Cowboys (11-4) WIN against Arkansas Razorbacks! HMCB 3-1 in Big 12/SEC. @ TCU on WEDNESDAY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I didn't watch the first half, but Avery Anderson had one of the most boneheaded TO's I've seen late in the 2nd.

Arkansas had that soft trap just beyond the 3pt line, and instead of an easy lob over the defenders, he tried to throw a fastball bounce pass between them. He bounced it directly off a dude's knee. He pretty much just passed him the ball.

So... I guess I don't have an answer to your question, but that pass really bothered me and I thought it should be noted.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I get what you are saying and I admit I didn't see this play, but in HS we ran that same trap, and one back guy's assignment was to look for and intercept the soft lob over pass. The offense CAN lob over, but they must have good timing and an accurate pass.
Yeah, Arkansas had some good length on the wing so if that lob isn't on point, they can tip it. But if I'm remembering correctly, MAM was behind the trap without anyone near him, and there was essentially no ball pressure, so a D1 guard should be able to navigate that trap.

Anderson just kind of looked at the guys and threw it right at their legs. It was puzzling. I think Boynton benched him at the next dead ball, which I liked.

At any rate, the overall TO problem is a real concern.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Such a fun game to watch going back and forth with with them, although if we could ever cut down on our turnovers that game wouldnt have even been close. I love watching Cade take over a the end of the game, he always is so under control and doesnt seem to force too much. I wonder if we will jump into the top 25 after this win or not?

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Such a fun game to watch going back and forth with with them, although if we could ever cut down on our turnovers that game wouldnt have even been close. I love watching Cade take over a the end of the game, he always is so under control and doesnt seem to force too much. I wonder if we will jump into the top 25 after this win or not?
It was posted in another thread, we’re #26. KU is still #23 at 11-6.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
Arkansas rep said if they had just made a normal percent of free throws they would have won the game (they shot 57%). Glad we had the FT defense going....

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just my opinion, but saying Cade lacks athleticism is pretty stupid. He lacks explosiveness, but certainly isn't lacking athleticism, IMO. Somewhere along the way people have gotten to the point where they think athleticism is only about speed, quickness, leaping ability. If a player has a 45 inch vertical but has no feel for shooting a 12 footer without it almost breaking the backboard and can't dribble, that's a lack of athleticism too, in a sense. There's much more to athleticism.
Yeah, I agree that the way "athleticism" is used by most talking heads and scouts just covers two things: leaping and burst. Which is what the announcer was referring to, so in that sense, the announcer was correct.

Cade is average in both areas, but I wouldn't say he lacks athleticism as a whole. So I guess it's semantics really.

Luka Doncic is a great example of an "unathletic" yet actually highly athletic player, and a guy you will probably see Cade compared to a lot. Neither guy beats the defense with explosiveness or quick bursts, but what they lack in those areas they make up for with balance, change of direction, body control, and footwork. Luka is elite (like, one of the best ever) at these things. He knows he can't beat most defenders in a straight line drive so he uses counters, head fakes, ball fakes, deceleration, and elite footwork to confuse defenders. Cade has the tools to craft these things but he doesn't have them yet.

So, in a sense, I agree that calling Cade an "average athlete" is dumb, but in the way it is most commonly used today, he isn't particularly athletic.

If they want to say that explosiveness, etc... are athleticism, then I'd call what he has, "athletic skill". It's not just b-ball smarts, it goes beyond that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRJNa-psDs

First highlight on here. Does Cade have "jump out of the gym" ability? No. But, it takes athleticism to pull this off, period.
Yeah, it's an impressive play. And I wouldn't say Cade is unathletic, he just doesn't have the same level of verticality and burst you see from most #1 picks. There isn't a player in the NBA that is truly unathletic. Again, I guess it's all just semantics. But he doesn't finish in traffic with verticality and he sometimes struggles in 1-on-1 perimeter situations because he lacks the first step to blow by defenders. This is why he sometimes over dribbles and loses the ball trying to get past his man, and why the announcer said what he did. Boynton himself has said many times that Cade isn't an elite athlete.

Again, I don't think Cade is truly unathletic. I think he is clearly the best prospect for the '21 draft, and I think he'll have a very long and productive NBA career.

Sorry for the thread derailment, guys. What are you all expecting from the TCU game?

Jan 13, 2005
Yeah, it's an impressive play. And I wouldn't say Cade is unathletic, he just doesn't have the same level of verticality and burst you see from most #1 picks. There isn't a player in the NBA that is truly unathletic. Again, I guess it's all just semantics. But he doesn't finish in traffic with verticality and he sometimes struggles in 1-on-1 perimeter situations because he lacks the first step to blow by defenders. This is why he sometimes over dribbles and loses the ball trying to get past his man, and why the announcer said what he did. Boynton himself has said many times that Cade isn't an elite athlete.

Again, I don't think Cade is truly unathletic. I think he is clearly the best prospect for the '21 draft, and I think he'll have a very long and productive NBA career.

Sorry for the thread derailment, guys. What are you all expecting from the TCU game?

1612210510165.png