Cowboys WIN against #14 Texas Longhorns. Pokes are 8-5, 1-1 in Conference. WVU on TUESDAY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
I’ve nailed down my opinion about Boynton for now (because I deeply believe anyone can improve, and I do believe that Boynton is trying to improve).

The pros:
1. I think so far, he is a very good recruiter. Not an elite recruiter but a very good one. He does need to tweak one thing, and that’s to recruit more pure shooters. But he has proven he can get big time talent on campus.
2. He does get the guys to play extremely hard most of the time, which is difficult to do in today’s culture. This right here is maybe the biggest reason I’m all for keeping him.
3. He is a great person, a great example for the young people under his leadership, and a tremendous ambassador for our school.

The cons:
1. His X’s & O’s are not impressive at all. He makes some good in game adjustments at times, but not consistently enough for this league and the coaching he’s facing. My main problem is that often on the offensive end it’s a 2 man game. I’m sure he’s selling this to recruits, because that’s the NBA’s style. But this does not lead to the best results unless you have 2 Cunninghams on your roster. If he can get to the point where he has 2 5-stars on the court at all times, then more power to him. But until then, it’s tough sledding being as efficient as possible with a complete lack of movement away from the ball. Movement away from the ball, hard cuts, quality screens, and a high IQ to read a defense off of a screen are all big problems with his offense. His defense is better, but he has to continue to improve our defense of the 3 point shot.
2. Lack of discipline especially on offense. Especially early in the season, his teams are careless with the ball and the passes are lazy. They do seem to get better in that category as the season goes on, but you shouldn’t be starting at square 1 every year with your juniors and seniors. That should already be built in with them. I love Boynton’s teams’ effort, but often effort and discipline are two different things. He’s a nice man, but a little too nice with the players sometimes. If you’re pushing a unit to peak performance, they’re not all going to like you, especially in the moment.

This season is a wash with what happened. My expectations are that we hit the ground running next season. I’m all for giving Boynton another 3 years or so, but you can’t wait around for production forever. My expectations would be to get into the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 4 years at least going forward and to be positioned to really make a run at least once in those 4 years. Considering our history, fan support (when winning) , and facilities, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Just my 2 cents.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I’ve nailed down my opinion about Boynton for now (because I deeply believe anyone can improve, and I do believe that Boynton is trying to improve).

The pros:
1. I think so far, he is a very good recruiter. Not an elite recruiter but a very good one. He does need to tweak one thing, and that’s to recruit more pure shooters. But he has proven he can get big time talent on campus.
2. He does get the guys to play extremely hard most of the time, which is difficult to do in today’s culture. This right here is maybe the biggest reason I’m all for keeping him.
3. He is a great person, a great example for the young people under his leadership, and a tremendous ambassador for our school.

The cons:
1. His X’s & O’s are not impressive at all. He makes some good in game adjustments at times, but not consistently enough for this league and the coaching he’s facing. My main problem is that often on the offensive end it’s a 2 man game. I’m sure he’s selling this to recruits, because that’s the NBA’s style. But this does not lead to the best results unless you have 2 Cunninghams on your roster. If he can get to the point where he has 2 5-stars on the court at all times, then more power to him. But until then, it’s tough sledding being as efficient as possible with a complete lack of movement away from the ball. Movement away from the ball, hard cuts, quality screens, and a high IQ to read a defense off of a screen are all big problems with his offense. His defense is better, but he has to continue to improve our defense of the 3 point shot.
2. Lack of discipline especially on offense. Especially early in the season, his teams are careless with the ball and the passes are lazy. They do seem to get better in that category as the season goes on, but you shouldn’t be starting at square 1 every year with your juniors and seniors. That should already be built in with them. I love Boynton’s teams’ effort, but often effort and discipline are two different things. He’s a nice man, but a little too nice with the players sometimes. If you’re pushing a unit to peak performance, they’re not all going to like you, especially in the moment.

This season is a wash with what happened. My expectations are that we hit the ground running next season. I’m all for giving Boynton another 3 years or so, but you can’t wait around for production forever. My expectations would be to get into the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 4 years at least going forward and to be positioned to really make a run at least once in those 4 years. Considering our history, fan support (when winning) , and facilities, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Just my 2 cents.
Good post, but 3 more years???

Again, if winning 56% of games, having a nice guy, and paying the mens BB coach a mil a year is our goal, we've reached it.

That was a good win yesterday, no doubt. We get one or two of those each season, though, and they haven't proven to be any predictor of future performance.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Good post, but 3 more years???

Again, if winning 56% of games, having a nice guy, and paying the mens BB coach a mil a year is our goal, we've reached it.

That was a good win yesterday, no doubt. We get one or two of those each season, though, and they haven't proven to be any predictor of future performance.
I probably should’ve worded that better. After this season, better make the tournament at least 2 of the next 3 years. I feel that’s fair going forward.