Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1384511840680620032
@Binman4OSU in some ways I appreciate what you post because you post tweets from some extremists that I never knew existed -- and I get to read perspectives that are vastly different than mine. This guy, however, unfortunately I have heard prior ....he is one of the extreme liberal equivalents of David Duke. He certainly toes the line on hate speech.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I play frisbee golf at a park less than a mile from my house. A park that abuts an Elementary school on one side, baseball and soccer fields on another, and a YMCA on a third side. The park also houses a community center where kids do after school stuff, families get meals, etc... This is a large park, with any number of people there at all hours.

There is also a creek which runs through this park, and the creek has a pedestrian bridge. The pedestrian bridge is barricaded off, with COVID social distancing signs plastered all over the barricade.

My point? We still have some idiot with the city who apparently thinks the pedestrian bridge poses some viable threat to defeating COVID. Yes, a bridge, in the middle of a park full of people.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The 'clingers' cannot go away soon enough.
OR... Now this might sound crazy... But ORRR they closed it off back when rates were high bc it's a choke point (I'm assuming with it being a pedestrian bridge that it's not incredibly wide) that requires people break within the 6ft bubble to pass each other and either they think it's still not needing to be open yet or they've forgotten about it?? (My bet is it's been forgotten in which case you could reach out to the city and ask when it will be open again.)
This is my point exactly.
So the bridge poses a bigger threat than the school right next to it? The dugouts at the ball field? The Community Center?

It’s random, arbitrary silliness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
@Binman4OSU in some ways I appreciate what you post because you post tweets from some extremists that I never knew existed -- and I get to read perspectives that are vastly different than mine. This guy, however, unfortunately I have heard prior ....he is one of the extreme liberal equivalents of David Duke. He certainly toes the line on hate speech.
Sadly I like to be aware of the extremist across the entire spectrum. I have a funny feeling at some point in the future it may save my life or the life of my family someday. I want to be aware of where/who the extremist are, their symbols and their terminology so if I hear/see those things in a big public area....I know its time to leave and move on as bad people with bad intentions are amongst us.

I think it is a protection instinct instilled in me as a young kid growing up outside LA where there was a real gangland issue in the 80's and 90's and you had to be aware of what color clothing items or certain clothing accessories you couldn't wear as you could become an unintended target/casualty of a Gang War. And if you knew what the gang graffiti signs symbolized when you were out in public you knew by signs painted on locations you best not be found at.

We used to have mini classes at schools about what we could and couldn't wear, what colors we had to avoid, and symbols to look out for every time we took a school field trip into LA

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Another thing to look at is that we have a growing number of colleges requiring vaccination for their students. They all have exceptions for students with issues that would not allow them to take the vaccine, but overall, I think this is a decent trend. I know Oklahoma State is well ahead of the curve on student vaccination, but was wondering if anyone has the stats for the Students and Athletes?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Starting today Bixby elementary school teachers will set their own mask policy for their classrooms

I would hate to have this responsibility heaped on me as a teacher

https://www.fox23.com/news/local/bi...ar/LWGBDQITGRBTDNBA4WA7MWZOLY/?outputType=amp
Wow, that's some pro-level passing the buck game by the administration there. Future in politics!
"Masks will still be required while riding on the school bus, during arrival/dismissal and other times of the day when social distancing is not possible."

Sounds like masks still encouraged, but there are times where kids can take them off in class and that is determined by the teacher. And this is only elementary schools. I'd say this isn't as big a deal as you're making it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
"Masks will still be required while riding on the school bus, during arrival/dismissal and other times of the day when social distancing is not possible."

Sounds like masks still encouraged, but there are times where kids can take them off in class and that is determined by the teacher. And thus is only elementary schools. I'd say this isn't as big a deal as you're making it.

It will only take 1 crazy parent to show just how big a deal they will make this.

So the school will require masks on buses, masks at arrival/dismissal/ and at all other times when they can't social distance.

All it will take is for 1 teacher to tell their kids they don't have to wear a mask and for 1 of those kids to catch COVID....because of regardless where they caught it...their crazy parents will blame the 1 teachers class where that teacher didn't require a mask...and they will sue the school and since the school has left it up to the teachers...they have also opened up the Teacher directly to be sued based on their personal classroom choice.

