Cowboys (8-6) Drop game against WVU. #19 Texas Tech on Thursday.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I really like Coach Mike. He loves osu and Stillwater. However, he really is unimpressive as a coach. He’s not getting any better and osu as a team and program are not getting any better. Disappointing

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Lastly I’ve said it all year there is a significant difference in 5-19 from 3 and 8-19 from 3. You just have to not be terrible from 3 and you will have a shot to win. Prime example is the Texas game. But we can’t seem to not be terrible from 3 except for about 1 out of every 10 games. We have 1 guy who can legitimately make a 3 consistently and that’s amazing. I don’t think he even got a shot off in the second half. God forbid we run plays to get him looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Wow. We made more shots than them and outscored them in the se one half. That’s really surprising. Unfortunately we were -12 in free throws. Unfortunately for years the MO has been to get down by double digits before deciding to do anything.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I really like Coach Mike. He loves osu and Stillwater. However, he really is unimpressive as a coach. He’s not getting any better and osu as a team and program are not getting any better. Disappointing
i wonder what thoughts go through Scott Sutton’s head during a game. I know he isn’t Eddie from a coaching standpoint but if my father’s name was on the floor I would be pissed by this teams showing this year. Maybe he is just happy to be collecting a pay check at this point. I love Boynton but something has to change. Boynton acts like my daughters soccer coach who refuses to coach much during the game and have the team rely upon what they leaned in practice. Hell this isn’t 14 year old girl soccer.

ArizonaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
Lastly I’ve said it all year there is a significant difference in 5-19 from 3 and 8-19 from 3. You just have to not be terrible from 3 and you will have a shot to win. Prime example is the Texas game. But we can’t seem to not be terrible from 3 except for about 1 out of every 10 games. We have 1 guy who can legitimately make a 3 consistently and that’s amazing. I don’t think he even got a shot off in the second half. God forbid we run plays to get him looks.

Good point. We need at least one guy to be hot from the 3 each game to help our offense. Williams can do it sometimes. Keylan can too. I was hoping Thompson or Walker could potentially do it as well. Don’t think Anderson will ever be that guy. He is more of a mid range slasher guy.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
i wonder what thoughts go through Scott Sutton’s head during a game. I know he isn’t Eddie from a coaching standpoint but if my father’s name was on the floor I would be pissed by this teams showing this year. Maybe he is just happy to be collecting a pay check at this point. I love Boynton but something has to change. Boynton acts like my daughters soccer coach who refuses to coach much during the game and have the team rely upon what they leaned in practice. Hell this isn’t 14 year old girl soccer.
You’re exactly right. He coaches like these are kids that can’t comprehend changes during a game. I talked about this with my kids coach tonight. For the first time ever they are allowed to press the last 2 minutes which we haven’t gone over yet. But he would have just confused them more to try and explain it during the game. So he had to wait until practice. That’s pretty much what we see every game with this team.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
A couple of games ago, someone suggested on this board that this team needs to revive the 40 minutes of hell.

Makes absolute sense with this team’s lack of offensive prowess and all the athletic depth.

It was me. And it’s the exact system to run with this team. But we just keep doing the same crap over and over again.

Jun 14, 2011
Stat Update. Only showing recent seasons for presentation purposes. Added a column so everyone can see the differences over the past 6 games.
Current Stat Update 011222.PNG

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
What can a coach do to rally the team when this season is literally pointless due to the ban?
I wouldn’t be playing my one senior who will be gone next year nearly as much as he’s playing. I’d use the entire year to try everything I haven’t done that other successful basketball coaches do.

I wouldn’t keep doing what we’re doing. And I wouldn’t accept that excuse anymore as the coach.

Nov 18, 2010
What can a coach do to rally the team when this season is literally pointless due to the ban?
This 'the players don't care, so why even try to win the games' excuse is the absolute worst excuse I've ever heard. It's so embarrassing to see this 'total apathy' excuse floated out there.

I simply don''t believe competitive athletes between the ages of 18-23, or a coach being paid millions of dollars, would step onto a basketball court and think to themselves, "this game doesn't matter, I don't care if we win or lose". If I was a player or coach, I would be very upset that fans were out there saying I had no heart or passion for my sport.

Dec 9, 2013
I wouldn’t be playing my one senior who will be gone next year nearly as much as he’s playing. I’d use the entire year to try everything I haven’t done that other successful basketball coaches do.

I wouldn’t keep doing what we’re doing. And I wouldn’t accept that excuse anymore as the coach.
Granted I don’t have vision into the program other than games, but what he is doing roster wise is as confusing as anything he’s done since being named HC. I had really high hopes for Rondel, Thompson and both Boones but outside of one good game by Keylan those 4 are really struggling and you could tell from last night that it’s all in their heads. You can literally see Rondel thinking way too hard to do the right thing. His best assets are instinct and quickness. His pause has literally taken both of those away. And we’ve got 2 Srs that can literally perform in any manner to the detriment of the team and their minutes go up.

Look at this roster right now. Look at what we have recruited for next year. Look at the Big12 (I thought Iowa St and Tech would take huge leaps backwards but they are both playing like top 10 teams). Now try to convince yourself that next year w no NCAA ban crap excuse we will somehow be better than bottom 1/3 of the league.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
This 'the players don't care, so why even try to win the games' excuse is the absolute worst excuse I've ever heard. It's so embarrassing to see this 'total apathy' excuse floated out there.

I simply don''t believe competitive athletes between the ages of 18-23, or a coach being paid millions of dollars, would step onto a basketball court and think to themselves, "this game doesn't matter, I don't care if we win or lose". If I was a player or coach, I would be very upset that fans were out there saying I had no heart or passion for my sport.
The ban has affected the team mentality as it would any team. This is an legitimate “excuse” and is very clear to see on the court. Our team is playing bad. I can not say that it’s entirely on the ban or HCMB. Honestly, it could be both. To say the ban wouldn’t affect the players is something I respectfully disagree with.

However, I do agree about being an athlete and having the competitiveness to win games despite the ban. The competitiveness of winning because you are the better team. I’m just not entirely sure if most of our players still have that competitiveness now. As if we have lost all of our confidence.

You have the post season ban, fans do not show up to games, and we are playing bad basketball. I’m sure if you are 18-23 year old kid, that will weigh heavy on your confidence, ultimately affecting the team mentality.

I just want us to get out of this funk and just go compete and play good basketball. I believe HCMB and the players will get there.

Aug 16, 2012

I agree that during a game, especially at the onset, they are as fired up and ready to get a win as any team. But during the week, it is easy to see how someone knowing the result really does not matter will ultimately skate through drills, film work, etc. May not be intentional, but it has to be there to some degree. As a result, no matter how pumped up you are at game time, if you are not ready for your opponent, the lack of preparation will eventually rear its ugly head.

It looks to me like that is part of the problem, especially the guys who are completely lost on defense.

But that is only part of the issue. Want MB to succeed, but it is getting harder and harder to defend how his teams play.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
you lost to a top 25 team on the road--sky isnt falling.
big 12 is Hell this year. Need to have a short memory when you lose.
Appreciate the pep talk but it’s not about losing. It’s the way we’re losing. And we don’t have a hall of fame coach to fall back on and help course correct.

There is nothing tangible out there to suggest we could have a one season turn around similar to what WVU did recently after a bad year or what Iowa State has done this year. Nothing out there but blind optimism.

Last edited: