Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Two factors that give me pause to “go back to normal.”
  1. How will vaccines respond to variants and vice-versa (new strains created)?
  2. It’s nice not getting flu or other contagions.
Not sure what to think of this

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...cines-side-effects-efficacy-and-more/2490162/

“So far, studies suggest that the vaccines currently in use can recognize the emerging variants — but they may not provide as much protection against the new strains.”

They link to this letter in the NEJM, which I cannot decipher:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102179

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Two factors that give me pause to “go back to normal.”
  1. How will vaccines respond to variants and vice-versa (new strains created)?
  2. It’s nice not getting flu or other contagions.
Not sure what to think of this

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...cines-side-effects-efficacy-and-more/2490162/

“So far, studies suggest that the vaccines currently in use can recognize the emerging variants — but they may not provide as much protection against the new strains.”

They link to this letter in the NEJM, which I cannot decipher:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102179
Short version: the mRNA vaccines likely work against the new variants, but it probably isn't the insanely high effectiveness that we see against the Wuhan original and UK variant.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Short version: the mRNA vaccines likely work against the new variants, but it probably isn't the insanely high effectiveness that we see against the Wuhan original and UK variant.
Thanks. I was struggling to understand what the identified as an emerging variant vs. a new strain. That makes sense.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
And at the first of the month, the CDC director herself said that the data showed vaccinated people don't spread the virus. There is enough data that I'm comfortable with operating as usual. If you're not, cool. Stay home, wear a mask, whatever you want. Live your life how you want.

I've done my part. I got the vaccine, I purposely exposed myself to someone with the active virus for extended periods of time and did not catch it. It's time to get back to normal.
So, data or recommendations that confirm your preconceptions are good enough for you, but you cannot adapt to new data or recommendations. Your N of 1 trial means that everyone ought to follow your recommendations. Got it.

Jan 14, 2006
So, data or recommendations that confirm your preconceptions are good enough for you, but you cannot adapt to new data or recommendations. Your N of 1 trial means that everyone ought to follow your recommendations. Got it.
I'm not suggesting anyone follow me. I'm just some dude on the internet. I literally said for you to do whatever you want in the post you are quoting.

I've yet to hear of a single case of a fully vaccinated person transmitting covid to someone else. Only that after 2+ months of widespread vaccinations, some experts still aren't sure. That plus my own experience and I'm comfortable.

Once again, I'm just some anonymous fella on the internet. I enjoy reading the different opinions on here. Listen to me or don't as you see fit.

Sep 3, 2010
Sep 3, 2010
I'm not suggesting anyone follow me. I'm just some dude on the internet. I literally said for you to do whatever you want in the post you are quoting.

I've yet to hear of a single case of a fully vaccinated person transmitting covid to someone else. Only that after 2+ months of widespread vaccinations, some experts still aren't sure. That plus my own experience and I'm comfortable.

Once again, I'm just some anonymous fella on the internet. I enjoy reading the different opinions on here. Listen to me or don't as you see fit.
You obviously hate children. :pistols:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I've yet to hear of a single case of a fully vaccinated person transmitting covid to someone else.
Nice solipsism.

You say it's just your opinion, that you're just a guy on the internet, but then you attempt to make a factual statement and follow that with a generalization from personal anecdote, which undermines your statement that it is just your opinion and you're just a guy on the internet.

Sep 3, 2010
Nice solipsism.

You say it's just your opinion, that you're just a guy on the internet, but then you attempt to make a factual statement and follow that with a generalization from personal anecdote, which undermines your statement that it is just your opinion and you're just a guy on the internet.
Solipsism? Can we put a limit on the use of big words? This is sports board fer cryin out loud. Moderators?

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I think the key word here is anecdotally.

This was before vaccines were available, but it contradicts “masks don’t do anything.”

Early face mask policies curbed COVID-19’s spread, according to 198-country analysis View attachment 89974
“The study found that the single most important factor that can be controlled is wearing masks in public.”

https://news.vcu.edu/article/Early_face_mask_policies_curbed_COVID19s_spread_according_to
This isn’t a pro or anti mask post y’all do what you want but that graph isn’t representative anymore. Certainly was applicable at the time but we know more now. It takes and “almost three month” period over countries it doesn’t identify but lists Asian countries and the study ended before July 6th 2020. In other words this is data from when had the smallest sample, least knowledge of the virus, and they are giving credit to masks in Asia where we now no that isn’t the case.....at least entirely. This data was relevant then and would be a good reason to implement mask mandates. and Since I can’t see all the countries no one can speak to it exactly but given the the vast majority of the world was under a mask mandate right before/after the study and cases and deaths were higher most everywhere last fall the conclusion has to change. The graph would certainly change if for no other reason America (at least 90% of population) was under a mandate when the overwhelming majority of our issues occurred. This would be like posting data from April 2020 about surface contact.....that’s what we thought then....the data has changed.

Mar 11, 2006
This isn’t a pro or anti mask post y’all do what you want but that graph isn’t representative anymore. Certainly was applicable at the time but we know more now. It takes and “almost three month” period over countries it doesn’t identify but lists Asian countries and the study ended before July 6th 2020. In other words this is data from when had the smallest sample, least knowledge of the virus, and they are giving credit to masks in Asia where we now no that isn’t the case.....at least entirely. This data was relevant then and would be a good reason to implement mask mandates. and Since I can’t see all the countries no one can speak to it exactly but given the the vast majority of the world was under a mask mandate right before/after the study and cases and deaths were higher most everywhere last fall the conclusion has to change. The graph would certainly change if for no other reason America (at least 90% of population) was under a mandate when the overwhelming majority of our issues occurred. This would be like posting data from April 2020 about surface contact.....that’s what we thought then....the data has changed.
Penalty. Unnecessary use of logic, reasoning, and critical thinking on this thread.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
It's shocking to me how many people I know have made the argument over the past year that masks aren't 100% effective so that means they are worthless. I don't even understand how you make that jump. They are a tool and were one of the best tools we had until vaccines became available. It's really disappointing how controversial they have been.

That said, I'm ready to get back to not wearing them as soon as everyone has had their opportunity to get the vaccine. We may already be there in a lot of places.
Masks are like life jackets. They don't work unless you got one on. The reason they haven't been more effective was because too many people only wore them when they had to, but wouldn't do it while at home with company over.