Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. We have been in a multi-year trend of really high strikeouts at the plate and in my opinion alot of them in poor at bats. If we see improvements in that area I could see us really make some noise.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
I’m not really looking for an argument on here, but I think some of you have been saying the same things since 2013 and it’s just a habit for you rather than really looking into what’s going on.

2019 was the highest OPS of a Cowboy team in the bbcor era. Until 2021…..

2021 was the highest OPS a Cowboy team has had in the bbcor era, and it’s not even close. The numbers put up by Encarnación-Strand and Thompson were extremely impressive. The team was 10th in the country in walks before regional play. 22nd in home runs, and 17th in scoring. 14th in HBP. That’s a pretty good mix right there and shows that last years team was a good offensive team. Were there some poor AB’s in key situations last year? Sure. But the numbers don’t jive with what some on here are saying.

Fielding was a weakness last year. We finished 69th in fielding percentage.

But the kicker was the pitching , which of course took a hit with injuries (no excuse, we have recruited talented depth). This stuff is mind boggling. We finished 8th in the country in strikeouts per 9 innings, great. Now get this. We finished 111th in the country in strikeout to walk ratio. That’s insane. We finished 110th in WHIP, again insanely bad. We finished 59th in ERA, pretty hard to believe that wasn’t worse considering the other numbers. We finished 8th in the country in shutouts. Thank you Justin Campbell.

Dec 11, 2011
I’m not really looking for an argument on here, but I think some of you have been saying the same things since 2013 and it’s just a habit for you rather than really looking into what’s going on.

2021 was the highest OPS a Cowboy team has had in the bbcor era, and it’s not even close. The numbers put up by Encarnación-Strand and Thompson were extremely impressive. The team was 10th in the country in walks before regional play. 22nd in home runs, and 17th in scoring. 14th in HBP. That’s a pretty good mix right there and shows that last years team was a good offensive team. Were there some poor AB’s in key situations last year? Sure. But the numbers don’t jive with what some on here are saying.

But the kicker was the pitching , which of course took a hit with injuries (no excuse, we have recruited talented depth). This stuff is mind boggling. We finished 8th in the country in strikeouts per 9 innings, great. Now get this. We finished 111th in the country in strikeout to walk ratio. That’s insane. We finished 110th in WHIP, again insanely bad. We finished 59th in ERA, pretty hard to believe that wasn’t worse considering the other numbers. We finished 8th in the country in shutouts. Thank you Justin Campbell.
That's good info.
My limited info takeaway from last year seemed like 2 things were killers.
Walks & performance with RISP. Just horrible timely execution with both.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
That's good info.
My limited info takeaway from last year seemed like 2 things were killers.
Walks & performance with RISP. Just horrible timely execution with both.
I agree that we missed some opportunities in key games, but teams that perform poorly with RISP don’t finish 17th in the country in scoring. We were not an elite offensive team, but we were a good offensive team.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009

So I think this plays to my “what changed” question that could lead us to a 7 ranking and potential favorite to get to Omaha.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater

Well said, they had arms, very good arms, sadly they didn't use those good arms or redshirted arms that never had arm issues, had 4 amazing pitches, threw 93-96mph, lefthanded but was 5'11 and didn't fit the persona of that big man. He now transferred and is doing amazing and projected top 4 rounds, riddle me that.

I am optimistic for this year, good arms, good players, overall. 2019 was a team of Scrappy players that was one out away from world series, the coach made a catastrophic decision to put in the wrong pitcher to lose it, I was there through that agony

#gopokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
So I think this plays to my “what changed” question that could lead us to a 7 ranking and potential favorite to get to Omaha.
Another poster answered this question just as well as I can.

In my opinion ranking us in the preseason anywhere 10-20 is pretty fair. But we all know preseason rankings in college baseball don’t mean jack at all.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Well said, they had arms, very good arms, sadly they didn't use those good arms or redshirted arms that never had arm issues, had 4 amazing pitches, threw 93-96mph, lefthanded but was 5'11 and didn't fit the persona of that big man. He now transferred and is doing amazing and projected top 4 rounds, riddle me that.

I am optimistic for this year, good arms, good players, overall. 2019 was a team of Scrappy players that was one out away from world series, the coach made a catastrophic decision to put in the wrong pitcher to lose it, I was there through that agony

#gopokes

Look, we get it, you had a personal connection with someone on the team (I know who you’re talking about but I won’t use a name). That player decided to transfer because of lack of playing time. You’re still upset about it. Let it go. Pretty sure the player has.

And, you keep referencing that the coaches wouldn’t play him because of lack of size. But then you claim we put in the wrong pitcher in the 2019 super regional. Ben Leeper is a small guy too. Can’t have the argument both ways here. Yet we made a terrible mistake going to him? You do realize what he just did in minor league ball right? Sometimes the better team wins and that’s what happened in 2019. Tech was the better team by the slimmest of margins.

I’ll ask a question. This player that throws 93-96 with 4 amazing pitches who’s slated to go top 4 rounds, what baseball powerhouse scooped him up?

You’re reminding me of why I don’t post on here often.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Look, we get it, you had a personal connection with someone on the team (I know who you’re talking about but I won’t use a name). That player decided to transfer because of lack of playing time. You’re still upset about it. Let it go. Pretty sure the player has.

And, you keep referencing that the coaches wouldn’t play him because of lack of size. But then you claim we put in the wrong pitcher in the 2019 super regional. Ben Leeper is a small guy too. Can’t have the argument both ways here. Yet we made a terrible mistake going to him? You do realize what he just did in minor league ball right? Sometimes the better team wins and that’s what happened in 2019. Tech was the better team by the slimmest of margins.

I’ll ask a question. This player that throws 93-96 with 4 amazing pitches who’s slated to go top 4 rounds, what baseball powerhouse scooped him up?

You’re reminding me of why I don’t post on here often.
Ptak. Please keep posting. I love reading your insights.

Apr 7, 2006

Good analysis of it. I'm not saying we were bad offensively but the last few years we've been a regional/supers team and to get to the point of a national seed and/or CWS I think we just have to be a little better.

Seems like of the 3 phases hitting has been the weakness when you compare us to national seeds during the last 5 seasons. What do you think?

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Another poster answered this question just as well as I can.

In my opinion ranking us in the preseason anywhere 10-20 is pretty fair. But we all know preseason rankings in college baseball don’t mean jack at all.
I've never really look much at baseball rankings at ANY point in the season. I don't even know if I'd change anything about the regional, super-regional, CWS format. Other than some head scratching pairings by the committee, it's still a good system.

There is an interesting scheduling tweak to the CWS format this year if you haven't seen it. They are going back to an older format that starts the Best of 3 Finals on the second Saturday. Recently the second weekend has been a dead weekend (unless makeup games) and the Championship games were played Mon-Wed.

This allows you to get up to Omaha on the first Friday and watch non-stop games through that weekend, the following week and into the Championship on the 2nd Saturday. All this on 1 week of vacation! If your team is playing game 3 on Monday... well, use a sick day.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston

#gopokes

I would also like to know what year this player was here?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Good analysis of it. I'm not saying we were bad offensively but the last few years we've been a regional/supers team and to get to the point of a national seed and/or CWS I think we just have to be a little better.

Seems like of the 3 phases hitting has been the weakness when you compare us to national seeds during the last 5 seasons. What do you think?
The pitching was definitely our biggest weakness in 2017, 2018, and 2021. The 2019 club was pretty well rounded and just barely came up short. They were also the victims of just bad seeding that year. Tech was better than an 8 seed and we should’ve been a national seed after winning the Big 12 Tournament. Just my opinion though.