Cowboys (11-4) WIN against Arkansas Razorbacks! HMCB 3-1 in Big 12/SEC. @ TCU on WEDNESDAY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What conf are these boobs from?[/QUOTE

Basketball doesn’t have “conference referees “. You will see the same guy calling a Big 12 game on Monday then an SEC game on Tuesday and an ACC game on Wednesday.
Why do we see the same refs so often though. Like the ref that shall not be named that hates us obviously,....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2011
...wait. Are you suggesting that Cade is intentionally holding back for the sake of player development?
No, in the final 5 he controls the game and it plays through him. If he did that all game other players don't take shots, don't gain confidence, that's why Boone was able to find his confidence and play through him.

Jun 23, 2005
Why do we see the same refs so often though. Like the ref that shall not be named that hates us obviously,....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I could be wrong on this, but I think they started scheduling refs to work games closer to their homes. Trying to cut down on travel due to COVID.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I really liked the announcer on his call of Cunningham with the athletic step back shot that gave the Pokes the lead for good saying that he “is not really athletic”.
My wife heard that and said, “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. I hate announcers.”

God, I love that woman.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I really liked the announcer on his call of Cunningham with the athletic step back shot that gave the Pokes the lead for good saying that he “is not really athletic”.
Cade really isn't that athletic, though. At least not in the prototypical, #1 pick sense. He doesn't have a quick first step, he's not an explosive leaper, and his lateral quickness is so-so. It is by far the most consistent knock on his game from a scouting perspective.

This will be the concern you hear most about him pre-draft.

I would say that his balance, body control, and footwork (for the most part) are pretty high level. Which is a form of athleticism, but it's a legitimate comment from the announcer.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Cade really isn't that athletic, though. At least not in the prototypical, #1 pick sense. He doesn't have a quick first step, he's not an explosive leaper, and his lateral quickness is so-so. It is by far the most consistent knock on his game from a scouting perspective.

I would say that his balance, body control, and footwork (for the most part) are pretty high level. Which is a form of athleticism, but it's a legitimate comment from the announcer.

Careful. My wife just shot you the evil eye.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

Careful. My wife just shot you the evil eye.
Haha... tell her I still love Cade.

Early in the season there were some questions about him being the clear #1 guy. As the season has gone on, though, I think he's made it apparent that he is going #1.

There is a decent gulf between him and Evan Mobley at #2, and Mobley is a great prospect. Cade is one of the best American draft prospects in several years and will be an All-Star caliber player for a long time.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Just my opinion, but saying Cade lacks athleticism is pretty stupid. He lacks explosiveness, but certainly isn't lacking athleticism, IMO. Somewhere along the way people have gotten to the point where they think athleticism is only about speed, quickness, leaping ability. If a player has a 45 inch vertical but has no feel for shooting a 12 footer without it almost breaking the backboard and can't dribble, that's a lack of athleticism too, in a sense. There's much more to athleticism.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Haha... tell her I still love Cade.

Early in the season there were some questions about him being the clear #1 guy. As the season has gone on, though, I think he's made it apparent that he is going #1.

There is a decent gulf between him and Evan Mobley at #2, and Mobley is a great prospect. Cade is one of the best American draft prospects in several years and will be an All-Star caliber player for a long time.

Like you were saying earlier, it depends some on your definition of “athleticism.” Cade doesn’t jump through the roof or speed past everyone. But I consider balance, body control, and footwork (as you pointed out) to be indicators of athleticism. I agree with @Ptak'sNewspaper that “explosiveness” may be what the announcer was addressing.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Just my opinion, but saying Cade lacks athleticism is pretty stupid. He lacks explosiveness, but certainly isn't lacking athleticism, IMO. Somewhere along the way people have gotten to the point where they think athleticism is only about speed, quickness, leaping ability. If a player has a 45 inch vertical but has no feel for shooting a 12 footer without it almost breaking the backboard and can't dribble, that's a lack of athleticism too, in a sense. There's much more to athleticism.
Yeah, I agree that the way "athleticism" is used by most talking heads and scouts just covers two things: leaping and burst. Which is what the announcer was referring to, so in that sense, the announcer was correct.

Cade is average in both areas, but I wouldn't say he lacks athleticism as a whole. So I guess it's semantics really.

Luka Doncic is a great example of an "unathletic" yet actually highly athletic player, and a guy you will probably see Cade compared to a lot. Neither guy beats the defense with explosiveness or quick bursts, but what they lack in those areas they make up for with balance, change of direction, body control, and footwork. Luka is elite (like, one of the best ever) at these things. He knows he can't beat most defenders in a straight line drive so he uses counters, head fakes, ball fakes, deceleration, and elite footwork to confuse defenders. Cade has the tools to craft these things but he doesn't have them yet.

So, in a sense, I agree that calling Cade an "average athlete" is dumb, but in the way it is most commonly used today, he isn't particularly athletic.

Sep 23, 2010
I thought the announcer was speaking to athleticism in regards to what you see from usual #1 picks in the NBA. Because NBA does draft on upside so much. I would say the guy who is challenging Cade would be Jalen Suggs for Gonzaga. He's another big point guard but a lot more "explosive". He's been struggling with injury as of late which could be hurting him.

Cade's not a blow by guy or even an elevate over the top of you guy. He has great length, and he plays with great pace and pretty good understanding. He has a lot of tools in his bag as well. He's easily the safest pick in the draft right now. And Cade is a good athlete. He just doesn't jump off the screen like a Russell Westbrook. His game is closer to Luka Doncic's game.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Hate to pivot back to the game, but what are we going to do about all these turnovers? I'm trying to figure this out. It's really disturbing right now.
I didn't watch the first half, but Avery Anderson had one of the most boneheaded TO's I've seen late in the 2nd.

Arkansas had that soft trap just beyond the 3pt line, and instead of an easy lob over the defenders, he tried to throw a fastball bounce pass between them. He bounced it directly off a dude's knee. He pretty much just passed him the ball.

So... I guess I don't have an answer to your question, but that pass really bothered me and I thought it should be noted.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Hate to pivot back to the game, but what are we going to do about all these turnovers? I'm trying to figure this out. It's really disturbing right now.
First thing I think is to tell Moncrieffe to slow down when he gets the ball at the top of the key, and preferably, do not drive it. Maybe that will be a part of his game in the future but right now, he needs to quit trying to dribble to make a play.

Second, I think they need to find the line between playing fast and playing smart. Multiple turnovers where they get a rebound or deflection and they are in such a hurry to push the ball they pass it to the first person with the same jersey on without realizing the opponents are still right there.

I'd say about half the turnovers could be avoided if the players just took a breath real quick when they got the ball instead of going from zero to one hundred in an instant

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
I didn't watch the first half, but Avery Anderson had one of the most boneheaded TO's I've seen late in the 2nd.

Arkansas had that soft trap just beyond the 3pt line, and instead of an easy lob over the defenders, he tried to throw a fastball bounce pass between them. He bounced it directly off a dude's knee. He pretty much just passed him the ball.

So... I guess I don't have an answer to your question, but that pass really bothered me and I thought it should be noted.

I get what you are saying and I admit I didn't see this play, but in HS we ran that same trap, and one back guy's assignment was to look for and intercept the soft lob over pass. The offense CAN lob over, but they must have good timing and an accurate pass.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Yeah, I agree that the way "athleticism" is used by most talking heads and scouts just covers two things: leaping and burst. Which is what the announcer was referring to, so in that sense, the announcer was correct.

Cade is average in both areas, but I wouldn't say he lacks athleticism as a whole. So I guess it's semantics really.

Luka Doncic is a great example of an "unathletic" yet actually highly athletic player, and a guy you will probably see Cade compared to a lot. Neither guy beats the defense with explosiveness or quick bursts, but what they lack in those areas they make up for with balance, change of direction, body control, and footwork. Luka is elite (like, one of the best ever) at these things. He knows he can't beat most defenders in a straight line drive so he uses counters, head fakes, ball fakes, deceleration, and elite footwork to confuse defenders. Cade has the tools to craft these things but he doesn't have them yet.

So, in a sense, I agree that calling Cade an "average athlete" is dumb, but in the way it is most commonly used today, he isn't particularly athletic.

I agree with this. Part of the reason for the confusion is the laziness of the English language. Being athletic does not make you an athlete. Being an athlete does not mean you are athletic

A trait is a characteristic that you are born with.
A skill is an ability that you can develop.
A talent is using your trait on your skill to perform at a high level.

To me, everyone is born with some level of athleticism whether they have little to none (like me) or a freak like Russel Westbrook.

What you want is talent. Using your traits to the best of their ability on a skill that you work hard to develop. We can all think of players that were athletically superior, but do not excel on the court/ field because they have not honed their skill. Tyreek Hill is a great example of that. From where he was a raw but athletic before the NFL to where he is now.

I think Cade is one of the most talented players in the NCAA but it’s because his other traits and his work to develop his skill set. It’s not a knock on him at all to say he’s not athletic. It’s just on the spectrum of athleticism, he is not as high as other guys that are performing at his level.

It’s actually complimentary if you look at it.

A better way of saying it is “look how talented this guy is, despite not being the most athletic.” I think that was the intent of the comment.