Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
My sister went and said that Jaxon Crull had a good scrimmage with a HR to RF, the juco guy from midland Tyler wulfert looked really good with a 2 run HR and made a great play at 3rd, and that Noah Turley stood out at the plate as well. Didn't say much about the pitching though.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
My sister went and said that Jaxon Crull had a good scrimmage with a HR to RF, the juco guy from midland Tyler wulfert looked really good with a 2 run HR and made a great play at 3rd, and that Noah Turley stood out at the plate as well. Didn't say much about the pitching though.
Well they gave up at least 2 HRs so… :)

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
My guess is pitching and DH.
MLB Orioles we’re drafting him as a pitcher but he did not accept their offer and he was average as a 3rd base and hitter last year either SO or HR. If he pitches full time he would probably go in first five rounds or even first round if he dominates at pitching.
Meola was a better fielder but had injuries and was not a good hitter.

Do we have any superstar freshmen coming in like Roc last year who play 3B?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
https://www.visitstillwater.org/eve...exhibition-vs-texas-rangers-scout-team/27206/
Game on 10-10-22 Monday at 5 pm. Would like to go but Chiefs are playing Raiders on Monday Night in Arrowhead. Seems odd this is scheduled on a Monday Night rather than weekend game.
I would be surprised if this is as advertised. The minors are either finishing up or have just finished up a 150 game season. Clubs have been or will be shutting down players, especially pitchers because of the grind that their season is. I can't see them keeping them in game shape for 3 extra weeks to play an exhibition game. It would crazy to add to their, already heavy load. Plus, it says the Rangers Scout team. Usually, in the fall, most MLB teams have a scout team that is comprised of top high school talent that they sponsor for PG's Jupiter event that is one of the most prestigious, heavily scouted showcases. Rob is there every year. That is what I think the "Rangers Scout" team indicates.

May be wrong though.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
MLB Orioles we’re drafting him as a pitcher but he did not accept their offer and he was average as a 3rd base and hitter last year either SO or HR. If he pitches full time he would probably go in first five rounds or even first round if he dominates at pitching.

Benge was penciled in before the season last year as the starter at 3B so if he is back from injury I would bet he’ll be again penciled in as the starter at 3rd.

Oct 19, 2004
Tulsa, OK

Unfortunately they don’t play 3rd, the 2 superstar freshman are Schubert & Sylvester

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Does that mean McLean becomes an every day DH and is available to close every game, every weekend? Good problem to have.
I read somewhere that Benge is still recovering from his surgery but he would be back by Spring. We could have a rotation at 3B with Meola, Benge, and McLean. McLean’s future in MLB is in pitching as he is average at best at 3B.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
-McLean will still play 3rd and has worked there in fall ball. He’s a a plus defender and is the best defender at that position. Medical issue is the reason the Orioles decide to low ball him hard. Wouldn’t be surprising to see him in the weekend rotation.

- juaron watts-brown has looked impressive so far. Has 4 legit pitches and commands them for strikes.

Ehrhard has looked good as well. Took the summer off after dealing with numerous hamstring injuries. Looks good at CF!!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha

Seriously?

.286 and .457 slugging with 4 doubles, a triple, and 8 RBI (a good number of those in clutch pinch hit positions) in 35 plate appearances and played a good 3B in very limited reps as a true freshman. He looked the part of a big time player. I just hope they can hang onto him given McLean's return.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Seriously?

.286 and .457 slugging with 4 doubles, a triple, and 8 RBI (a good number of those in clutch pinch hit positions) in 35 plate appearances and played a good 3B in very limited reps as a true freshman. He looked the part of a big time player. I just hope they can hang onto him given McLean's return.
He just says what comes to mind without hesitation or research....just who he is!!

