Cowboys 4Ever Poll

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What is your opinion of the song and age range

• Like it -- Ages 24 and under

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Like it -- Ages 25-40

Votes: 27 5.5%
  • Like it -- Ages 41+

Votes: 37 7.5%
  • Neutral/Wait and See -- Ages 24 and under

Votes: 30 6.1%
  • Neutral/Wait and See -- Ages 25-40

Votes: 72 14.6%
  • Neutral/Wait and See -- Ages 41+

Votes: 51 10.3%
  • GAH, my ears are bleeding! -- Ages 24 and under

Votes: 64 13.0%
  • GAH, my ears are bleeding! -- Ages 25-40

Votes: 154 31.2%
  • GAH, my ears are bleeding! -- 41+

Votes: 49 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2006
Re: Cowboys Forever

Okay, I was a little harsh. Just doesn't strike me as intro material, and I'm sure the players will hate it. The video is usually fun to watch so I will try to ignore the music as much as possible.

Jan 28, 2008

My god who gives a crap what the intro song is or isn't. All I care about is about a great season to come. I can guarantee you the intro has nothing to do with how our boys perform on the field. To those that said we don't deserve to win on the 5th because of this song, that is a foolish thing to say. I know I sound like I am over-reacting but lets focus on whats really important, football, not intro songs.

Cow2boys2

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2009
Fort Supply, OK

I agree it's probably not the "we're going to stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry" song that will get people pumped for football, but I do think it would be a good candidate to replace Toby Keith's crooning for post-game music.
Ok this song has great lyrics but it is not even close to what we need to get everyone pumped up.

Also Should've Been A Cowboy should ALWAYS be our post-game song!!! It's perfect and it just wouldn't be the same if they didn't play it.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com

John Martin is the country music equivalent to Ambien. I saw him open for Keith Anderson in GIA a couple years ago. It isn't that his music is bad, lyrically it is just fine. There is and always has been something just short of interesting when it comes to the music. I like country so don't think that is the issue.

And don't get me started on the black graphic Pistol Pete stupidity that I'm starting to see around.

Question to those in the Athletic Department that read this: Why the heck do you guys simply not understand a few simple concepts? First, Pistol Pete is an icon and shouldn't be messed with beyond simple updating (like changing the color of his vest a few years ago was no big deal). Second, don't give out anything other than orange items (IE Orange Rewards giving out a gray shirt last year) - It is the identity of our athletics and again shouldn't even be up for discussion. Third, turning things over to family members of the athletic department rarely yields the results you were hoping for and then nobody wants to have the guts to say that the outcome is mediocre or worse because they fear offending somebody in the Athletic Department.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Feb 14, 2007
Mid-town Tulsa

I get a sweet caroline vibe from this song. Cant imagine this is the intro, but I could see them using it during a break in the game to "bring all the fans together." Plus it is short enough to work in a long TV timeout. Dont know if I like it or not yet. Music might be a little off, but i get the idea.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

At BEST this song is backgound music for a commercial or something local bars should use to signal closing time. I'm alright with country but at least make it something good, which of course means something other than this or Big and Rich's "We like it loud". Good grief the last couple of years have been pitiful music choices and the idea that this song is being used due to nepotism makes it even more unacceptable.

Phantom Pete or whatever it's called needs to disappear very quickly...maybe bring him out for Holloween night but that's the only time. If the rumors that the changes were driven by 3rd party marketing groups are true then the AD needs to stop paying attention to outside influences and listen to the fans. Would Penn State change their mountain lion to a black panther? Would USC make a stealth Trojan? How about TU and the black tornado's? Or UT changing BEVO to a Holstein? Give me a break and leave Pete alone!

We wear ORANGE
Sooners wear red
Huskers wear red
Techsters wear rags
LSU wears yellow
and on and on...stop mucking around.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

I think the song is good, but I'm not sure if it's intro material. I wouldn't mind hearing it before the game starts or during halftime or something--just doesn't really get me amped.
Just curious, but why do you need a song to get you amped? I remember back in the day when we didn't have intro songs...

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net

Just curious, but why do you need a song to get you amped? I remember back in the day when we didn't have intro songs...
Don't need a song to get pumped but we don't need to listen to a song to depress all of us and lose that pumped up feeling, either.

Starting next year, OSU will play Christmas Shoes during the OSU intro. Earn boxes of Kleenex with your Orange Rewards! :D

Aug 3, 2006

"Just curious, but why do you need a song to get you amped? I remember back in the day when we didn't have intro songs..."

Seriously after this song, I suggest we head back in that direction.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA

"Cowboys 4Ever"...not to be confused with "Tulsa Forever", which was TU's football marketing campaign a year or two ago. Apparently, ours is different because we use textspeak.

I'd complain about the black, but as with most things, I know it will do little good. The new Pete design looks awful - seriously, it looks like the Phantom of the Opera - but we'll be stuck with it. The Marketing Department is as stubborn as Holder.

At this point, I'm just waiting to see which game gets designated as the "Blackout" game, because all evidence from this new marketing says it's going to happen.

I don't understand why some people are trying to fight orange so hard. Texas and Florida don't seem to have trouble with it.

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX

All of the above are good reasons not to play a waltz immediately after scoring a touchdown...just saying.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net

The Marketing Department is as stubborn as Holder.
Well, worst case is it will only last a year like every single thing our marketing dept. does. Things can't just be kept alone, even when wel received by the fans. To jump on the "hip" bandwagon (Pizza Hut, Radio Shack, etc), I can anticipate OSU being renamed to The University.

Jan 14, 2007

Ok so I have not yet listened to the song, but I do know John personally and have for a long time. I am excited for him to get this and trust me there was a whole lot put into this song. Some bigtime producers were in on this song and even some other Cowboy greats helped out with it. Expect a major presence of this campaign on Sept. 5th. Also, yeah maybe we won't love the campaign as a whole but it is what it is so let's not bitch and just get behind it and be excited to be Cowboys!

Status
Not open for further replies.