Cowgirl Basketball 2020-21 Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
they were also second team to shot over 40% FG against their defense. Other team was Colorado and they pulled off the upset. We definitely put a high quality effort at the end of the day.
Stanford shot 52% from three when they average 38%. If they shot their average they would have hit 4 less threes and the ladies might have pulled it out. So it took Stanford shooting 14% better on 3s to put the Cowgirls away. That’s a heck of an effort from the ladies.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Stanford shot 52% from three when they average 38%. If they shot their average they would have hit 4 less threes and the ladies might have pulled it out. So it took Stanford shooting 14% better on 3s to put the Cowgirls away. That’s a heck of an effort from the ladies.
totally agree.....considering we’re a young team...it’s a good learning experience for this team. Future is bright for cowgirl basketball

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Also heard today that all 4 one seeds advanced to the sweet sixteen for like 11 straight years. I think women’s basketball needs some rules to help with a little more competitive balance. Stanford women’s team has made the sweet sixteen 13 straight years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Agree, and Texas got it done against UCLA. There was a path to the sweet 16 and they did their part and now continue to talk about collier and promote the #1 overall pick. Iowa state lost a tough one to Texas A&M. I feel bad for ISU...felt like the refs did them a disservice late in the game.

either way this was a very successful season for cowgirl basketball. We got young and quality guards coming back. The guards/wing will definitely be the strength of the team. It’s also nice to have guards grow in the program and not transfer after a season or two. Lost Mack is huge offensively, defensively but most importantly her leadership.

Excited who steps up in the post. The beautiful thing about sport is when an opportunity presents itself, who rises to the occasion? Reeves, DeLapp, Jackson, Sarr (if she wants to come back) all have opportunities. They don’t have to be Mack...but they need to be serviceable. This team gets Sara Rodrigues back from injury which should definitely help. The freshman class is filled with shooters. The 2022 class will focus heavily on bigs and there’s one kid ready to commit. Even though this team loses Mack, they have a good chance to be really solid as long as they continue to work in the summer and stay healthy. There’s a good locker room culture right now and needs to stay that way for them to continue to have success

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Probably hard to win when there’s calls like this out there.

https://twitter.com/trentlanie/status/1374540485331726336?s=21
Isn't the orange semicircle the no go area for women's? If so then she was too far under the basket to get the charge even if her feet were set.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Cowgirls fought back after getting down 20. Charges are out of control in men's and women's basketball. That was obviously the most atrocious of the calls last night. But OSU also benefitted from a few charge calls. Main one was DeLapp getting the benefit of the doubt when she clearly was nowhere near established for a charge. Stanford is good and had plenty of size to throw at Mack. Throw in Asberry being a non-factor and you end up with the loss.

On to next year in which the coaching staff will need to build upon this banner year and bring in some highly ranked recruits. Mack will be in the WNBA and the Cowgirls will have no proven interior player. DeLapp and Reeves will have plenty of opportunity to step up and make an impact. Both have shown the ability but have no consistency in producing. Collins needs to develop a reliable shot out to at least 15 feet to prevent her defender from just helping down on drives or a post player. Asberry needs to stay consistent from 3. Fields needs to attack the basket under control. With her hesitation and acceleration she should be able to get to the basket, just needs to be under control to avoid charges. Notoa showed notable improvement and needs to continue her late season production. Offensive and defensive will take a step back in all likelihood.
How long has it been though since we've been able to say that there are so many different sports at OSU that are all performing at such a great level right now and have the potential to do even more next year. Football, men's and women's basketball, track, baseball, softball, wrestling.

Dec 17, 2011
How long has it been though since we've been able to say that there are so many different sports at OSU that are all performing at such a great level right now and have the potential to do even more next year. Football, men's and women's basketball, track, baseball, softball, wrestling.

We still have our top 15 women's soccer team doing well right now

Feb 9, 2016
South of OKC
Congratulations to the Cowgirls and Coaches for a good year!

