Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If you are part of a medical study, can't they only compensate you for some time and travel expenses? I really do think there's ethics at play here. As for where the money comes from, yeah, if it's federal then I don't agree with it. But it could be the money was designated covid relief (I don't know). If it was then those taxpayers have every right to be mad at the state for not using it in other ways. 5 million is a lot of money.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
It is designated as COVID money and most states doing stuff like this are doing it with federal money. They're already going to spend the money on vaccine-related advertising, educational campaigns, etc. The lottery is a fantastic marketing campaign and might actually be cheaper than an alternative one that doesn't include a lottery. It got picked up by every single news outlet where the equivalent air time, even just in Ohio would be obscenely expensive.

Also, we're probably all ok with some kind of incentives. For example, would anyone have an issue with a pop up clinic where they're serving free pizza to everyone in order to draw people in? (Basically every college vaccine push ever) We're then getting into territory about size of incentives rather than an incentive program per se.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If you are part of a medical study, can't they only compensate you for some time and travel expenses? I really do think there's ethics at play here. As for where the money comes from, yeah, if it's federal then I don't agree with it. But it could be the money was designated covid relief (I don't know). If it was then those taxpayers have every right to be mad at the state for not using it in other ways. 5 million is a lot of money.

It is designated as COVID money and most states doing stuff like this are doing it with federal money. They're already going to spend the money on vaccine-related advertising, educational campaigns, etc. The lottery is a fantastic marketing campaign and might actually be cheaper than an alternative one that doesn't include a lottery. It got picked up by every single news outlet where the equivalent air time, even just in Ohio would be obscenely expensive.

Also, we're probably all ok with some kind of incentives. For example, would anyone have an issue with a pop up clinic where they're serving free pizza to everyone in order to draw people in? (Basically every college vaccine push ever) We're then getting into territory about size of incentives rather than an incentive program per se.
I think the point is monetary beyond compensation is what I'm talking about. I can't pin it down, but it just seems that there's some ethical thing they are trying to wiggle around. I don't think it is right honestly.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close

Rather than have the government throw money at buying buy-in, employers could insist all employees be vaccinated before returning to work. The ability to keep paying bills is a great incentive and doesn't cost the taxpayer anything. I believe that will happen at some level.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
There's going to be A LOT of this.

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow said Thursday she would need to "rewire" herself to no longer look at unmasked people as a "threat" in response to relaxed federal guidelines for vaccinated persons.

"I feel like I'm going to have to rewire myself so that when I see someone out in the world who's not wearing a mask, I don't instantly think, ‘You are a threat,’" Maddow said. "Or you are selfish or you are a Covid denier and you definitely haven't been vaccinated. I mean, we're going to have to rewire the way that we look at each other."

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow said Thursday she would need to "rewire" herself to no longer look at unmasked people as a "threat" in response to relaxed federal guidelines for vaccinated persons.

"I feel like I'm going to have to rewire myself so that when I see someone out in the world who's not wearing a mask, I don't instantly think, ‘You are a threat,’" Maddow said. "Or you are selfish or you are a Covid denier and you definitely haven't been vaccinated. I mean, we're going to have to rewire the way that we look at each other."
I agree with her.

Mar 11, 2006

I appreciate she is being honest, but a lot to unpack here. Her statement truly shows how some people worry about others more than that worry about themselves. It is Karen-society thinking.

I can't think of a single time when I was concerned that someone in a store or around me wasn't wearing a mask. And certainly never thought someone was being selfish for not wearing a mask. Glad she is re-thinking her past snap judgement of others.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
Oklahoma State University changes its mask policy to reflect CDC...

Campus Mask Mandate Changes

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Oklahoma State University has been committed to following the guidance and directives of the CDC and local and state health officials. In response to CDC guidance released yesterday, and again in consultation with local and state health officials, OSU will no longer require the mandated use of masks or social distancing on campus or at any OSU sponsored activity. Two exceptions exist: Masks will still be required on transit buses due to Department of Transportation requirements, and masks will be required in certain areas of University Health Services. Although mask mandates for campus will no longer be in effect, community members may continue to voluntarily wear masks based on their own needs.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

She's all around terrible. But I think she's right on this. It took some time to get used to wearing a mask - now it will take time to get used to not wearing one.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
She's all around terrible. But I think she's right on this. It took some time to get used to wearing a mask - now it will take time to get used to not wearing one.
What bothered me more than people that didn't wear masks are people that had their nose out or their nose out and mouth partly uncovered.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Man, these government entities at multiple levels giving up their emergency powers and discontinuing mask mandates must really be messing with the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists. But not to worry, I'm sure they'll think of some new diabolical twist to all of this.
No worries. Fauci will think out loud before long.

Mar 11, 2006
What bothered me more than people that didn't wear masks are people that had their nose out or their nose out and mouth partly uncovered.
Why did it bother you? Not judging you, just curious. Other than the times I flew on an airplane, I don’t think I ever gave a second thought about others wearing a mask. I can’t think of a single time I felt encroached upon by some not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly.

Other than the humorous thoughts that wearing a mask, while walking to your table in a restaurant only to not wear it for the next hour while at dinner, was somehow curtailing the spread.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Why did it bother you? Not judging you, just curious. Other than the times I flew on an airplane, I don’t think I ever gave a second thought about others wearing a mask. I can’t think of a single time I felt encroached upon by some not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly.

Other than the humorous thoughts that wearing a mask, while walking to your table in a restaurant only to not wear it for the next hour while at dinner, was somehow curtailing the spread.
Because it looks so stupid. And people thought they were being awesome while they looked like idiots

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I appreciate she is being honest, but a lot to unpack here. Her statement truly shows how some people worry about others more than that worry about themselves. It is Karen-society thinking.

I can't think of a single time when I was concerned that someone in a store or around me wasn't wearing a mask. And certainly never thought someone was being selfish for not wearing a mask. Glad she is re-thinking her past snap judgement of others.
She isn't rethinking her past, she is talking about the present day which is a distinct change from the past. Just because you personally didn't understand or care about the risks doesn't mean others shouldn't have. I know people that don't really care much about drunk driving. But, they don't brag about it and call the people that do "Karen." BTW, drunk driving killed 10,000 in the US in 2019. COVID killed 375,000 in the US in 2020. Putting a piece of fabric over your face while in public spaces to help prevent the third leading cause of death isn't too big of burden to ask. Ignoring it and making us one of the worst countries on the planet at COVID is poor citizenship that should be judged.
But, you go right ahead and act holier-than-thou about the fact that you didn't get it.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

You would have felt differently if you were one of the ones I put on a ventilator.

It bothered me because I got to see the people gasping for their last breaths that this careless and selfish attitude helped worsen. There is clear science that face-coverings limit the spread in enclosed spaces. Not doing is potentially killing other people. I cannot comprehend how you can't see this.