Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Well, the wheels are turning. Hopefully for the better. Sounds a little ominous though. I know Marty was a strong recruiter. Did he work with a particular position group on the team?
His primary duties included recruiting, infield defense, and coaching how we executed called offensive plays.

VaPoke

Greenhorn
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
Best news I have seen this year and there are reasons to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that his departure sounds promising. It's hard to really know how good some assistant coaches are since accountability falls on the head coach. As far a Marty Lee's, when he had a chance to run the whole show at Washington State as head coach, he had the worst fours years in WSU history (Wins 68 Losses 133) dating back before the 60's. Is this reflective of what brought to the table at OSU?

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I know Pete Incaviglia just signed a 2 year contract to manage an Independent team, but I think he would be a really good option.

I know Marty coached infielders but as long as Robin is still there, we have that covered.

Oct 30, 2007
I wonder how close Robin Ventura is to getting his degree? He would be an awesome replacement for Lees if he's interested in becoming a full time coach.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I wonder how close Robin Ventura is to getting his degree? He would be an awesome replacement for Lees if he's interested in becoming a full time coach.
I can't imagine him wanting to be locked into a paid full time assistant gig.

I have no information whatsoever to think that, but becoming a full time main assistant moves him into a year round, full time commitment position.

I would imagine that he enjoys it, but on his terms.

Josh needs a guy that is going to eat, breathe and sleep baseball year round.

Last edited:

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Robin is a great ambassador for OSU, but I don’t know that he wants to hit the recruiting trail 24/7 like this position usually entails.

If it clears the way for any on staff promotion, I’d think Roland Fanning would be a strong candidate. He’s opened a lot of recruiting doors for us by bringing back his connections related to Kentucky baseball.

Oct 30, 2007
I can't imagine him wanting to be locked into a paid full time assistant gig.

I have no information whatsoever to think that, but becoming a full time main assistant moves him into a year round, full time commitment position.

I would imagine that he enjoys it, but on his terms.

Josh needs a guy that is going to eat, breathe and sleep baseball year round.
I bet you're right. Robin & Matt have both made enough money that they'll never have to work another day in their lives, so they may not want the duties that come with a full time job. You never know though. Robin managed the White Sox for several years after playing, so he may have the itch to be a full time coach.

I'm just glad that they both chose to be a part of the program. There's no doubt that will pay dividends in recruiting. With our coaching staff and facilities, the potential is there to have a very high level of success.

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
Interesting news with the Lees resignation. He was really well thought of and seemed to be a major cog in this staff's success the first few years when Josh returned to Stillwater. I wonder what changed this go around as I know all were excited to get him back a couple years ago.

I'm not sure this will be a "major" shakeup. I wouldn't be surprised if Roland Fanning moved up to a full time, paid assistant coaching position.

Apr 7, 2006
I certainly hope Lees wasn't used as a scapegoat. In the last 2 full seasons Vilade and Lees have both left under pressure so I have to wonder where this is going - given how disappointing this year was.

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
I certainly hope Lees wasn't used as a scapegoat. In the last 2 full seasons Vilade and Lees have both left under pressure so I have to wonder where this is going - given how disappointing this year was.
It does make you wonder as Lees leaves in very similar fashion to how Vilade left 2 years ago. Is Josh tough to work for? Micromanager? Too many cooks in the kitchen? Or maybe absolutely none of the above are true and the second go round for Marty just wasn't a good fit and both sides decided a change was the right move.

May 1, 2021
Stillwater
Vilade was amazing as he was great for the men, I wished he was still there, maybe the common denominator of issues isn’t with the assistant coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
I'm starting to wonder.

It seems like offensively our issue is empty at bats - which has been consistent throughout Holliday's tenure. Nothing Lees coming or going did to change that.

Pitching issues appear to be mismanaging guys and trying to miss bats instead of prioritizing throwing strikes. I get it when Parker Scott, Wrobleski, Standlee and Campbell are on the bump- but when you're rolling Phansalkar out there you better just let your defense win the game instead of trying to nibble the edges and throw sliders in the dirt.

Last edited: