Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
When I was paying for tickets, girl on the phone said upgrades would be Dec. 14th. I don't know if that was for me or everyone. I'm pretty low on the pole, so who knows.
I called today and upgrading will be in December. I may upgrade to Club level and they are $2300 per seat. The way the seating arrangement is it seems Club level are best in house. I have seats on row two and they seem to close and seems everyone is always arguing pitches with the ump. Apparently all season tickets are sold out and they are selling season tickets for GA section now so most likely there will be limited upgrading of seats since they are projected to go to Omaha this year.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021
Oklahoma, OK
Anyone make it out this weekend, seeing if there is any updated thoughts being as fall ball is almost over?

My thoughts having seen them scrimmage several times. As it stands at this point a lineup could be something like this.......

Trenkle CF
Brown SS
McClean 3B
Doersching 1B
Bay RF
Thompson LF
Mendham DH (RHP), # of players (LHP)
Adkison C
Morrill 2B

1) Trenkle. Good CF, need him to produce at the top of the lineup.
2) Brown has primarily played SS this fall other than fill-in times at 2B. Seems like coaches are looking at him to take SS over. I think this is due to Morrill's known struggles at the plate, Brown is going to be in the lineup because of his bat, and him playing SS opens up a opportunity for several players to step up and take over 2B. This really for me is the only question mark positionally closing out the fall. Morrill has hit the ball well this fall and if his offensive production can be productive he may take SS back over or compete for 2B based on that production. Defensively a good college middle infielder. Yes, there is Roc, etc. but I think it could go this way at the start of spring.
3) McClean/Doersching seem to have solidified their spots. Potential to be good run producers. We know McClean's potential, Doersching a good addition.
4) Bay has had a great fall. Great power. Solid in right. Think he has shown a little more than the other corner OF candidates.
5) Thompson if can stay healthy fits in LF the best. Would like to see him have enough production to move up in the lineup to counter balance RH/LH.
6) Slew of DH candidates based on matchups. Mendham, Martin, Miller-Green, Brown, etc.
7) Adkison has shown his experience. Good receiver.
8) I go with Morrill at this point based on experience and what I've seen. Yes, things can change based on production.

Pitching

Still am thinking .....

1) Campbell
2) Mederos
3) Marsh

Osmond, Stone, and Ramsey are there as well for starts based on production. Plenty of quality mid-week starters which can help us to have success against many quality opponents (DBU, ORU, etc) we often have on the schedule midweek that can raise our RPI for postseason rankings.

Phansalker (increased velocity but some struggles with getting outs this fall it seems), Ramsey, Bowman vs RH, Cochran, and Davis (I assume many innings coming his way especially in close/important situations) seem to be the cog of our bullpen. Blake has had a quality fall out of SHS. Martin needs to just own the backend of the bullpen much like Standlee did recently.

Opening at Vandy gives us a good glimpse at the potential. Season ticket sales seem high. Could be a good year.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
Jake Thompson is in my opinion the best returning bat we have. Jake will be in the 3 hole. I do agree some of the returners get the first look, but by the time the Pokes get to big 12 play, the lineup may change a bunch. The power on this team is a strength, but leading the country in strike outs isn’t a winning formula.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Jake Thompson is in my opinion the best returning bat we have. Jake will be in the 3 hole. I do agree some of the returners get the first look, but by the time the Pokes get to big 12 play, the lineup may change a bunch. The power on this team is a strength, but leading the country in strike outs isn’t a winning formula.
I agree at Jake in the 3-hole, but as the DH. I think we have better options to strengthen the OF defense, speed and add another good hitter. Jackson Crull is who immediately comes to mind.

Jun 24, 2021
Oklahoma, OK
Has Kale Davis thrown much this fall? Also what about McClean on the mound?
Yes, Kale Davis has thrown every weekend I've went to a scrimmage. Probably thrown as much as anyone I've seen this fall. He has thrown fairly well this fall. Tons of experience. I think he's been around 93 consistently. Changed speeds fairly well.

McClean I've seen once on the mound this fall. Hard thrower. Maybe a closer spot here and there. I'm not sure he will make many appearances.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
I agree at Jake in the 3-hole, but as the DH. I think we have better options to strengthen the OF defense, speed and add another good hitter. Jackson Crull is who immediately comes to mind.
I think if Trenkle doesn’t hit early on I could see Crull getting an opportunity. Trenkle has ton of potential and playing in the Cape last summer should give him confidence. In a short sample size Crull gave the Pokes a spark before suffering injury.

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I have seen most of the scrimmages and would agree with most of Cowboy5787 projections. As for offense, Morrill has come alive with the bat the last two weeks. He is the best shortstop on the team. Agree they are grooming Brown and I can see the two of them interchangeable at SS and 2b. The wildcard is Riggio. I’m sure the coaches have had him penciled in the lineup at 2b but he has missed half the fall due to shoulder issue. 1st and 3b are set IMO. As is left and center. Catcher is in great hands with Adkison, who I think starts most games, but Daugherty will get time too. Right field and DH are battles yet to be decided between about 4 guys . Mendham is a good LH DH bet. Several freshman hitters will get opps if the transfers and veterans fail.
on the mound, I think Campbell, Mederos, Marsh, Osmond and Stone are starting candidates. Davis (93) is a starter or long reliever. Phansalkar(96) looks like the set up guy and Martin (98) most definitely the closer. Ramsey, Root, Bowman, Boguz and others are all viable candidates for meaningful time on the mound. Don’t see freshman pitchers making huge impacts this year, but that could change. Uhre looks like a future weekend guy.

Jun 24, 2021
Oklahoma, OK
I can't argue one bit with your opinion on Thompson. Great hitter, consistent, came through in the clutch many times last year, and many more. I was simply looking at it from the perspective of getting maximum potential out of McClean this year. McClean struggled with the strike out last year, but what a great problem to have if both have good years.

Jun 24, 2021
Oklahoma, OK
I think if Trenkle doesn’t hit early on I could see Crull getting an opportunity. Trenkle has ton of potential and playing in the Cape last summer should give him confidence. In a short sample size Crull gave the Pokes a spark before suffering injury.
I agree completely on Trenkle and Crull. Crull could be late inning defensive sub if needed if not in the lineup. Saw him working in RF quite a bit this weekend.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
I can't argue one bit with your opinion on Thompson. Great hitter, consistent, came through in the clutch many times last year, and many more. I was simply looking at it from the perspective of getting maximum potential out of McClean this year. McClean struggled with the strike out last year, but what a great problem to have if both have good years.
McClean has a huge upside, but too much swing and miss to hit in the 3 hole as you alluded to above. If he cuts down on the strikeouts maybe he fits into 3 hole. Riggio gets healthy and he’ll be in the line up.

The Poke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
My thoughts having seen them scrimmage several times. As it stands at this point a lineup could be something like this.......

Trenkle CF
Brown SS
McClean 3B
Doersching 1B
Bay RF
Thompson LF
Mendham DH (RHP), # of players (LHP)
Adkison C
Morrill 2B

1) Trenkle. Good CF, need him to produce at the top of the lineup.
2) Brown has primarily played SS this fall other than fill-in times at 2B. Seems like coaches are looking at him to take SS over. I think this is due to Morrill's known struggles at the plate, Brown is going to be in the lineup because of his bat, and him playing SS opens up a opportunity for several players to step up and take over 2B. This really for me is the only question mark positionally closing out the fall. Morrill has hit the ball well this fall and if his offensive production can be productive he may take SS back over or compete for 2B based on that production. Defensively a good college middle infielder. Yes, there is Roc, etc. but I think it could go this way at the start of spring.
3) McClean/Doersching seem to have solidified their spots. Potential to be good run producers. We know McClean's potential, Doersching a good addition.
4) Bay has had a great fall. Great power. Solid in right. Think he has shown a little more than the other corner OF candidates.
5) Thompson if can stay healthy fits in LF the best. Would like to see him have enough production to move up in the lineup to counter balance RH/LH.
6) Slew of DH candidates based on matchups. Mendham, Martin, Miller-Green, Brown, etc.
7) Adkison has shown his experience. Good receiver.
8) I go with Morrill at this point based on experience and what I've seen. Yes, things can change based on production.

Pitching

Still am thinking .....

1) Campbell
2) Mederos
3) Marsh

Osmond, Stone, and Ramsey are there as well for starts based on production. Plenty of quality mid-week starters which can help us to have success against many quality opponents (DBU, ORU, etc) we often have on the schedule midweek that can raise our RPI for postseason rankings.

Phansalker (increased velocity but some struggles with getting outs this fall it seems), Ramsey, Bowman vs RH, Cochran, and Davis (I assume many innings coming his way especially in close/important situations) seem to be the cog of our bullpen. Blake has had a quality fall out of SHS. Martin needs to just own the backend of the bullpen much like Standlee did recently.

Opening at Vandy gives us a good glimpse at the potential. Season ticket sales seem high. Could be a good year.
Great write up, @Cowboy5787.
I thought I saw somewhere that Phansalker saw some huge improvement during the summer leagues. Was hoping to see that translate back here as well. Hopefully he comes out strong in the Spring.

Edit: This is what I saw on Twitter from Aaron Fitt.

"Pitching coach Rob Walton told me Roman Phansalker has made the biggest jump on
@OSUBaseball staff - I'm seeing it for myself. Ditched his 4-seamer in favor of a turbo 2-sinker at 94-96 (mostly 96) with crazy arm-side run, up to 22 inches horizontal break. Diving CH, hard SL too."

Jun 24, 2021
Oklahoma, OK
Great write up, @Cowboy5787.
I thought I saw somewhere that Phansalker saw some huge improvement during the summer leagues. Was hoping to see that translate back here as well. Hopefully he comes out strong in the Spring.

Edit: This is what I saw on Twitter from Aaron Fitt.

"Pitching coach Rob Walton told me Roman Phansalker has made the biggest jump on
@OSUBaseball staff - I'm seeing it for myself. Ditched his 4-seamer in favor of a turbo 2-sinker at 94-96 (mostly 96) with crazy arm-side run, up to 22 inches horizontal break. Diving CH, hard SL too."
You're definitely correct. His stuff is noticibly better, especially velocity. Would love to see him be effective to come along side Davis in those key relief spots this year. Davis seemed to be the workhorse out of the pen in the middle innings in key situations .... it'd be great for Phansalker to share that burden this year or set up for Martin as someone had suggested as well.