Cowboys remaining schedule:

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Right now, according to ESPN's game predictor, we are favored in every game except for TCU, Texas, and OU. I think that's just crazy.
I said this in another thread, but the ESPN playoff predictor gives Texas (7%) a better shot at making the playoff than us (4%). Who in their right mind would possibly think that is true. NO ONE with two losses has EVERY made the playoff. Honestly, that is historically surprising and it very likely could happen to someone, but still it is crazy.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/cfbplayoffpredictor/cfb-playoff-predictor

A much better predictor is the fivethiryeight one.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-college-football-predictions/

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Yep…I’m just worried about Texas tech for now. It’s fun to think about what might be, but let’s take it one game at a time. Just win the next one….then the next one….then the next one.
Plenty of football left and multiple tough road games plus Texas at home. We’re only 1/3 through the season, which is head to believe in and of itself that it’s already that far gone.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I said this in another thread, but the ESPN playoff predictor gives Texas (7%) a better shot at making the playoff than us (4%). Who in their right mind would possibly think that is true. NO ONE with two losses has EVERY made the playoff. Honestly, that is historically surprising and it very likely could happen to someone, but still it is crazy.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/cfbplayoffpredictor/cfb-playoff-predictor

A much better predictor is the fivethiryeight one.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-college-football-predictions/
Hey, when you've invested financially in a particular school you are going to pump them up.

I also saw that they included Texas in that predictor: absolutely hilarious how hard they are pushing for them. I mean, my god...they aren't even in the top 25 right now.

Jan 5, 2011
The expanded playoff is going to be fun. This year I think 3 teams are already a lock for the CFP. 2 Sec teams (Bama and Georgia as long as only 1 loss each) and Ohio State or Michigan. Then the 4th spot is up for grabs for Clemson, Usc/Utah, and an unbeaten or POSSIBLY (but doubtful) 1 loss big 12 champ.

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/1576972807342276608?s=46&t=OpOGsA1PRH19D7vlztKebw

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
It's early yet and Texas has 2 losses. I think it's a virtual certainty they will have at least one more loss in conference play. They will not make the playoff with three or more losses, so I'd say they have less than a 1% chance of making the playoffs.

ESPN must give heavy, heavy weight to a team that has won championships before. That is the only legitimate excuse I can think of besides pure helmet sticker SEC bound bias.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
Saw this on Facebook group that a fellow OSU fan posted in one of the group that I’m in.

View attachment 97495
IMO, it’s more about winning championships than winning percentage and we really suck at that. If we had 3-4 Big XII titles that would all change. But then again to win a conference championship (except last year) you have to beat your in state rival and we suck at that too!

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I will say this. Of all the teams on our remaining schedule, Texas might scare me the most. With Ewers they have the arm talent to really pick apart our secondary. Meanwhile, they at least have the talent up front to hold off our pass rush. Not saying it will happen, but that seems like a real possibility.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
It's early yet and Texas has 2 losses. I think it's a virtual certainty they will have at least one more loss in conference play. They will not make the playoff with three or more losses, so I'd say they have less than a 1% chance of making the playoffs.

ESPN must give heavy, heavy weight to a team that has made the playoff before. That is the only legitimate excuse I can think of besides pure helmet sticker SEC bound bias.
Texas has never made the playoff.

Oct 30, 2012
I will say this. Of all the teams on our remaining schedule, Texas might scare me the most. With Ewers they have the arm talent to really pick apart our secondary. Meanwhile, they at least have the talent up front to hold off our pass rush. Not saying it will happen, but that seems like a real possibility.
Actually Texas OL has been pretty bad in pass protection.

EDIT: Really not very good overall. "The Longhorns’ PFF run-blocking grade is 48.8 which is the second worst in the entire Power Five." Also their defense: "Opposing passers complete 66% of their passes which ranks 113th nationally. And, Texas has allowed 51 passes of 10-plus yards, the 100th-most in the FBS."

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Actually Texas OL has been pretty bad in pass protection.

EDIT: Really not very good overall. "The Longhorns’ PFF run-blocking grade is 48.8 which is the second worst in the entire Power Five." Also their defense: "Opposing passers complete 66% of their passes which ranks 113th nationally. And, Texas has allowed 51 passes of 10-plus yards, the 100th-most in the FBS."
They start two freshman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro