Cowboys (6-3) comes up short against Xavier in the Big 12/Big East Challenge. Pokes have a week break and will be back Monday the 13th vs Cleveland

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
The inability to come up with different ways to attack the zone is bizarre. We played 12 guys yesterday, but we still played Ice 36min.

I'm not sure how we can get into any kind of offensive efficiency with guys not having any inclination what their minutes and role will be from game to game.

Kansas State just won at Wichita State, the team we looked inept against down the stretch of our last home loss. I am getting very worried.

The NCAA thing is no excuse. There have been plenty of teams that have played well under these circumstances. The penalties have not had any effects on our scholarships as of yet.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
The inability to come up with different ways to attack the zone is bizarre. We played 12 guys yesterday, but we still played Ice 36min.

I'm not sure how we can get into any kind of offensive efficiency with guys not having any inclination what their minutes and role will be from game to game.

Kansas State just won at Wichita State, the team we looked inept against down the stretch of our last home loss. I am getting very worried.

The NCAA thing is no excuse. There have been plenty of teams that have played well under these circumstances. The penalties have not had any effects on our scholarships as of yet.
All you have to do against the zone is shoot well. (Also work though the man in the middle of the zone.) If we can't get better, it's going to be a tough season.

Sep 23, 2010
All you have to do against the zone is shoot well. (Also work though the man in the middle of the zone.) If we can't get better, it's going to be a tough season.
Although I think shooting is important versus the zone. We see a zone, and our energy on offense just comes to a crawl. We have to find something that creates some energy. Player and ball movement. Attack gaps. Flatten the zone out. Good teams don't just make 3's versus a zone. The zones we see these days are designed to be spread out and take away easy 3pt shots. It's not old school, pack it in and make them shoot 2-3 zones anymore.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
Although I think shooting is important versus the zone. We see a zone, and our energy on offense just comes to a crawl. We have to find something that creates some energy. Player and ball movement. Attack gaps. Flatten the zone out. Good teams don't just make 3's versus a zone. The zones we see these days are designed to be spread out and take away easy 3pt shots. It's not old school, pack it in and make them shoot 2-3 zones anymore.
I didn't watch Xavier but I saw ORU's box and one. Move the ball and shoot well. Beating the zone is actually really simple.

Dec 9, 2013
If we can’t figure out baseline inbounds, I have little confidence we figure out how to attack a zone.

Dec 9, 2013
The frustrating thing is this team has some nice pieces. AA is all conference type talent. Bryce Thompson while not elite is a 10-14 a night player and surprisingly defends capably. Rondel brings effort. Defends well and can create some offense (8-10/night). Kalib could be an all-conf player and Smith would be a great backup giving 15-20 minutes a night. Ice defends and rebounds for a guard. I would consider trying him at the 4. Keylan and MAM if given defined roles and yanked when outside their lane could give you minutes.

To me what’s causing problems is you recruited a 1 and done 5* over the top of a position where the roster players are better and you talked a player into coming back that self admits doesn’t like college and never fit in last yr. Those 2 guys are putting this and next year’s roster at risk and not giving you what you need.

Further evidence Boynton is struggling is that we have different players playing together or sitting from game to game and even half to half. Donavan starts the season then goes games w 0 minutes then plays again. Rondel starts the season then gets sporadic minutes then starts again. Keylan doesn’t know from 1 game to the next if he will play. MAM starts then doesn’t then does then gets little minutes. B Williams plays 12 minutes in the 1st half then maybe 2 in the second. How can you manage a kid’s mentality and confidence thru any of this. And we haven’t even talked about how this affects chemistry on the floor. Bryce Williams threw the ball into Xavier’s bench bc he thought Thompson would move back up the line. Bryce spotted up and didn’t move. Williams then showed up Thompson on the floor on national TV and in his own gym. Boynton pulls Thompson. Come on. You don’t show up a teammate on the floor. Coach has to be better.