Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Sadly I bet this pandemic is vastly underreported throughout the world due to confusion, lack of resources, no standards, or maybe even country pride (wink wink China). I firmly believe the US has done a good job telling the whole story and continues to change metrics to report the actual numbers. This is probably why we far exceed the rest of the world in cases and deaths despite access to some of the top medical care and resources in the world.

Mar 11, 2006
Interesting article on Biden’s Administration push for vaccine equity and the problems it has presented.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-pushed-hard-for-vaccine-equity-did-they-succeed-195443771.html

Expanding eligibility” before people of color have been vaccinated at sufficiently high rates “systematically discriminates” against them, argues Dr. Jorge A. Caballero, a professor of anesthesiology at Stanford. But..many other doctors claim...
”These efforts are well intentioned but have led to more deaths than would have happened had a simple age-prioritization strategy been universally adopted,” said Dr. Jayanta Bhattacharya, a health economist at Stanford

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The BIG problem to explain what's behind why COVID vaccines acceptance is stalled out as reported Wednesday is that many conservatives are dumb and gullible enough to take seriously the outrageous crap Alex Jones and other insane idiots say about how bad the anti covid vaccines are and so they are convinced not to get the vaccines.
I prefer to not paint with this large a brush. Also, vaccine hesitancy is multifaceted. That’s why there isn’t an easy solution. As @Rack points out, antivaxxers are across the spectrum. Some are right wing conspiracy nuts, but there are also wack jobs on the left, libertarians who don’t trust anyone telling them what to do, minorities who don’t trust the government who are justified by historical events, and reasonable people who have concerns with something so new.

My wife and I are getting our second dose in the next week, but I understand why some are concerned. In the meantime, let’s try to not make this any more of a political issue. It’s a public health issue.

Nov 23, 2010
Age prioritization makes sense from a limiting death perspective, and it's also the only thing that can easily be checked via ID when you show up. Trying to enforce being sure someone is diabetic (or the right color) isn't really possible, especially when you're basically on the clock to give a whole vial once it's out of the refrigerator as I understand it.

Searching for equity in vaccine distribution is, at best, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Every shot in the arm when supply was limited helped everyone. Now that we have more supply than we know what to do with, we should start looking for underserved communities, but that doesn't mean the initial roll out was wrong or bad.

Sep 22, 2011
I prefer to not paint with this large a brush. Also, vaccine hesitancy is multifaceted. That’s why there isn’t an easy solution. As @Rack points out, antivaxxers are across the spectrum. Some are right wing conspiracy nuts, but there are also wack jobs on the left, libertarians who don’t trust anyone telling them what to do, minorities who don’t trust the government who are justified by historical events, and reasonable people who have concerns with something so new.

My wife and I are getting our second dose in the next week, but I understand why some are concerned. In the meantime, let’s try to not make this any more of a political issue. It’s a public health issue.
In order to convince the hesitant people we need people who care about them to have actual conversations with them and give them hope that things will be better as a result of them taking the Vaccine. Tough to do in some of the bubbles that are remaining

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
we need to get shots in peoples arms. The longer this thing is permitted to run wild and mutate, the less chance of the vaccines we have now being effective. People NOT getting shots may actually harm themselves and put others at greater risk....and even harm those who did if they continue to hold out

Sep 12, 2008
How much of the vaccine wall is that young people are not getting the shots? I can see it as hard sell to them as they are very low risk from dying or being hospitalized. I mean if I was 18 - 35 you would be hard pressed to convince me.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How much of the vaccine wall is that young people are not getting the shots? I can see it as hard sell to them as they are very low risk from dying or being hospitalized. I mean if I was 18 - 35 you would be hard pressed to convince me.
Not to mention, a ton of the "vaccine hesitant" people have already had the virus. As of 2 months ago, my mom still had strong antibody counts from her bout with covid in March 2020. Her friend that contracted it at the same time has seen her antibody counts go UP over that time. As far as I know, neither of them has taken the vaccine yet.

I'm sure there are a LOT of people who have strong antibodies that were either asymptomatic, mild symptoms, or just fought the virus off, and continued on with life. In other words - I'm not sure why people think that vaccines are the only path to fighting the virus. Many have already "fought" the virus, won, and have strong antibodies against it and potentially future variants.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

True, such as health nut Gary Null, who claims to be progressive and is associated with the Progressive Radio Network online. Strangely enough, chronic doomsayer Gerald Celente is regularly given an hour's program time on that network, while sometimes guest hosting for Alex Jones. And all 3 of them would quite likely tell you that you would be sticking your head in the toilet when reading the New York Times!

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
@StillwaterTownie, it's not "only" a minority of conservatives (I'd not classify them as that, these are low information working class whites you are talking about), but it's also "west coast" vegan types, minorities, as well as other fringe groups. The Alex Jones wack jobs you are talking about aren't "conservative," because to conserve means to keep what has worked in the past and vaccines have been working for a long long time...the people that believe Alex Jones are NOT "conservatives." The most conservative people I know, my parents and their little church congregation, were some of the very first in line for the shot. I didn't meet a one of their fifty or so in congregation on Easter that had not had the jabs. Point being, despite your and others desire to pigeon hole vaccine hesitancy as one group, you need to realize that's a false narrative. At work my most difficult people to convivence aren't the conservative Christians. While, if you look at a map of vaccine hesitancy, some of it IS traditional white working class areas, but much of it is native American populations, African American populations, among others. It's a disservice to the truth to single out one group only of this very diverse vaccine resistant group.
Yes, elderly health nut Gary Null, apparently progressive, is a vegan who is against vaccines.

On the other side, during the past weekend, people on the crazy extremist right held a huge gathering in Tulsa that ended with a mask burning event: Conservative conference with prominent QAnon supporters to close out with Covid mask-burning event (yahoo.com)

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
@StillwaterTownie, it's not "only" a minority of conservatives (I'd not classify them as that, these are low information working class whites you are talking about), but it's also "west coast" vegan types, minorities, as well as other fringe groups. The Alex Jones wack jobs you are talking about aren't "conservative," because to conserve means to keep what has worked in the past and vaccines have been working for a long long time...the people that believe Alex Jones are NOT "conservatives." The most conservative people I know, my parents and their little church congregation, were some of the very first in line for the shot. I didn't meet a one of their fifty or so in congregation on Easter that had not had the jabs. Point being, despite your and others desire to pigeon hole vaccine hesitancy as one group, you need to realize that's a false narrative. At work my most difficult people to convivence aren't the conservative Christians. While, if you look at a map of vaccine hesitancy, some of it IS traditional white working class areas, but much of it is native American populations, African American populations, among others. It's a disservice to the truth to single out one group only of this very diverse vaccine resistant group.
So townie opening his mouth to disparage all conservatives with a bunch of straw arguments again I bet. Glad I have him on ignore. He doesn't listen to reason or truth. Just somebody's account to anonymously scream his hatred of white Christians.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Many have already "fought" the virus, won, and have strong antibodies against it and potentially future variants.
You do understand the studies being linked here are saying that there are already variants which are finding ways to break through the antibodies already right. Regardless if those antibodies were from having the virus or from getting the vaccine.

The longer people go without developing any antibodies either through catching it or getting vaccinated, the more variants will be able to form

The variable you control in this situation is getting vaccinated.

The people waiting around to catch it in order to develop antibodies isn't a controllable variable. The longer that variable exists the greater chance the virus can mutate to overcome the antibodies our bodies or the vaccine are creating

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You do understand the studies being linked here are saying that there are already variants which are finding ways to break through the antibodies already right. Regardless if those antibodies were from having the virus or from getting the vaccine.

The longer people go without developing any antibodies either through catching it or getting vaccinated, the more variants will be able to form
I get that. Trust me. My only point is that there are likely a lot more people with antibodies than anyone can officially count. My family most certainly had it, but many of us aren't counted in any stats at this point. We stayed at home, dealt with the effects (which were wildly varied among my family), and presumably have antibodies. Why should we (and others like us) feel compelled to all rush out and get vaccinated?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

I don't think this is what you're saying but it's worth clarifying, relying on getting antibodies from catching it is a bad idea. You get infected because the virus is replicating inside you. Those replications are largely where mutations happen. Most are benign, but the more replications you have, the more we're going to have variants of concern. Therefore, greater development of antibodies through infection will inherently be associated with greater emergence of variants.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don't think this is what you're saying but it's worth clarifying, relying on getting antibodies from catching it is a bad idea. You get infected because the virus is replicating inside you. Those replications are largely where mutations happen. Most are benign, but the more replications you have, the more we're going to have variants of concern. Therefore, greater development of antibodies through infection will inherently be associated with greater emergence of variants.
Yeah, what the smart guy said LOL. That was what I was trying to get across

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I get that. Trust me. My only point is that there are likely a lot more people with antibodies than anyone can officially count. My family most certainly had it, but many of us aren't counted in any stats at this point. We stayed at home, dealt with the effects (which were wildly varied among my family), and presumably have antibodies. Why should we (and others like us) feel compelled to all rush out and get vaccinated?
Because so far those antibodies (and other immune responses) are more durable and robust from the vaccine than just natural antibodies. Even if you've had it, the vaccine still increases your immune response. This isn't an all or nothing deal. It's varying degrees of strength that will help your body detect and destroy the virus faster.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Maybe for your fellow Americans? Do we not care enough for our neighbors to take a shot and be sure instead of to assume we are fine ?

Do it for the people in your church, for your kids or grandkids teachers and custodians at school, for their bus drivers, for your mail man, for the guy who watches your house when your out of town, for the cashier at Lowes or Wal Mart, for the future OSU Cowboy who is currently starting on your local High School football team

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
But for those who contracted the virus before the vaccine was available, why should we feel compelled to go get it? You can say "insurance", but that's not a compelling enough reason for me.