Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So we ended the extra State Payouts on unemployment which were SUPPOSED to be the reason that people weren't going back to work.

But those are gone now and people STILL aren't going back.....so we are going to start paying them too

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So we ended the extra State Payouts on unemployment which were SUPPOSED to be the reason that people weren't going back to work.

But those are gone now and people STILL aren't going back.....so we are going to start paying them too
A lot of people kept that money and have enough saved back that they don't feel urgency to get back to work? I mean maybe?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
https://twitter.com/ABCWorldNews/status/1402630428662566913
It's amazing how many people are too scared of getting a covid-19 vaccine, due to possible side effects after over 600,000 people have died due to COVID-19. Not much over 5000 deaths have been associated with the vaccines in 6 months. Who knows how many were merely coincidental?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010

We're at 4.3% unemployment when we were at 3.2% in February 2020. That seems like a number that makes sense that are just stragglers getting back to work. It seems like the real problem is people who switched industries over the last year. I have a friend who left food service because he was tired of being yelled at over masks. I'm sure he isn't the only one, and so that industry is having problems staffing.

Oct 30, 2007

A lot of people kept that money and have enough saved back that they don't feel urgency to get back to work? I mean maybe?
The extended unemployment benefits don't expire until the 26th of this month. I bet we'll see a drop in unemployment rates by the end of next month.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The extended unemployment benefits don't expire until the 26th of this month. I bet we'll see a drop in unemployment rates by the end of next month.
So WHY in the world is the state going to pay people to go back to work....when the point of ending the extended unemployment benefits was to make people get back out to work.

I guess the state decided it wasn't worth it to stick it out and see if ending the unemployment extended benefits would work, so stacked on top of ending the benefits paying people to go back to work.

What a cluster F

Nov 23, 2010
So WHY in the world is the state going to pay people to go back to work....when the point of ending the extended unemployment benefits was to make people get back out to work.

I guess the state decided it wasn't worth it to stick it out and see if ending the unemployment extended benefits would work, so stacked on top of ending the benefits paying people to go back to work.

What a cluster F
My guess is it's federal money with limitations on how it can be used. Sign on bonuses are okay, other purposes are not.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
its market forces, people dont want to work crappy jobs for low pay and have found ways to not do it anymore.
Yep. Not sure why anyone would be upset. It's market forces at work. Eventually food service wages will rise or they'll go under and be replaced by businesses that pay better. Circle of life.

Oct 30, 2007

What a cluster F
It does seem like an odd decision. We're spending $24M to solve a problem that should be solved eventually with time. That being said, our state had an $800M surplus from the stimulus bills, and there may be requirements in place to spend some of it on the pandemic. So that may be the reason this is happening.

Our unemployment rates have already dropped pretty significantly. 4.3% is actually pretty good in comparison to the rest of the country. The national average is 5.8%, and states like CA & NY are still over 8%. Our state has handled the pandemic better than most from an economic standpoint.

1623424247528.png

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don't understand how some people can blame the extended unemployment benefits for the lack of people going back to work claiming they make more sitting at home getting unemployment and also argue that shutting off the unemployment extended benefits will force them back to work......., and then turn and around and claim that paying people to go back to work is smart and what Oklahoma should be doing.

Not directed at anyone on this board, but I've had a MAJOR falling out over this with my family recently.

I'm 100% in the camp that market forces are at work and will reshape the pay scale in what was once "low paying jobs".

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
We gotta get these vaccines distributed around the world. Biden announced yesterday the US would buy 500 Million and donate and the other G7 countries matched it and said they would buy 500 million to donate as well

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1403371563945279488

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
We're at 4.3% unemployment when we were at 3.2% in February 2020. That seems like a number that makes sense that are just stragglers getting back to work. It seems like the real problem is people who switched industries over the last year. I have a friend who left food service because he was tired of being yelled at over masks. I'm sure he isn't the only one, and so that industry is having problems staffing.
Unemployment isn't really the important number here. its the participation rate. which is TERRIBLY low. Those not even looking for a job are not counted in unemployment.
2021-06-11 10_27_13-Window.png

Edit adding Feb 2020 for reference
2021-06-11 10_29_21-Window.png

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
We gotta get these vaccines distributed around the world. Biden announced yesterday the US would buy 500 Million and donate and the other G7 countries matched it and said they would buy 500 million to donate as well

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1403371563945279488
Brazil and India are the primary culprits and epic mismanagement by their leadership is the primary cause. Vaccine nationalism didn't help, but by the time that was really a thing, it was mostly too late for India and both countries made decisions that delayed vaccine availability substantially because their leadership thought they had already mostly beaten it. I really feel like this should be a lesson for those who are still vaccine holdouts. Vaccines are not treatments. They only work if you take them BEFORE the next outbreak, which will happen again in the US, and the mRNA vaccines are some of the most effective we've ever developed.

Nov 23, 2010
Unemployment isn't really the important number here. its the participation rate. which is TERRIBLY low. Those not even looking for a job are not counted in unemployment.
View attachment 90592

Edit adding Feb 2020 for reference
View attachment 90593
Looks to me like the point carries over? We're 1.7% off pre-pandemic levels. Now maybe the pre-pandemic number was itself too low, but that's a different conversation and obviously wouldn't be affected by measures still in place to combat the economic effects of the pandemic.

I checked here: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LBSSA40 and Oklahoma's labor force participation is 60.8% which is .2% higher than February 2020 and April 2021 is even with April 2019.

Oct 30, 2007
I'm 100% in the camp that market forces are at work and will reshape the pay scale in what was once "low paying jobs".
The fair market value of an individual's salary is determined by the supply and demand for the skillset they possess. The problem is that the supply of lower tier workers is being manipulated by enhanced unemployment benefits and stimulus checks. Why would someone accept a job with a lower salary if they're being paid more to sit at home and do nothing?

Democrats didn't have the votes to get a $15 min. wage, and the Senate parliamentarian wouldn't allow them to do it through budget reconciliation. I very much believe they're using enhanced unemployment benefits as a way to manipulate the supply of workers and force employers to pay higher wages.

We'll see what happens. Wages are increasing, but so is inflation. So even though things are changing, the end product will likely be the same.

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Looks to me like the point carries over? We're 1.7% off pre-pandemic levels. Now maybe the pre-pandemic number was itself too low, but that's a different conversation and obviously wouldn't be affected by measures still in place to combat the economic effects of the pandemic.

I checked here: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LBSSA40 and Oklahoma's labor force participation is 60.8% which is .2% higher than February 2020 and April 2021 is even with April 2019.
1.7% difference is over 5 million people less in the labor force.