Cowboys in the 2018 MLB Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Kroon confirms on Twitter that he will sign with the Phillies. Best of luck to the kid and enjoyed watching him play this year.
What? Didn't he go like 16th round? Can't believe he's not coming back. Good to luck yo him but pretty shocked. He's a good player. I'm a big fan.

I think Kroon was our best position player with highest ceiling. Besides pitchers I mean. He can ball.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
What? Didn't he go like 16th round? Can't believe he's not coming back. Good to luck yo him but pretty shocked. He's a good player. I'm a big fan.

I think Kroon was our best position player with highest ceiling. Besides pitchers I mean. He can ball.
He obviously negotiated a nice bonus he won’t get next year

Nov 14, 2010

Having a dad who played in the Major Leagues, Kroon knows his leverage position.

You have no leverage as a graduated Senior

Also, possibly the #1 thing organizations value is bloodlines.

He knows he will get every chance on Earth to prove his merit just because of that.

He was a hired gun from the start and the coaches knew it

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
Heasley signing is a bit of a surprise as indications were he was leaning towards a return and as a draft eligible sophomore, he'd have retained his junior year leverage if he'd returned. His last start was phenomenal, but he was very inconsistent most of his career. Still plenty of candidates for the weekend rotation with the injured guys coming back, but his loss does hurt.

Dec 21, 2008
When I see mid round guys jump ship it makes me wonder if there is behind the scenes drama?

Guys like Trey Cobb and others would do anything to stay in Stillwater and play, esp when they have lots of talent coming back. Heasley has a 5.5+Era? If he got more consistent he could’ve been a top 7 round guy thus doubling his $?

Makes me

Jun 5, 2016
Dallas
Watching this Florida/auburn Regional final and "bull" coming out of the pen for Auburn. Can't help but think of Rob geiko pitching against Fullerton in regional finals....

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I would guess Elliot, Scott, and Stone. Could be a big time weekend rotation.
You'd have to assume they are the favorites in the clubhouse, but the JUCOs (Gragg and Lyons) come in having put up a lot of wins. (No inside info, but I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that we aren't done recruiting).

The great news - knock on wood - is that RW will have a much fuller cupboard to work from this year than he has had since 2016. I could see the staff struggling a little out of the gate as guys knock the rust off and spots get settled, but I'll be surprised if our 2019 staff - again, if healthy - isn't back toward the top of the league in ERA like all of Rob's staffs prior to 2017.

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
So any status on if we lost any recruits?
Only recruit who was drafted was Hueston Morrill, who went in the mid-late 30 rounds. He was ranked much higher than that on most draft prospect lists, which is usually an indication that a guy is leaning toward going to college. It's never a given, but I'd assume that they should all get to campus.

That said, it's not uncommon to lose a recruit or two after the fall as guys see that their playing time may not be as much as they hoped for.