Cowboy Basketball: KU defeats OSU in Allenfield House. Series Split. Next up KSU on Saturday.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
That was Rondel. Slowly developing for Kalib Boone. Not sure what happened tonight.
I think Rondell can develop into that player over time. Possibly as soon as sometime next year. Still a little too out of control at times. Since late last year, Ice was showing to be that player.

Nov 14, 2010
I like this team better with Ice running the show.

Ice can give you a lot of what Cade gives you in terms of breaking a team down off the dribble.

But, he can do it through the flow of an offense.

When Cade becomes the go to guy everyone is forced to play like him.

He doesn't score through the flow of an offense.

He scores with the ball in his hands off of ball screens etc...

Isolation ...ball screen offense and its not always a net positive

The ball sticks when hes the focused scorer and so does the movement on offense.

Its a switch Boynton is having to turn on and off.

We either run offense, or we give the ball to Cade and everyone stands and watches him try to make a play.

We haven't found an in between.

Dec 9, 2013
You and Self can laugh all you want. Kansas was never in any danger of losing and had a lead for the last 24minutes of the game. Most of it by double digits. EZ WIN
Notice how self used his to’s. 1st half Cade w an absolute great pass for the slam. Then KU makes a stupid turnover. Followed by a Cade 3. OSU up 5. TO KU. KU closes half on run to lead by 3. 2nd half we close to 4 bc KU starts to relax. TO KU. They push lead to 10.

Contrast that to how and when we call TO. Saturday against TX we had 3 2nd half TO’s (some were media) where we had possession out of TO and turned it over. A 4th was a horrible deep 3.

Dec 9, 2013

Ice can give you a lot of what Cade gives you in terms of breaking a team down off the dribble.

The ball sticks when hes the focused scorer and so does the movement on offense.

We either run offense, or we give the ball to Cade and everyone stands and watches him try to make a play.

I think that’s why Boone is so up and down.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I hope someone asks Boynton why he abandoned the zone tonight. Would love to hear his answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it’s bc we were getting abused from the elbow. I actually think it was a good move and we probably should have pressured them more full court given how shaky they were.
I might buy that but Boynton has changed defenses consistently in most games. Not sure why that didn’t happen tonight. Would love to hear his logic, especially when you have an injured Ice attempting to guard McCormick down low.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Agree completely and I think Cade plays much better when he is not running the point. Gives the opportunity for the defense to be out of position when he receives the ball as opposed to him having to get the defense out of position.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Like I said pregame, KU is an especially tough match up for us. I’m more confident about going against Tech and OU than Kansas even those teams are probably better.

Still, got some stuff to figure out. It’s extremely difficult, because he’s the heart of the team, but I’m very of the mind where we need to really wind back on Ice’s minutes. I just don’t think he offers more than 1. Getting additional spacers on the court, and 2. Playing MAM at the 4 to take some of the defensive burden off of Kalib (also possible because Kouma has really played some great minutes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I hope someone asks Boynton why he abandoned the zone tonight. Would love to hear his answer.

I think it’s bc we were getting abused from the elbow. I actually think it was a good move and we probably should have pressured them more full court given how shaky they were.
I might buy that but Boynton has changed defenses consistently in most games. Not sure why that didn’t happen tonight. Would love to hear his logic, especially when you have an injured Ice attempting to guard McCormick down low.

In Boyton’s defense that was a pure change of pace look, we saw it for about a minute with 11 minutes left and then again with about 6 minutes left. It definitely happened but it was probably 3-4 game minutes max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Boynton on turnovers:

"We need to practice. We had some turnover issues earlier in the year, and then we had some really good practices where we were able to focus on holding them more accountable to it. One of the challenges when you don't have practices, and this isn't an excuse, we really couldn't do much about all the turnovers Saturday because we just had to try to get ready for the game today, other than watch some film. That's on us. We got to get better in that area, for sure."

On Boone's limited minutes:

"He just didn't have it. He wasn't really as engaged as he needed to be, particularly on the defensive end. (David) McCormack went right at us. We didn't offer much resistance at all. So, when that happens, you got to figure out another way to try to win, and we thought maybe playing small. We gave [Bernard Kouma] a chance and obviously tried to get [Matthew-Alexander Moncrieffe] some minutes after not playing on Saturday."

Scoring droughts:

"That's something I can go back and watch the film and get back to you on. As a coach just from a philosophy standpoint, you try to get to the free-throw line, and you try to get some more movement in your offense. But you gotta make shots, too. If shots don't go in, we got some good looks we didn't make. It's hard to stop a scoring drought when you miss open shots. It's nothing really else you can do other than get good shots and challenge the guys that are out there to make them. Other than that, you try to get to the free-throw line. Obviously, field-goal droughts means we did maybe get to the free-throw line a few times, but that may be something we need to look at doing a little bit more. We've been pretty good in that area. I think we lead the league in free-throw rate in league play. So, it's obviously something we've made an emphasis for our team because we haven't shot the ball consistently well from the 3-point line."

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
We are missing that player that when you start to break down, he slows it down and brings everyone back in to the flow of the offense and defense. (Leader). Had hoped it would be Ice and he has shown some of those instincts but taking him out of setting the offense has not been a good move at all and has been reflected in the diminishment of his play.
Jason Skaer?
Just kidding. Loved that kid. Decided to look him up and here’s an interview with him 9 years ago.
https://pistolsfiringblog.com/where-are-they-now-jason-skaer/

Sep 23, 2010

There are some good points here about two different offenses. It's why I cringe when Fran says Cade needs to "take over" in the first half. In the first half of games, we often play with more flow (not every game obviously). But when Cade becomes ball dominant, there is a lot more standing around. And Cade doesn't operate quickly. He's methodical and sometimes has to force a round peg in a square hole approach. It's why his turnovers are so high. A little more flow on offense would be great.

Big problem I see on offense right now is ICE though in the half court. His man is in constant help. AA or Cade drive in there and there is ICE's man. We kick it out to him wide open and he just holds it. Before he would at least attack a close out. With this recent injury, haven't seen that as much. It felt like tonight he was bit more active. It's unfortunate. AA at least makes his defender be honest on the 3pt attempt.

Kalib struggles with big physical bigs. He can't guard them. West Virginia big, TCU big, Kansas big. It's puts us in a bad spot.

I like having a guy who can make a 3 in Flavors, but he needs to be relegated to catch in shoot. Last night, he tried to bounce it into a step back NBA 3. Walker needs to keep coming along but he has turnover tendencies, and we have plenty of those with Cade, AA and Ice already. Williams, I like, but again, very inconsistent. Real problem lately is ICE hasn't been that second consistent guy we could always count on. Before, Ice and Cade would be our guys, and 2 others would step up.

Oct 7, 2012

This is exactly why I’m starting to give up on the notion that MB is “the guy”

Last edited: