Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 1, 2021
Stillwater
I'm starting to wonder.

It seems like offensively our issue is empty at bats - which has been consistent throughout Holliday's tenure. Nothing Lees coming or going did to change that.

Pitching issues appear to be mismanaging guys and trying to miss bats instead of prioritizing throwing strikes. I get it when Parker Scott, Wrobleski, Standlee and Campbell are on the bump- but when you're rolling Phansalkar out there you better just let your defense win the game instead of trying to nibble the edges and throw sliders in the dirt.
You are spot on with pitching,
Osu has, or had, many power arms in the pen. They were not taught about the art of just pitching strikes. They have a philosophy that doesn’t fit power arms. Look at the amount of walks they had. What’s funny, I watch these kids on summer teams, didn’t get micromanaged, had fun and were studs.

Also, they had some really good arms and extremely accurate at 90-96 range and had amazing plus off speed. What happened to them, redshirt or lost to transfer porter. Why, they didn’t fit the big man persona or wasn’t that intimidating style pitcher.

The staff was very deep, had great arms, it wasn’t managed well at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I was really looking forward to him stepping up to a starting role next year, he very much has all the tools to make an impact.
Several freshman on the team have entered the transfer portal. Not only extremely disappointing but slightly concerning as well. Better hope some of highly ranked signees make it to campus

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Several freshman on the team have entered the transfer portal. Not only extremely disappointing but slightly concerning as well. Better hope some of highly ranked signees make it to campus
I hope so as well, is the draft gonna stay at 5 rounds or will it expand back to its original number? A few of those freshman we got to campus, including Dom and Trevor Martin, came because the draft was cut down by a few rounds this past year with covid.

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
More than any other major college sport, transfers within college baseball are extremely common and I do not think that you can read in "problems within the program" when they happen. You should see the number of transfers out of the Arkansas and TCU programs every year. More often than not, it is a case of a player being told something other than he wants to hear about how/where he likely fits in the coming season. Also, sometimes the player knows he will not be an everyday player and wants to play everyday, even if at a lesser program.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I hope so as well, is the draft gonna stay at 5 rounds or will it expand back to its original number? A few of those freshman we got to campus, including Dom and Trevor Martin, came because the draft was cut down by a few rounds this past year with covid.
The draft is 20 rounds this year.....I don't think we'll see it go back to 40 rounds for awhile. People transferring is common...The problem is what we have returning. Nothing I saw offensively has me inspired this team will be better offensively. Defense is an issue as well, and pitching depth is also a problem. Here's the hoping the players get better in the offseason.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
The draft is 20 rounds this year.....I don't think we'll see it go back to 40 rounds for awhile. People transferring is common...The problem is what we have returning. Nothing I saw offensively has me inspired this team will be better offensively. Defense is an issue as well, and pitching depth is also a problem. Here's the hoping the players get better in the offseason.
I hope it can stay that low at least for a while, you would think that could help the college game a bit. Honestly i feel MLB needs to cut back on how many MiLB teams they have, it almost seems to dilute the talent. I mean is ridding a bus all over the country to get paid shit really a better option than going to a college and getting a degree that you can use in your life after baseball since majority of these dudes don't even sniff the Big Leagues. As i am typing this though my thoughts went to all of the Foreign players i.e. countries of lesser opportunities because baseball may be there only option for them to better their lives, so i would hope there is a happy median.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
I was really looking forward to him stepping up to a starting role next year, he very much has all the tools to make an impact.
This is true, sad, but true, lots in xfer portal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
The perspective to keep especially with freshmen transferring out this year is that they got hosed by circumstances outside their control. When Vilade/Lees talked to them as sophomores and juniors in high school and sold them on OSU, we had open playing time. Lots of playing time especially in the outfield, Cade and Carson were going to be graduated. Then the pandemic hit and those kids returned unexpectedly. So that playing time and opportunity disappeared.

You would hope that the guys on campus would look around and see their time is now, but that’s not the modern reality. The days of a Garrett McCain riding the pine for 2 years then being an All American seem to be over with the transfer portal. Just transfer and play immediately.

I mean I get it, it can be extremely frustrating to be a young college kid and unable to play the game you love, because there’s a veteran in your way. And the portal is a quick easy solution if you think more playing time regardless of situation will improve your future.

There’s no chicken little situation here, just a once in a lifetime fluke to recruiting plans no one could have seen coming and not as much playing time being available as was promised.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The perspective to keep especially with freshmen transferring out this year is that they got hosed by circumstances outside their control. When Vilade/Lees talked to them as sophomores and juniors in high school and sold them on OSU, we had open playing time. Lots of playing time especially in the outfield, Cade and Carson were going to be graduated. Then the pandemic hit and those kids returned unexpectedly. So that playing time and opportunity disappeared.

You would hope that the guys on campus would look around and see their time is now, but that’s not the modern reality. The days of a Garrett McCain riding the pine for 2 years then being an All American seem to be over with the transfer portal. Just transfer and play immediately.

I mean I get it, it can be extremely frustrating to be a young college kid and unable to play the game you love, because there’s a veteran in your way. And the portal is a quick easy solution if you think more playing time regardless of situation will improve your future.

There’s no chicken little situation here, just a once in a lifetime fluke to recruiting plans no one could have seen coming and not as much playing time being available as was promised.
It’s extremely frustrating....different era of young adults. Kids want instant gratification instead of grinding it out. The transfer portal only has enhances. This is the new era of collegiate athletics. As painful as it seems, the days of a Garrett McCain are over and the sad thing is that was only 4 years ago. I truly feel bad for college coaches in all sports. Not only do you have to win games and recruit players to come to your program, you have to recruit extremely hard to keep players from leaving as well.