Cowboys WIN 96-66 against Charleston. Next up ORU Golden Eagles on FRIDAY in the Mabee Center 3PM

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 14, 2011
Good win for the 'boys 96-66
50% from three, 71% from the charity stripe, 18 assists, Incredible defense (held all our opponents below 70 per game so far this season), 16 blocks and 16 steals. Daaaaayyymmn Gina!
Really need to cut the turnovers down. Second half appeared to be much cleaner there.
Hope Thompson's back is ok.

Aug 16, 2012
Good win for the 'boys 96-66
50% from three, 71% from the charity stripe, 18 assists, Incredible defense (held all our opponents below 70 per game so far this season), 16 blocks and 16 steals. Daaaaayyymmn Gina!
Really need to cut the turnovers down. Second half appeared to be much cleaner there.
Hope Thompson's back is ok.
Without the benefit of being able to see any of the games but one (but following each), how much of the turnover issue is due to different/ever changing lineups?

To this end, any indication a core is being developed or is playing 10 with substantial minutes look to be how this season will go?

Jun 14, 2011
Without the benefit of being able to see any of the games but one (but following each), how much of the turnover issue is due to different/ever changing lineups?

To this end, any indication a core is being developed or is playing 10 with substantial minutes look to be how this season will go?
Great question and honestly I don't know. Sadly, I have missed most of the other games as well due to life. I love to postulate on a response, but think it would be disingenous to do so having not watched all the games.

Dec 9, 2013

Turnovers are still a result of poor decisions and situational awareness.

We still have way too many live ball turnovers that will result in point and momentum swings in big games.

We still try to enter the post from the top of the key vs wing or lower. If I had a team there would be an imaginary line baseline to baseline lane width and any pass to the block from inside those lines would be an automatic sit. We also try to enter the post over the top on occasion vs the bounce. And then AA and Bryce Williams still have situations where they drive themselves in trouble.

As far as rotations I think we are slowly getting there. Donovan Williams didn’t play tonight (maybe there was an issue) and Newton came in late. If it were me I would start AA, Thompson, Kalib, Walker and Ice. Although Ice has zero confidence he can score. His shot is cringeworthy and I think that’s affecting the rest of his game. Bryce Williams, Smith and Ke. Boone would be my 1st in. Cisce is still so raw. I get the politics of why he has to play but right now Kalib gives you 90% of what Cisce does on D and maybe 180% on offense. It’s really not even a comparison on offense. MAM is a wildcard. I think his game is better suited for the NBA than college. He has length and athleticism but is trying to play 25 feet from the basket. I think he will have games where he gets you 15 & 8 and then go 2 or 3 games where you don’t even notice him.

This team can beat KU or Baylor but could also lose to TCU or KState. So … same old same old.

Aug 16, 2012
Turnovers are still a result of poor decisions and situational awareness.

We still have way too many live ball turnovers that will result in point and momentum swings in big games.

We still try to enter the post from the top of the key vs wing or lower. If I had a team there would be an imaginary line baseline to baseline lane width and any pass to the block from inside those lines would be an automatic sit. We also try to enter the post over the top on occasion vs the bounce. And then AA and Bryce Williams still have situations where they drive themselves in trouble.

As far as rotations I think we are slowly getting there. Donovan Williams didn’t play tonight (maybe there was an issue) and Newton came in late. If it were me I would start AA, Thompson, Kalib, Walker and Ice. Although Ice has zero confidence he can score. His shot is cringeworthy and I think that’s affecting the rest of his game. Bryce Williams, Smith and Ke. Boone would be my 1st in. Cisce is still so raw. I get the politics of why he has to play but right now Kalib gives you 90% of what Cisce does on D and maybe 180% on offense. It’s really not even a comparison on offense. MAM is a wildcard. I think his game is better suited for the NBA than college. He has length and athleticism but is trying to play 25 feet from the basket. I think he will have games where he gets you 15 & 8 and then go 2 or 3 games where you don’t even notice him.

This team can beat KU or Baylor but could also lose to TCU or KState. So … same old same old.
Thanks for the reply. Good insight.

A follow up, why Ice? Just seems there are more options that could free up others if an opposing D has to play honest

Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Good insight.

A follow up, why Ice? Just seems there are more options that could free up others if an opposing D has to play honest
Soph Ice is better than Sr Ice. He does give you versatility on defense but his offense right now is just awkward. In high pick and roll he still can get down hill. And in certain situations he is effective in the paint. But tonight we saw him try an elbow jumper that was just bad mechanics and he struggled some from inside 8 feet. I chose him over B Williams bc B Williams is one of those players that at times does freakish things but he also just kills me w lapses in judgement. He leaves shooters open. He runs through passing lanes when there is no shot at the steal. The ball sticks w him sometimes on offense, he will shoot a quick 3 or he’ll not run the set at all. But then he will get a steal. Hit a timely 3. Or get a monster dunk. It truly is feast or famine w him.

I will also say this about Ice. I’ve watched him at football games for 2 yrs now and the kid never turns down a picture or conversation from a fan. All game long sometimes. I just think that’s pretty special.