Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I think where it breaks down a bit is the phrase "at all", as if people like me have zero regard for society or something. That's not true.
This is literally the message I was responding to:
"Fair enough, for you. I don't get flu shots, and haven't had the flu in 15-20 years. Therefore I will not get a yearly covid shot, either. Why would I? I hate shots, especially ones as ineffective as the seasonal flu vaccinations. Why would I take a 40-50% effective vaccine yearly to prevent something I get every 15-20 years?

Perhaps when I'm old and frail I'll consider it, but for now I'm good."

"I don't get flu shots... I'm good." Literally only thinking of yourself with literally zero regard for society. Which is why I think we're doomed. Sure, if you're backed into a corner by @steross you'll throw out some nonsense about society, but you've already tipped your hand and shown it to be exactly that, nonsense, because "I'm good, I ain't getting the vaccine" regardless of the effect on the rest of society. There are far too many people who think like you, utterly selfish, for us to actually defeat this the way we did smallpox and polio.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This is literally the message I was responding to:
"Fair enough, for you. I don't get flu shots, and haven't had the flu in 15-20 years. Therefore I will not get a yearly covid shot, either. Why would I? I hate shots, especially ones as ineffective as the seasonal flu vaccinations. Why would I take a 40-50% effective vaccine yearly to prevent something I get every 15-20 years?

Perhaps when I'm old and frail I'll consider it, but for now I'm good."

"I don't get flu shots... I'm good." Literally only thinking of yourself with literally zero regard for society. Which is why I think we're doomed. Sure, if you're backed into a corner by @steross you'll throw out some nonsense about society, but you've already tipped your hand and shown it to be exactly that, nonsense, because "I'm good, I ain't getting the vaccine" regardless of the effect on the rest of society. There are far too many people who think like you, utterly selfish, for us to actually defeat this the way we did smallpox and polio.
You literally have zero clue what the effect of my choices have had or will have on society. None. You can conjecture all you want about "people like me", but you still don't know anything. You can only guess using current stats about the population.

If I was "utterly selfish", I'd have been attending parties, going to bars, and working in the office during the pandemic, then going to visit at-risk people as frequently as I wanted. But I didn't. I stayed home and kept my distance and wore (still wear) masks. I've done all the stuff that was asked of us to flatten the curve. I got depressed, anxious, and isolated like everyone else. I gained weight like everyone else. I did all of that, because I actually care. Someday I might be compelled to get a vaccine as well, but it's not today. And I'm still choosing to work from home and avoid some large gatherings, etc... because I actually do care, and I'm trying to do my part knowing that since I'm choosing to wait for the vaccine, I could potentially, theoretically carry the virus to someone else.

But I digress... You obviously know WAY more about me than I do about myself. So, carry on.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You literally have zero clue what the effect of my choices have had or will have on society. None. You can conjecture all you want about "people like me", but you still don't know anything. You can only guess using current stats about the population.

If I was "utterly selfish", I'd have been attending parties, going to bars, and working in the office during the pandemic, then going to visit at-risk people as frequently as I wanted. But I didn't. I stayed home and kept my distance and wore (still wear) masks. I've done all the stuff that was asked of us to flatten the curve. I got depressed, anxious, and isolated like everyone else. I gained weight like everyone else. I did all of that, because I actually care. Someday I might be compelled to get a vaccine as well, but it's not today. And I'm still choosing to work from home and avoid some large gatherings, etc... because I actually do care, and I'm trying to do my part knowing that since I'm choosing to wait for the vaccine, I could potentially, theoretically carry the virus to someone else.

But I digress... You obviously know WAY more about me than I do about myself.
Virtue signaling is so much fun, though.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Quite to the contrary, I know exactly the effect that those who refuse to be vaccinated will have on the population in general. It isn't conjecture, either, and isn't a "guess" using current stats about the population.

Birry said:
"If I was "utterly selfish", I'd have been attending parties, going to bars, and working in the office during the pandemic, then going to visit at-risk people as frequently as I wanted. But I didn't. I stayed home and kept my distance and wore (still wear) masks. I've done all the stuff that was asked of us to flatten the curve. I got depressed, anxious, and isolated like everyone else. I gained weight like everyone else. I did all of that, because I actually care. Someday I might be compelled to get a vaccine as well, but it's not today."

And there in that last sentence again you tip your hand - as if you didn't do that with all the "I's" in that paragraph. That's who you are concerned with, you.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Quite to the contrary, I know exactly the effect that those who refuse to be vaccinated will have on the population in general. It isn't conjecture, either, and isn't a "guess" using current stats about the population.

Birry said:
"If I was "utterly selfish", I'd have been attending parties, going to bars, and working in the office during the pandemic, then going to visit at-risk people as frequently as I wanted. But I didn't. I stayed home and kept my distance and wore (still wear) masks. I've done all the stuff that was asked of us to flatten the curve. I got depressed, anxious, and isolated like everyone else. I gained weight like everyone else. I did all of that, because I actually care. Someday I might be compelled to get a vaccine as well, but it's not today."

And there in that last sentence again you tip your hand - as if you didn't do that with all the "I's" in that paragraph. That's who you are concerned with, you.
"tipped my hand"? wtf are you talking about? I have nothing to hide. I'm not playing some game. I'm not trying to win any arguments. Not everything is a logical debate.

So, because I'm not doing something precisely the way you deem to be best at the precise time that you deem to be best, you've decided that I only care about myself. lol Ok. That escalated quickly.

Its people like you that doom society, not people like me.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
"tipped my hand"? wtf are you talking about? I have nothing to hide. I'm not playing some game. I'm not trying to win any arguments. Not everything is a logical debate.

So, because I'm not doing something precisely the way you deem to be best at the precise time that you deem to be best, you've decided that I only care about myself. lol Ok. That escalated quickly.

I posted an article a few months back about an asinine policy at Cal-Berkley that required only students in dorms be locked inside and have to ask for approval to go outside to exercise, go to the store, etc...

That somehow got turned into an F. Lee Bailey drilldown of 'what do you think the school's intentions are?'

On a positive note, I now realize I've been wrong my whole life with my understanding of what 'tipping your hand' actually means. Apparently, clearly stating your point of view is 'tipping your hand'-who knew?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

It has nothing to do with what I deem, it has entirely to do with what you said.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It has nothing to do with what I deem, it has entirely to do with what you said.
So....some regard for society (as detailed in my previous posts) is equal to zero regard for society? Got it. I'm a 100% selfish individual, because I didn't do exactly as you deemed appropriate at the time you deemed it should be done.

So you're just horrible at math, then?
You ignore pieces of information you don't like?
You just like to be angry and judgy?
All of the above?