Cowboys WIN against #14 Texas Longhorns. Pokes are 8-5, 1-1 in Conference. WVU on TUESDAY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I’ve nailed down my opinion about Boynton for now (because I deeply believe anyone can improve, and I do believe that Boynton is trying to improve).

The pros:
1. I think so far, he is a very good recruiter. Not an elite recruiter but a very good one. He does need to tweak one thing, and that’s to recruit more pure shooters. But he has proven he can get big time talent on campus.
2. He does get the guys to play extremely hard most of the time, which is difficult to do in today’s culture. This right here is maybe the biggest reason I’m all for keeping him.
3. He is a great person, a great example for the young people under his leadership, and a tremendous ambassador for our school.

The cons:
1. His X’s & O’s are not impressive at all. He makes some good in game adjustments at times, but not consistently enough for this league and the coaching he’s facing. My main problem is that often on the offensive end it’s a 2 man game. I’m sure he’s selling this to recruits, because that’s the NBA’s style. But this does not lead to the best results unless you have 2 Cunninghams on your roster. If he can get to the point where he has 2 5-stars on the court at all times, then more power to him. But until then, it’s tough sledding being as efficient as possible with a complete lack of movement away from the ball. Movement away from the ball, hard cuts, quality screens, and a high IQ to read a defense off of a screen are all big problems with his offense. His defense is better, but he has to continue to improve our defense of the 3 point shot.
2. Lack of discipline especially on offense. Especially early in the season, his teams are careless with the ball and the passes are lazy. They do seem to get better in that category as the season goes on, but you shouldn’t be starting at square 1 every year with your juniors and seniors. That should already be built in with them. I love Boynton’s teams’ effort, but often effort and discipline are two different things. He’s a nice man, but a little too nice with the players sometimes. If you’re pushing a unit to peak performance, they’re not all going to like you, especially in the moment.

This season is a wash with what happened. My expectations are that we hit the ground running next season. I’m all for giving Boynton another 3 years or so, but you can’t wait around for production forever. My expectations would be to get into the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 4 years at least going forward and to be positioned to really make a run at least once in those 4 years. Considering our history, fan support (when winning) , and facilities, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Just my 2 cents.
Boyton's recruiting strategy somewhat reminds me of the Texas Ranger's drafting strategy of a few years ago. Raw, toolsy athletes with high ceilings yet low floors. Boyton puts as athletic of a team together as any other coach in the country. The effort is nearly always there & just about any individual player has the ability to have a huge game. Haven't really seen him put it together as a whole team with a floor general & a shooter or two (that can alsp defend adequately).

On that note, it seems like UT has been somewhat similar in terms of raw athleticism not providing suitable results. Will be curious to see how Beard molds his team.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I’ve nailed down my opinion about Boynton for now (because I deeply believe anyone can improve, and I do believe that Boynton is trying to improve).

The pros:
1. I think so far, he is a very good recruiter. Not an elite recruiter but a very good one. He does need to tweak one thing, and that’s to recruit more pure shooters. But he has proven he can get big time talent on campus.
2. He does get the guys to play extremely hard most of the time, which is difficult to do in today’s culture. This right here is maybe the biggest reason I’m all for keeping him.
3. He is a great person, a great example for the young people under his leadership, and a tremendous ambassador for our school.

The cons:
1. His X’s & O’s are not impressive at all. He makes some good in game adjustments at times, but not consistently enough for this league and the coaching he’s facing. My main problem is that often on the offensive end it’s a 2 man game. I’m sure he’s selling this to recruits, because that’s the NBA’s style. But this does not lead to the best results unless you have 2 Cunninghams on your roster. If he can get to the point where he has 2 5-stars on the court at all times, then more power to him. But until then, it’s tough sledding being as efficient as possible with a complete lack of movement away from the ball. Movement away from the ball, hard cuts, quality screens, and a high IQ to read a defense off of a screen are all big problems with his offense. His defense is better, but he has to continue to improve our defense of the 3 point shot.
2. Lack of discipline especially on offense. Especially early in the season, his teams are careless with the ball and the passes are lazy. They do seem to get better in that category as the season goes on, but you shouldn’t be starting at square 1 every year with your juniors and seniors. That should already be built in with them. I love Boynton’s teams’ effort, but often effort and discipline are two different things. He’s a nice man, but a little too nice with the players sometimes. If you’re pushing a unit to peak performance, they’re not all going to like you, especially in the moment.

This season is a wash with what happened. My expectations are that we hit the ground running next season. I’m all for giving Boynton another 3 years or so, but you can’t wait around for production forever. My expectations would be to get into the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 4 years at least going forward and to be positioned to really make a run at least once in those 4 years. Considering our history, fan support (when winning) , and facilities, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Just my 2 cents.
I think this is fair. The thing that puzzles me is he seems to hire assistants who are good Xs and Os guys. For some reason, it hasn’t translated to our offensive sets or player IQ.

I 100% agree we don’t play well away from the ball. That was a huge emphasis of Eddie’s. “The game is played away from the ball.” Which was more than a basketball philosophy. It was a life lesson.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I think this is fair. The thing that puzzles me is he seems to hire assistants who are good Xs and Os guys. For some reason, it hasn’t translated to our offensive sets or player IQ.

I 100% agree we don’t play well away from the ball. That was a huge emphasis of Eddie’s. “The game is played away from the ball.” Which was more than a basketball philosophy. It was a life lesson.
Spot on.
As a few of us have posted, we really lack an identity.

Eddie was defense all the time. Suffocating. Nothing was easy. If you made something easy for the other team, you came out.

Ford wanted to get up and down. His ID was pace and getting a shot up 10 seconds into the shot clock. Extend the game by getting extra possessions.

I don’t know what HCMB’s is so not sure he couldn’t hire the greatest assistants ever and not still struggle. That’s the one thing I want to see different from him. Pick a style, commit to it like Boheim committed to his 2-3 zone, Nolan Richardson’s 40 minutes of hell, or Bennett’s 50-48 grinders. Pick one and demand your players live it. Everyone involved in the program from Weinberg to the casual fan should know who we are, what we’re about and what you’re going to get night in and night out. Whatever that is, I’m fine with it, just get aligned.

“Let’s work” isn’t an identity. Every team works hard. Blue collar, tough teams can be an identity but you’ve got to hold them accountable when they’re soft or play dumb. Take them out, Coach them up, put them back in. He doesn’t do that.

Recruit guys that fit the system, not just ‘highly ranked’ guy that has a bunch of stars for dominating high school kids. (That doesn’t apply to CC, he’s. Different kind of player that we had to take a shot at and I’m glad he did.)

I really like MB. I want him to be so successful here his name is on the court. I also know he’s learning on the job but at some point you either have to prove you’re learning or the company moves on. Can’t rely solely on good shooting nights or the other team having a bad one. I want our team to dictate the game, even in a loss.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com

This right here is why I just can't watch much college basketball any more.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Mighty and about 10 minutes into the game it was easily a thousand or more then we're at the Kansas game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I didn’t make the Kansas game. I was tired from driving back from Arizona and working on Tuesday. Midweek games are getting harder to make on this old guy considering I live an hour away.