Well I see Vivian Gray has decided to stay for another year at TT.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/s...ian-gray-sticking-around-for-one-more-season/

I know this is old news, but I also ran across this article the other day online, originally published in The Athletic, and while I am too cheap to subscribe and read the entire article, the "tease" below offers some interesting insight into Gray's transfer to TT.

https://theathletic.com/2292040/2021/01/01/texas-tech-vivian-gray-wnba/

The article states that among Vivian's reason for leaving (OSU) was her dissatisfaction that she had been reduced to a one-dimensional player, a high-volume scorer on a middling team, and she told Coach Gerlich that wherever she ended up, she wanted to show she had a well-rounded game. Leading me to conclude that her primary problem was with OSU coaches and that a decision was made to leave OSU before any decision was made to attend TT. I know Bryn was announced as a transfer to TT well in advance of any announcement for Vivian.

I don't know how Littell, his staff or OSU could have done any more to promote Vivian Gray's career than was done while she was here. She was the poster girl for Cowgirl basketball and much was done to promote her for All-American honors (a status she did not receive this year at TT).

I know Vivian was a good player at OSU, she put together numbers in her 2 years that rank her in several career categories. But, with an attitude as depicted in the article, it is easy to see why the locker room was a much happier place this year. It just shows how fickle some top-tier players can be. It also goes to show, some top- tier's are both good players and good leaders, good leaders inspire those around them to embrace their role and work to improve. Mack was a good player and a good leader! Other top-tiers are just good players.

Sometimes addition by subtraction really works!

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

We still have our top 15 women's soccer team doing well right now
Oops yes.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Bigue Sarr (Sr) has put herself in the transfer portal as a grad transfer. Looking for more playing time in her last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see her out west as her brother is the only family in the united states lives in Cali. She'll be missed, and I wish her well.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
I would think former Sooner Dionnah Jackson-Durrett will be considered for the job.

I wish they could convince someone like Muffet McGraw to come out of retirement. I would love to see three elite coaches in the Big 12.

I don’t really care who they hire, as long as they can help return the Big 12 to its former glory. I’m hoping a few more Big 12 programs will make a move this offseason.
Now that Texas is out of the tournament, we should soon find out if Longhorn associate head coach, and former Sooner point guard, Dionnah Jackson-Durrett will replace Sherri Coale. The other Texas associate head coach, Johnnie Harris, would be a great choice.
D13F9E7B-135C-40DC-82B1-04E1454C207A.jpeg

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sherri Coale steps down at OU.

https://www.soonersports.us/coale.html

So, does this give Bo Overton the reins at OU????
OU fans have been worried the program would be handed over to Colton Coale once Sherri stepped down. But I think they were expecting Sherri to stick around a little longer.

I would think former Sooner Dionnah Jackson-Durrett will be considered for the job.

I wish they could convince someone like Muffet McGraw to come out of retirement. I would love to see three elite coaches in the Big 12.

I don’t really care who they hire, as long as they can help return the Big 12 to its former glory. I’m hoping a few more Big 12 programs will make a move this offseason.
Like Baylor moving on from Kim?

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
It’s going to be an all Pac-12 women’s championship.

Arizona just knocked off #1 seed UConn to advance to the title game with Stanford.

In just her fifth season as a head coach, Arizona’s Adia Barnes has taken that program from irrelevant all the way to an NCAA championship appearance.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Former WNBA player, former alum of Arizona...great story and good for them.....Maybe OSU can get a former WNBA player to coach their team....just maybe!!!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
https://twitter.com/NaismithTrophy/status/1378018219890507782?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/Sam_Hutchens01/status/1378121423659667458?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/DallasWings/status/1377375225818480640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Stating someone's alma mater, and what they did on the professional level is simply stating a fact....nothing more or less. A lot of people in this world have followed women's basketball....At the end of the day...Arizona's story is wonderful...it'll be interesting to see if they can maintain this level of excellence... They hit on all their transfers which includes Aari McDonald. Nice to see another program besides the blue bloods make a deep run. Gives schools somewhat of hope that it can be done. Not easy, need a whole lot of breaks and luck but nonetheless, it shows it can be done. The stars aligned for Arizona...and that's what it takes for schools like an Arizona to breakthrough.

Last edited: