Cowboys (10-4) defeats ISU 81-60. Pokes are 4-4 in Big 12. Next Up Arkansas in GIA SATURDAY. Big 12/SEC. HCMB is 2-1 in challenge

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Yea but when we separated at the end AA was a big part of that
Last night showed the problem w Anderson. He has the raw talent to be elite. He can defend the ball. He can knock down 3s, has above avg 15-18 foot jumper. And if you guard him for the jumper he can make you look real bad by getting to the rim.

Boynton has the responsibility to turn him into the elite player. We all saw the turnovers last night. Most of his come from really poor decisions. Going to fast. Driving to deep. Trying to make passes from bad angles or spots on the floor.

What you saw as Anderson helping us separate I saw as questionable decisions. Up 12-14 under 4 and he takes shots in back to back possessions less than 5 seconds into our half court set wo one pass or one screen. Yes he made a contested layup and a mid range jumper that pushed the lead toward 20 but risk reward tells you to run clock then get the ball to the rim. It’s player decisions like this that are keeping Boynton from taking the next step as a coach. I hope he gets there but he made the same decisions last night that cost us vs TCU and WV. Case in point was player personnel. With the game still hovering around 10 points we had a former walk on and Kuoma and Ke Boone on the floor w no Ice. Then later we have both Boones and Anderson on the floor w Walker and Williams. If I remember we had back to back turnovers and thankfully Iowa St was just awful. Boynton did sub and correct the lineup but why even have these combos? If in either one of those situations Iowa St converts 2 straight possessions the game tightens and we put ourselves in an unnecessary fight where you lose another late game lead.
I agree with the sentiment completely, but I’d pump the breaks on him as a shooter and pump him up a bit more on ability as a slasher. He’s elite at getting to the hoop. The jumper’s percentages are good, but he still can’t take one in rhythm in halfcourt unless someone has sagged way off. But I personally don’t mind the approach of I don’t shoot unless I’m wide open, but I hit the open ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
24 turnovers and 43% from line and still score 81 points. Should have had 100.
These turnovers are ridiculous. I cringe every time AA tries to dribble fast. NOTE: I missed this game (didn't want to wake up at 3AM for ISU). Sounds like a missed a Colvin pick-up game.

59.3% FG shooting and +29 in rebounding. 13 Offensive Reb to ISU 15 Defensive Reb. It is hard to get better stats than that.

Sep 23, 2010
Boone was actually the most efficient offensive player in the game. 7 for 7 with 15 points in 21 minutes. He’s had back to back really good games

No arguments here. Kalib has been much better the last two games. Hopefully he finds some consistency with that. I've been critical of his late in game turnovers and lack of physicality. He does need to clean up the turnovers (3 in 21 minutes for someone who doesn't handle the ball is not good). But he's playing with more energy and zip and that's exactly what we need.

Sep 23, 2010
Nice to get the win, but they should be running a lot the next two days in practice. Boynton should flat out tell the upper classmen they should be embarrassed two freshman had to bail them out against a Iowa State JV team.

Also, player comparison - Rondel Walker = Terrell Harris..?
I like the comparison but Walker has a lot more Junk Yard Dog in him than Harris. Both smooth wing players though.

Oct 30, 2007
Nice to get the win, but they should be running a lot the next two days in practice. Boynton should flat out tell the upper classmen they should be embarrassed two freshman had to bail them out against a Iowa State JV team.

Also, player comparison - Rondel Walker = Terrell Harris..?
Rondel Walker reminds me of Tony Allen. I think he has the potential to be really good by the time he leaves.

Sep 23, 2010
These turnovers are ridiculous. I cringe every time AA tries to dribble fast. NOTE: I missed this game (didn't want to wake up at 3AM for ISU). Sounds like a missed a Colvin pick-up game.

59.3% FG shooting and +29 in rebounding. 13 Offensive Reb to ISU 15 Defensive Reb. It is hard to get better stats than that.
AA has been better with the turnovers this year as the third in line ballhandler. However, last two games he has 5 per game with him being put in a position to handle and make more decisions with Cade being out. Last night, there was no discrimination. Everyone was giving the ball to the other team.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Everyone seems to forget when ICE was a freshman he was a turnover machine, and when he drove he often would jump with nowhere to go. AA is following a similar path and is GREATLY improved over the last year, plus he has a pretty good free throw jump shot and can make a three here and there. I think he is going to be a really good player by the time he leaves here. He just needs to learn when fast is good idea and when fast is bad idea, sometimes he gets them mixed up, but I'll take an aggressive player over a timid one any day of the week.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Everyone seems to forget when ICE was a freshman he was a turnover machine, and when he drove he often would jump with nowhere to go. AA is following a similar path and is GREATLY improved over the last year, plus he has a pretty good free throw jump shot and can make a three here and there. I think he is going to be a really good player by the time he leaves here. He just needs to learn when fast is good idea and when fast is bad idea, sometimes he gets them mixed up, but I'll take an aggressive player over a timid one any day of the week.
You're definitely right. AA has improved a ton. For me, it was just THIS GAME that he played poorly and it was surprising after how well he had played recently and how bad the opponent is.

He's going to be a really good one and is showing signs already.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Boone was actually the most efficient offensive player in the game. 7 for 7 with 15 points in 21 minutes. He’s had back to back really good games

He's getting better. Much more explosive in the paint. Still scares me with the turnovers when he puts the ball on the floor, but he's headed the right direction.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
He's getting better. Much more explosive in the paint. Still scares me with the turnovers when he puts the ball on the floor, but he's headed the right direction.
Him and MAM both, if they take more than one dribble it gets pretty dicey. Seems like EVERY freshman, even Cade has to learn how to dribble in traffic and when you hold the ball below your waist its easy for the other team to strip the ball. They ALL got by with doing it in high school

Jun 14, 2011
I hope he continues in the right direction. He was headed that way at the end of last year but seemingly regressed. I think he really needs to work on his strength, awareness, and passing in the paint. When he gets the ball, rarely does it come back out, even if he is surrounded. At that point he tries to muscle up something which results in a turnover or just terrible shot which doesn't technically count as a turnover, but is. While his performance in the Baylor game was an aberration in my book and I don't give any credence to beating ISU's JV team, I hope he can prove me wrong and keep his production up.

AA needs to work on when to go fast and when to slow it down (someone posted this a bit more eloquently before me). If he can do that AND get a respectable 3-pt shooting stroke down.... he could do GREAT things.

Lastly, I love the occasional speed line-up of Williams, Walker, and AA. Their defense on the perimeter is fun to watch. Eddie would be proud.

Dec 9, 2013
You're definitely right. AA has improved a ton. For me, it was just THIS GAME that he played poorly and it was surprising after how well he had played recently and how bad the opponent is.

He's going to be a really good one and is showing signs already.
He got yanked late in the KU collapse bc of turnovers on 3 of 4 possessions. He’s a sophomore basically in his 1st real meaningful minutes. This is where Boynton owes it to the young man. Pulling him against KU was the right move for the team and Anderson’s future. Hopefully last night is another teaching moment thru accountability. I’ve gone from never play Anderson to play him w a very short leash to I like this kid’s potential play him w a medium leash. If Boynton can coach this kid up he will be really good on both ends. That begins and ends w his maturity as a decision maker.

Dec 17, 2011
Idk who is watching this ou vs UT game but this fake crowd noise is the worst thing I've ever heard. I'd rather listen to the rooster from south Carolinas football than this.