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
He just says what comes to mind without hesitation or research....just who he is!!
I attended all the home games last year and around 10 away games and Meola did not play much in those games as he was injured. When he did play third base he seemed more skilled or athletic than McLean. As you had implied previously stated, McLean should decide or focus on only pitching or playing only 3B once he gets to MLB. My opinion is he would do better in pitching than 3B to prolong MLB success. The Orioles drafted him as a pitcher based on potential. The Orioles made him a good offer for third round pick.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I attended all the home games last year and around 10 away games and Meola did not play much in those games as he was injured. When he did play third base he seemed more skilled or athletic than McLean. As you had implied previously stated, McLean should decide or focus on only pitching or playing only 3B once he gets to MLB. My opinion is he would do better in pitching than 3B to prolong MLB success. The Orioles drafted him as a pitcher based on potential. The Orioles made him a good offer for third round pick.
If you attended a lot of the games...like you say, you'd realize McLean only made 4 errors playing the hot corner with a .969 fielding percentage. There's nothing average about making 4 errors in an entire college season. The Orioles drafted him as a pitcher. No one is questioning his fielding or arm strength, those grade on the plus side on the MLB scale. The reason he didn't get drafted as a 3rd baseman or a two-way player is b/c he struck out at enormous clip. He set the school record with 107 K's. The Orioles didn't make a good deal. His physical was flagged, in which they low balled him significantly. If they made him a good offer, he'd wouldn't be here.

I like Meola, and I think he'll be really good here, but when he was in there, he looked lost at times at 3rd, as well as running the bases.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
If you attended a lot of the games...like you say, you'd realize McLean only made 4 errors playing the hot corner with a .969 fielding percentage. There's nothing average about making 4 errors in an entire college season. The Orioles drafted him as a pitcher. No one is questioning his fielding or arm strength, those grade on the plus side on the MLB scale. The reason he didn't get drafted as a 3rd baseman or a two-way player is b/c he struck out at enormous clip. He set the school record with 107 K's. The Orioles didn't make a good deal. His physical was flagged, in which they low balled him significantly. If they made him a good offer, he'd wouldn't be here.

I like Meola, and I think he'll be really good here, but when he was in there, he looked lost at times at 3rd, as well as running the bases.
Don’t label me as a McLean hater… He is good or great at 3B in college level but in MLB if you want to make it you need to be great and you can’t have all those SO. If he was a pitcher only he would not need to bat and he would have improved development as a pitcher. Relatively speaking, Meola will only get better with experience. How will he get better sitting on the bench? Meola seems to have natural 3B reflexes and skill level with greater upside. I would rather have McLean at pitcher as he seems to dominate when he pitches having greater upside as a pitcher.

It is unfair to make a claim that I am making up going to games as I do attend games being a season ticket holder and went to the games in Arlington and at Austin. I enjoy watching OSU baseball and I love this sport. I may not be the most knowledgeable OSU baseball fan but you must give me some credit for being a loyal and dedicated OSU fan.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Don’t label me as a McLean hater… He is good or great at 3B in college level but in MLB if you want to make it you need to be great and you can’t have all those SO. If he was a pitcher only he would not need to bat and he would have improved development as a pitcher. Relatively speaking, Meola will only get better with experience. How will he get better sitting on the bench? Meola seems to have natural 3B reflexes and skill level with greater upside. I would rather have McLean at pitcher as he seems to dominate when he pitches having greater upside as a pitcher.

It is unfair to make a claim that I am making up going to games as I do attend games being a season ticket holder and went to the games in Arlington and at Austin. I enjoy watching OSU baseball and I love this sport. I may not be the most knowledgeable OSU baseball fan but you must give me some credit for being a loyal and dedicated OSU fan.
I never said you were a hater…don’t put words in my mouth. This is you popping off the mouth per usual and now you in your feelings. Meola will get better with competition but as of right now, but unless he takes a jump, he’s not that guy at 3rd and it’s not close. A healthy Benge is likely a better option. After all, he was outperform Meola in fall ball and preseason before having TJ surgery. In the event he pulls a Justin Campbell and wants to focus on pitching, by all means let the competition at 3rd begin. If you claim to go to most games I guess I’ll take your word..I guess

Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I attended every game last season and also agree that Nolan played an outstanding third base. I think that he could easily play there at the next level. I do agree, however, that the pros projected him as a pitcher first. That may change after this year.