Cowboy Basketball (9-4, 3-4): With Cade and Walker out, Baylor Defeats the Pokes. Next up ISU on MONDAY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Each game when that has even started to happen I start screaming at the TV- “ok, Coach call a TO here to stop this before it becomes a run” and he never does. Why can I see that and he just sits there until it’s too late ?
Exactly. It's on BOTH ends. In every game we only score 1 or zero points for 5 minutes and the opponent scores 15-20, and its game over.

Yesterday it may not have mattered but he's got to do something besides watching. We got outscored 33-16 in the final 12 minutes.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Exactly. It's on BOTH ends. In every game we only score 1 or zero points for 5 minutes and the opponent scores 15-20, and its game over.

Yesterday it may not have mattered but he's got to do something besides watching. We got outscored 33-16 in the final 12 minutes.
Coming out of the Kansas game we had given up a total of 67 to 2 and runs in our three losses and that win. Yesterday they went on a 19 to 1 run. Thats 86-3!!!!!!

The simple fact is the other coaches are making adjustments. You cannot consistently give up 20 to nothing runs and tell me it’s just the five players on the floor. He makes zero adjustments to counter what everybody else is trying to do to his squad.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Kyle Boone, now at CBS News, put Baylor in the 'Winner' column whilst putting OSU in the 'loser' column. I'd post a link, but I was banned (and STILL AM) two-years ago from the recruiting forum for posting a link to another website, so I will refrain from doing so here. Well, moreso Baylor's one-man 3-point maker that destroyed our lead and gave Baylor a huge lead within a few blinks, but still.

@Casper: Come on.. I think a two-year ban is ridiculous. When, if ever, am I going to be unbanned for doing something I've seen countless times since then (posting a link to a different website) in the recruiting forum? It's kinda ridiculous, man. No, it is ridiculous. I've asked nicely countless times. I will now add this to every post I make from now on.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Coming out of the Kansas game we had given up a total of 67 to 2 and runs in our three losses and that win. Yesterday they went on a 19 to 1 run. Thats 86-3!!!!!!

The simple fact is the other coaches are making adjustments. You cannot consistently give up 20 to nothing runs and tell me it’s just the five players on the floor. He makes zero adjustments to counter what everybody else is trying to do to his squad.
You can’t make adjustments when you don’t have a roster to maneuver within. 8 man rotation against what’s looking like one of the better regular season college basketball teams in recent history. COVID beat us, it’s gonna happen in a year like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
Kyle Boone, now at CBS News, put Baylor in the 'Winner' column whilst putting OSU in the 'loser' column. I'd post a link, but I was banned (and STILL AM) two-years ago from the recruiting forum for posting a link to another website, so I will refrain from doing so here. Well, moreso Baylor's one-man 3-point maker that destroyed our lead and gave Baylor a huge lead within a few blinks, but still.

@Casper: Come on.. I think a two-year ban is ridiculous. When, if ever, am I going to be unbanned for doing something I've seen countless times since then (posting a link to a different website) in the recruiting forum? It's kinda ridiculous, man. No, it is ridiculous. I've asked nicely countless times. I will now add this to every post I make from now on.
Free CowboyOrange82!

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
You can’t make adjustments when you don’t have a roster to maneuver within. 8 man rotation against what’s looking like one of the better regular season college basketball teams in recent history. COVID beat us, it’s gonna happen in a year like this.

So we’re we covid limited against TCU the last two minutes? 18-0 run against Texas? 20-0 run against WVU? 20-2 run against Kansas?

It’s not a fluke or bad luck when it happens every game. Either he’s stubborn or his staff really sucks at being assistants and helping him make adjustments. Maybe both, who knows.

That said, I expected way worse yesterday all things considered. No practice, reduced player options, number 2 in America. Odds were not good.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

So we’re we covid limited against TCU the last two minutes? 18-0 run against Texas? 20-0 run against WVU? 20-2 run against Kansas?

It’s not a fluke or bad luck when it happens every game. Either he’s stubborn or his staff really sucks at being assistants and helping him make adjustments. Maybe both, who knows.

That said, I expected way worse yesterday all things considered. No practice, reduced player options, number 2 in America. Odds were not good.
Ofc it’s not a fluke but I don’t think your accurately diagnosing what’s going wrong. Yesterday was the first day he didn’t make adjustments because he literally couldn’t. Other than that, saying “coach doesn’t make adjustments” is an overplayed cliche. He DID make adjustments in all those other games. In fact the adjustments might be what lost some of those games. Against WVU he went deep into the bench which triggered a run. Against TCU he went too small and the center threw it down Ice’s head. Against KU we went Cade at the 5 for the first 6 minutes of the second half. All of those are Coach B actively coaching, it just didn’t work.

I think what’s actually interesting instead of cliche, is did Coach B find something against Baylor? The 2 big line up was pretty incredible, and the bigs aren’t what fell apart in the late game (which I’d expect foul trouble since we’re playing multiple bigs the whole time) it was the backcourt’s exhaustion. Is going Ice-Bryce-Cade-MAM-Kalib the way forward? Subbing Avery out for MAM isn’t us losing a shooter and Kouma showing that he’s got what it takes to give us good minutes at the 5 should give us some assurances we can go to the 2 big lineup.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Does Sutton have any input? He has coached a couple games before.
Hinson also...no way those 2 aren't suggesting things. MB just stands there and stares and then blames it on the players after the game. Never takes anybody out for taking bad shots, so they keep doing it and its ok if you have to use 2 timeouts close to each other to make some adjustments, but no just keep letting the other team do what they are doing. Ridiculous, but hey he is a nice guy.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Ofc it’s not a fluke but I don’t think your accurately diagnosing what’s going wrong. Yesterday was the first day he didn’t make adjustments because he literally couldn’t. Other than that, saying “coach doesn’t make adjustments” is an overplayed cliche. He DID make adjustments in all those other games. In fact the adjustments might be what lost some of those games. Against WVU he went deep into the bench which triggered a run. Against TCU he went too small and the center threw it down Ice’s head. Against KU we went Cade at the 5 for the first 6 minutes of the second half. All of those are Coach B actively coaching, it just didn’t work.

I think what’s actually interesting instead of cliche, is did Coach B find something against Baylor? The 2 big line up was pretty incredible, and the bigs aren’t what fell apart in the late game (which I’d expect foul trouble since we’re playing multiple bigs the whole time) it was the backcourt’s exhaustion. Is going Ice-Bryce-Cade-MAM-Kalib the way forward? Subbing Avery out for MAM isn’t us losing a shooter and Kouma showing that he’s got what it takes to give us good minutes at the 5 should give us some assurances we can go to the 2 big lineup.

This team is so close to being exactly what we all want. He put it together. He coaches them to be damn good for 30 minutes and then every game we have a 10 minute span where either we forget how to play or he forgets how to coach or suddenly the other team becomes the Dream team and only needs 10 minutes to beat us.

Like I said, I actually expected much worse and was not upset about the outcome all things considered. I can’t give him a pass on continued double digit runs whether it’s the absense of adjustments or overthinking them and making too many. Either way it’s a bad outcome for us and the buck stops with him.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
This team is so close to being exactly what we all want. He put it together. He coaches them to be damn good for 30 minutes and then every game we have a 10 minute span where either we forget how to play or he forgets how to coach or suddenly the other team becomes the Dream team and only needs 10 minutes to beat us.

Like I said, I actually expected much worse and was not upset about the outcome all things considered. I can’t give him a pass on continued double digit runs whether it’s the absense of adjustments or overthinking them and making too many. Either way it’s a bad outcome for us and the buck stops with him.
Considering the expectations going into the season I have been beyond impressed with this team. People seem to forget the caliber of players and coaches in this league. The fact that we can go toe to toe with Kansas and Baylor and seem like we belong with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores is really encouraging. You can look at the development of Ice and AA to tell this guy understands basketball. Did people realistically expect him to outcoach Self, Huggins, Kruger, and Drew every second of every game? Those guys have way more experience than him. He is close though, IMO. Have to build a huge lead before you can blow it.