the RPI: UT, WVU, and North Texas. They only have a chance for 3 more quality wins in the regular season this year: UT, ISU, and BU.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Yeah...while I don’t care for littell as much...I tend to credit when it’s due and he’s done a job this season..simple as that. As much as I rip him, he’s found a way to get consistency out of this group. While they’re not an elite team, they’re a solid group and their record reflects that no matter who they’ve played. We haven’t been in the tournament since the 2017-2018 so it’s definitely due to make an appearance. The NCAA doesn’t use RPI, it uses NET rankings, which we’re ranked 33rd.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...-women-s-basketball-announces-use-net-2020-21

The simple fact their getting to the tournament this season is a win for the program so I’ll take it personally. Finally, littell isn’t going no where. It’s like gundy in football. He’s beloved by the fans, former players, and boosters. He’ll leave on his own terms. I’ll say this, getting a new coach doesn’t exactly mean this program will jump new heights. Don’t get me wrong it could...look at Arizona in the PAC-12...but look at teams like Kansas or Texas tech. UNC was once a powerhouse until Hatchell retired and have struggled since. We could get be Kansas with our next hire. Holder has been hit and miss with basketball hires so let’s not act like he’s guaranteed to hit a home run on the women’s side.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
NET rankings are better than the RPI. I just found the RPI easier, but now I know where to find the NET rankings. Thank you. But it still points to only 3 opportunities for quality wins the rest of the way with the teams in my last post remaining the only teams in the Top 80.

You are right there is no guarantee the next coach will be better. There is always a risk.. Littell did great covering the program after the horrific accident that took the 4 lives back in 2011. However the recent years have not been pretty. He has finished with a Big 12 record below .500 five years, at .500 two years, and above .500 three years.. Last year the Cowgirls were a loss in the Big 12 Tournament away from missing the postseason for a 2nd straight year.

2011-2012: WNIT Champs (tremendous accomplishment for the year). 7th place Big 12.
2012-2013: NCAA 2nd Round. 5th place Big 12.
2013-2014: NCAA Sweet 16. 4th place Big 12.
2014-2015: NCAA 1st Round. T-3rd place Big 12 at 9-9.
2015-2016: NCAA 1st Round. 4th place Big 12.
2016-2017: WNIT 1st Round. 7th place Big 12.
2017-2018: NCAA 2nd Round. T-3rd Big 12. 4 games back of 2nd and 7 games back of 1st.
2018-2019: No Postseason (Didn't qualify for the WNIT as they finished 14-16). 7th place Big 12.
2019-2020: 15-15. Covid cancelled all postseason. Would have had to beat Oklahoma in the Big 12 tourney to be WNIT eligible. No chance of NCAAs. 8th place Big 12.

2015-2016 was the final year of a Budke/Serna recruited player in Brittany Martin. The program has definitely slipped since she left.
2017-2018 was a grad transfer PG stepping the program up.

And for the young talent on this team there are some caveats. Without a coaching change at other schools Lauren Fields and Lexy Keys are not part of this roster. Both of those kids were committed & signed to other schools and were very late additions to the recruiting class.

I give Littell credit, but he also gets blame for the down years. He is having a decent year. But there is still no challenging for a Big 12 title in his career.

As much as I know he isnt going to be forced out, I can still hold him accountable for the downward trend with the program. He is currently 65 so hopefully he chooses to end on his own terms sooner rather than later, IMO.

Feb 9, 2016
South of OKC
Unfortunately WBB is a low priority program at OSU. Attendance at games is embarrassing, even pre-COVID we raked at or near the bottom of attendance for conference teams. Low attendance can be a detriment to recruiting top-tier players, too. I think winning consistently is the only cure for the situation we find our program in. As you point out, Littell has not won consistently. I was told this is not the last year of his contract, I hope the upswing this year doesn't garner him any extension.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Littell deserves blame no question...I mean he’s the head coach so that goes without saying. If you want to hold him accountable by all means go ahead. I’m just trying focused on this season and up to this point he’s done a good job, which he deserves a lot of praise for considering they were picked 8th. I don’t care if the league isn’t as good as in the past, at the end of day it’s about results and this season he’s finding a way to win games. You can only dwell on the past so long...it is what it is. He’s had good and bad seasons. You can find that in most people around the country...not like OSU is the only one. As far as caveats, people pick up transfers literally every year. I don’t know why that’s a bad thing lol. You need some breaks along the way in this sport. By the way OSU offered both lexy keys and Lauren fields so it’s not like their families weren’t familiar with OSU. Fields was offered as a freshman, but the academics at Cal was a huge draw for fields. In terms of keys, coaches went with a different direction in terms of position of need. She grew up a cowgirl and wanted to come here. Coaches getting fired, people asking for release of their LOI and landing somewhere else happens everywhere so I’ll take those breaks when the opportunity presents itself and no one should have to apologize for that. In fact, it says a lot of the relationship the staff developed with those two as well as their families to come back and choose OSU. Both had plenty of options out of HS.

I can also tell you cowgirl basketball is low priority in athletics. Always has, and always will for the foreseeable future. The program has been traditionally garbage and those long time fans right now will tell you this is the “golden era” of cowgirl basketball. Similar to what you hear in OSU football. Low attendance has nothing to do with recruiting lol...kids want to go to blue blood schools, win championship, and go to WNBA or go overseas. Top tier kids want to go schools that win and help them with professional aspirations.

I would love to challenge for a big XII title every damn year, but if we’re being honest that’s not to happen anytime soon whether littell is here or not. As long as Mulkey is at Baylor and Schafer is a Texas...we’ll be competing for 3rd unless we get an elite coach.

i know littell is 65 years old...they’re several older coaches in this league. I know he’s going to become a grandfather soon as John littell and his wife are are expecting soon. Maybe he’ll call it quits soon and play with the grandson...and I wouldn’t blame him. If he leaves good for him...and hopefully the next coach can takes us to new heights. I also acknowledge the fact the next coach could bring us down much further than we are currently. After all for those crying for Littell to be gone(myself included), you do know Mike Holder is still here right? If you have that much faith he’s going knock it out of then park with a home run hire...I feel sorry for you. Hell he might keep it in-house and hire Bill Annan lmao...holy hell what a site that would be lmao. After all, he did that with the current coach and did it on the men’s side as well.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Jim is a good coach. Oklahoma State is lucky to have him. Baylor‘s head coach told me that at the Braun’s parking lot in Stillwater. She said Jim was one of the best coaches she knows.
Baylor pays 1+ million. Texas pays 1.6 million. I know that Kansas State and Iowa State pay their coaches more money than Jim makes. TCU hired a young ambitious hard-working woman who I thought might be a homerun for them. The last two seasons they were very scrappy .
And then the team they brought the Stillwater this year sucked. Don’t know what kind money she makes. But I bet she makes more than Jim.
We’re lucky to have Jim as our coach.
JMHO
And Wife an I will be there tonight for the bedlam game.
All of you complainers and moaners are welcome to attend.

Feb 9, 2016
South of OKC
While my opinion of Littell has’nt changed, I’ve had my say. I understand a coaching change does not come with any guarantee, it is a risk I would be willing to take. However, this is a good year for the program and Littell deserves credit for that, a trip to the tournament will be huge going forward. I also acknowledge Littell is not going anywhere soon unless he decides to. So I plan to continue to attend every game, cheer for the girls and hope the good times continue.