Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 18, 2021
Austin, TX
Don't know if anyone sawthis but we are No. 7 in Baseball News' preseason rankings.

These rankings seem pretty bad to me upon initial sniff test. They also have Texas at No. 1, Tech at No. 4, TCU at No. 13, and Ou at No. 45. Put Miss St at 9, Ole Miss at 19 (who have brought back every bat in their lineup), and Arky at 20.
Right after I post this, I saw another ranking that has us at No. 14. They have Miss St at 2, Texas at 3, Tech at 5, Arky at 6, TCU at 7, and Ole Miss at 8. Much more reasonable in my opinion.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
I thought this has been known for a while, that is the reason we went and got Chase Adkinson from the Juco ranks.
sadly left on various internal reasons, we lost more than two great players, I know some others landed in great spots possible weekend starters and great draft prospects, but all depends on how 2022 season goes. pretty much this season was a purge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I thought this has been known for a while, that is the reason we went and got Chase Adkinson from the Juco ranks.
sadly left on various internal reasons, we lost more than two great players, I know some others landed in great spots possible weekend starters and great draft prospects, but all depends on how 2022 season goes. pretty much this season was a purge

Wut?

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I think that Brock considered giving up baseball after last spring (not sure what internal reasons means)but, regardless, I do not believe that he went to school anywhere in the fall semester. Happy that he has decided to go back to school and Florida State is a good landing spot. OSU has two very good catchers who I think will be better both offensively (not in terms of power) and defensively.

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

Why was this season a purge? Thought we had a ton of talent and just didn't live up to expectations?

May 22, 2019
Altus, OK
Time for some more baseball talk. Just around the corner. Can't wait to see how we play the spring. Someone give me a projected starting lineup. By position and who will be the three weekend starters on the bump!!!! Will Martin be the closer???

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Will a new thread be started for this year as this is mostly information from last year? Does MattBob still post on this site as he was very knowledgeable, but he is probably an Attorney now since he was still a student when he used to post back some ten or more years ago. The other sites do not seem to follow OSU baseball as much as this site. I was lucky to get better seats with my upgrade this year and plan on making all the home games and going to the Big 12 Conference Championship in Arlington and to Regionals. We are projected to be much better this year so hopefully we get a regional and super regional.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Ok, I'll go.

CF - Trenkle, I think he's got it nailed down pretty much

The rest of the OF - a rotating door of Lyle Miller-Green, Jake Thompson (I think he'll see a lot of time at DH), John Bay, Garrett Martin, Jaxson Crull, Roc Riggio, Zach Ehrhard until 2 guys separate themselves.

Corner infield is probably set - Nolan McLean at 3rd and Griffin Doersching at 1st.

Middle Infield will be a rotating door of Morrill, Brown, Riggio, Benge, Ehrhard, and Garrett Martin until 2 separate themselves.

Catcher - Chase Adkison, with Ian Daugherty and David Mendham competing for time as 2nd string catcher.

Starting Rotation options - Justin Campbell, Victor Mederos, Bryce Osmond, Kale Davis, Dillon Marsh, Mitchell Stone, and Trevor Martin (even though I think Martin will be our closer).

Key Bullpen pieces - Trevor Martin, Kale Davis, Dillon Marsh, Roman Phansalkar, Morrill, McLean, Bayden Root, Colton Bowman.

Other Bullpen pieces that could be a factor - Ure, Blake, Bogusz, Washington, Bookout.

I think if everything goes to plan, you're looking at a rotation of Campbell, Mederos, & Osmond, but if someone falters Dillon Marsh could be really hard to keep out of the rotation. His fall numbers were silly.

In the field, it's hard to predict how things will settle outside of catcher and CF, with Morrill and McLean possibly being big bullpen pieces and the versatility and talent of both Riggio and Ehrhard. Both of those freshmen could be moved around a lot and used as swiss army knives, but look for both to contribute a whole lot. And, Marcus Brown will be out there, period, just depends on where. Lots of potential depth and options. Should be a very interesting early season as the coaches try to figure out lineups and rotations.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Someone in the know:

Who did we add to offset what we lost to justify a ranking as high as 7, low as 25, aggregate of 14?

Weren’t really competitive in regional. Had multiple games against Texas, Tech and TCU that easily could have gone either way. Decent showing in 2/3 with Vandy.

Talent was there but a lot of posts on plate discipline and poor offensive approach. Maybe even more posts on blown arms late in the year and poor staff management.

Previous post had very similar names in the pitching rotation with the reduction of two weekend starters.

What has changed that a team that entered unranked last year and didn’t really close all that well would be as high as 7 this year? I hope they’re right but I need the info.

We’ll learn a lot in Feb again with the trip to Nashville.

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
What has changed? Really strong recruiting class, especially with the bats. Really strong transfer class, especially on the mound. And some of our returners in the field and on the mound, had excellent summers followed up by very good fall performances. Add to that two pre-season AAs in Campbell and McClean and more very high draft projection players in Mederos and Miller-Green, and that is likely why OSU is ranked so highly IMO.

Dec 21, 2008
To me it seems we had a lot of 1 2 & 3 tool players at best.

The rare player that excels at all five of the major physical tools
(Speed, Throwing, Fielding, Hitting for Average, and Hitting for Power).

Guys like McCusker (maybe 1 tool-HFP)
Cabbi (maybe 2-3 tools- Speed for his size, arm, HFP at times)
Morrill (maybe 2 tools- arm and defense)
Brock (1 tool- HFP at times)
Alix Garcia (2 tools- HFP at times, fielding)
Hewitt (3 tools- HFA, fielding, speed)

To me guys like Trenkle, Crull and several of the new talented additions could become 3-4 tool players. Batting avg is what has killed us. Flailing at 0-2 pitches 3' outside the zone with runners on kills momentum, disrupts pitchers' rest between innings and creates a mental lull in a tough game. We need the scrappy put the ball in play and see what happens guys.

Wish we could get some behind the scenes looks of the locker room interactions, batting cages, bullpen sessions and some Q&As with the new guys!