Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Death, Taxes, another transfer from Kentucky. LHP that has 2 years left. He had a 4.34 ERA and 30/5 K/BB in 29 innings pitched this past season

https://twitter.com/dillon_marsh22/status/1408600017586339840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
Another freshman in the portal

https://twitter.com/bhris_cecker316/status/1409992190441492487?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
What suck I know couple of the kids and they are really good, just not Holliday profile. I know they will do amazing in their next venture. Sadly, they were ignored talent and great kids, isn’t that typically a recipe for success?

I don’t get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
What suck I know couple of the kids and they are really good, just not Holliday profile. I know they will do amazing in their next venture. Sadly, they were ignored talent and great kids, isn’t that typically a recipe for success?

I don’t get it

I’ve heard that phrase “Holliday kid” thrown around!! Are we talking about physical stature?

May 1, 2021
Stillwater

I don’t get it

I’ve heard that phrase “Holliday kid” thrown around!! Are we talking about physical stature?
Yep

Aug 19, 2006
Yep

I just don't get the fixation on recruiting big, tall guys. That's never been the classic profile of highly successful baseball players. Our best hitters this year were Jake Thompson, 6' 210lbs and Encarnacion-Strand was 6" 220lbs. Donnie Walton was 5'10'' 175lbs. Robin Ventura was 6'1" 185 lbs.

We had a lot of good athletes on the team this year but not a lot of great baseball players. At least not at the level this program has had in the past. I just don't understand Holliday's recruiting strategy these days.

Vanderbilt's team isn't loaded with size. They have a bunch of highly-skilled multi-tool guys. And they're playing tonight for back-to-back natty's. Seems like that's a pretty good model of success.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have a couple of MLB caliber starters on the mound too!

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
Yep

I just don't get the fixation on recruiting big, tall guys. That's never been the classic profile of highly successful baseball players. Our best hitters this year were Jake Thompson, 6' 210lbs and Encarnacion-Strand was 6" 220lbs. Donnie Walton was 5'10'' 175lbs. Robin Ventura was 6'1" 185 lbs.

We had a lot of good athletes on the team this year but not a lot of great baseball players. At least not at the level this program has had in the past. I just don't understand Holliday's recruiting strategy these days.

Vanderbilt's team isn't loaded with size. They have a bunch of highly-skilled multi-tool guys. And they're playing tonight for back-to-back natty's. Seems like that's a pretty good model of success.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have a couple of MLB caliber starters on the mound too!
Exactly, this big guy profile has always been the profile of coaches on mlb and top colleges respectively, but good ole Osu gets sliced and diced by the uc Santa’s Clara lefty that was 5ft 11. Why did he own Osu? He hit his spots and out pitched our hitters. We have that in Parker and we had that in the transfers we let go.

The typical big guy is what is hollidays MO. Look at the people he has and the most recent pick up, huge but had a 7+ era and horrible control. He’s big and that’s all that matters.

The ones in transfer porter are smaller but have more control (actually more control if they are on a non Osu team), higher spin rate, and more mlb style pitches. Aka can throw 4+ mlb quality pitches. That’s a pitcher and sadly these pitchers make the mid major teams, their first impressions get overlooked.

Look at leeper, at Osu he was horrible, not tall in stature and has a 7+ era overall. Leaves Osu and is now one of the top prospects on the cub organization, weird, I wonder why.

This is one of the reasons why baseball has been on the downhill due to we believe in guys with launch angle home run swings that produces more home runs, yet at the expense of strikeouts and quality baseball or the pitcher that throws hard but at the expense of control or quality arm care. The tall guy has higher injury rates, but provide a faster ROI as they have a profile they can throw harder and have leverage yet I see most get tattooed due to lower rpm spin rate.

Holliday gets lucky with talent via scholarships and now stadium. imagine if he dipped more into the quality of ball that he can pinpoint non scholarship players that are the players that can bring championships.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Bryce Osmond makes his debut in the Cape....still struggling with command based on the walks

https://twitter.com/ChathamAnglers/status/1410362386339577857?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Saxon
Green
Wheeland
McCurry
Arakawa
Romero
Bevacqua
Walton
Fish
Hassel
Cornell
Rojas
Hatch
McCain
Chappell
Teel
Shaver
JR Davis
Benge
Colin Simpson
Leeper
Cash
Dobbs
Parker Scott
Varela
Hearrean
Taylor
Milligan
Hewitt
Gardner
Miles
Morrill
Navigato
John Kelly
Polcovich
Salinas
Golda
Jake Thompson
Marcus Brown
Encarnacion-Strand
Crull
Trenkle
Wrobleski
Cheney
Bowman
Elliott
Riggio
Ulloa
Collins
Brumbaugh
Errhart

Honestly, Colin Simpson, Carson Teel, and Daniel DeSimone alone completely blow up the insane theories in the last few pages of this thread.

Kids leave looking for more guaranteed playing time all the time, and that's totally fine, it's the nature of the beast now. Especially with the emergence of the transfer portal and being able to transfer and play right away. Peterson got picked up by Illinois-Chicago, Johnson by K-State. If you feel that all of the upper echelon D1 programs are overlooking all of these super talented kids, then whatever, you have a problem with the system, not our coaching staff. It doesn't look like we're losing kids to South Carolina, Texas Tech, or Arizona. These kids are looking for places they can go and start right away. And, if that's what they want, more power to them.

I'm seeing a lot of hand-wringing on Twitter about having 9 in the portal and all of that. Arkansas has 8, Charlotte who just had a historic season by their standards has 18 in the portal, Clemson has 14, Florida has 9, and Florida State has 11. This has nothing to do with our coaching staff mishandling situations, it has everything to do with Covid protocols putting a crazy crunch on the rosters of a sport that's only allowed 11.7 scholarships for 35 roster spots. Right now, there are over 2,000 D1 baseball players in the transfer portal. That is literally insane.

As for this past season, did the team underachieve? Sure, the expectations were not met, and sometimes that happens. Was it a total disaster of a season like some on here want to make it out to be? No, not at all. Louisville, Clemson, Texas A&M, those were disaster seasons. We went 36-19 against a top 10 SOS, finished #16 in the RPI, probably will finish ranked #24 by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, finished in the top half of the Big 12, went 4-2 against our "rival", and went 3-4 against 2 of the final 4 teams remaining in Omaha this season, made another Big 12 Tournament Championship game appearance, and finished the tournament with 1 loss (same as TCU....). Now, is any of this worth hooting and hollerin' over? No, in Stillwater, we expect more. And that's a good thing.

One last point. About the hitting and pitching this season. There have been a few on this thread who have constantly ripped the hitting approach while also stating that the pitching wasn't "that bad." Going into regional play, here were the numbers:

Walks - 10th in the country
Home Runs - 22nd
On Base % - 21st
Runs - 20th
Slugging % - 29th

Looking at these numbers, the approach wasn't too bad. You don't finish top 10 among 300 D1 programs in walks with a "terrible approach." The number I couldn't find was batting average with RISP. That, more than likely, was our biggest downfall this season on the offensive end.

On the flip side, the pitching:

ERA - 59th
K's per 9 innings - 8th
K to BB ratio - 111th
WHIP - 110th

It is amazing how close (even with all of the injuries) we were to having an elite pitching staff. After looking at the WHIP and K-to-BB ratio, I would have thought there was no way to have an ERA in the top 60 in the country. Walks destroyed us this year, plain and simple.

You guys can criticize all you want, but I still believe we have the right coaching staff in Stillwater. We've only had 1 year in the new ballpark, after having 8 years of trying to recruit to the worst facilities in the conference. Our program is very clearly in the 2nd tier of college baseball right now and we're trying to reach that first tier. I believe we'll get there in time. This incoming recruiting class looks very very solid, even if we lose Riggio and Ulloa.