And what happens when a teacher sets the classroom policy that no one can wear a mask in their classroom and tries to discipline a child who refuses to take it off. Again creating conflict of the teachers personal choice vs the parents/child personal choice

The school is unnecessarily exposing their own teachers to lawsuits

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
But those hesitant are also ones not taking precautions and being cautious, right (that's what some of the media is saying)? Wouldn't that mean they'd get it and thus be part of the 85%?

In our case, that's false. I was one of the first to start working full time from home, and have followed all guidelines to this point with the express intent of doing my part to protect whoever was at risk. My decisions for me and my my family have always been to take it week by week and see what the data compels us to do. At this point, #'s are plummeting, the at-risk populations have full access to a nearly 100% effective antidote, we are 99.9% sure we had the virus in Dec 2020, and we now feel less compelled to get the vaccine for all the above reasons.
So you are not getting the vaccine, and still got rona. So you are part of the 85%. I didn't say all and I was kind of being tongue in cheek with it because that's how the hesitant are portrayed. Ignorant rednecks that have no caution for anything.
But still my point stands, the 85% does not need to be all vaccinations.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity Monday night, Trump said he had been asked to do a public service announcement because a lot of his supporters “don’t want to take the vaccine.”
Data shows Republicans have the highest rate of vaccine skepticism of any major demographic group in the U.S., with 45% stating they do not plan on getting inoculated in a recent Quinnipiac survey.
Trump—who previously expressed skepticism about vaccines in general—said he doesn’t know why Republicans are hesitant to get inoculated, saying “I don’t know what that is exactly.”
“I encourage people to take it, I do,” Trump said of Covid-19 vaccines, adding that he was immunized.
Trump and former First Lady Melania Trump received the vaccine in January behind closed doors, unlike Joe Biden and other former presidents.

Blasting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine pause as “stupid,” Trump again pushed an unfounded conspiracy theory that U.S. health agencies halted the rollout to benefit Pfizer, claiming the pharmaceutical company was “in with the FDA.”
Do remember, leftist entertainers and others were all anti trump vax last year. Fun times fun times.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Do remember, leftist entertainers and others were all anti trump vax last year. Fun times fun times.

Who did that? I remember some trust science not Trump rhetoric but I don’t recall an anti vaccine sentiment. Clearly if they did they were wrong and maybe I missed but it didn't seem like a thing.

If it was someone talking about the Russian vaccine that skipped phase 3 trials at the time I agreed but luckily that one ended up being safe and 91% effective so cool beans for the Russians.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
we too stupid about it and we will end up with Super Covid that doesn't respond to any antibodies. We are at war, and this enemy is very good at changing itself to overcome our defenses. We give it enough time and opportunity and it will eventually find a way to change to where we have no defense.

Virus is like the damn Borg from Star Trek
We need to attack this virus like the great field commander General George Patton...whose standing order was ATTACK...ATTACK ...ATTACK. Then he told his troops their duty was to kill the enemy before the enemy killed them. Likewise we need to kill. this virus before it kills us.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Who did that? I remember some trust science not Trump rhetoric but I don’t recall an anti vaccine sentiment. Clearly if they did they were wrong and maybe I missed but it didn't seem like a thing.

If it was someone talking about the Russian vaccine that skipped phase 3 trials at the time I agreed but luckily that one ended up being safe and 91% effective so cool beans for the Russians.
There were politicians I believe, and actors, etc... that literally said they would not get any vaccine made under trump's administration. I'd have to hunt it down, but they were pretty vocal.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We need to attack this virus like the great field commander General George Patton...whose standing order was ATTACK...ATTACK ...ATTACK. Then he told his troops their duty was to kill the enemy before the enemy killed them. Likewise we need to kill. this virus before it kills us.
To this aim, in a meeting with me yesterday, the company owner made it clear I’m to tell subs that it’s mandatory for working in our buildings, and that if they refuse to get it without valid allergies, we will start looking for their replacement. It’s time to comply and end this virus, at least if one wants to work for us...I’m a little hesitant to conduct this order because I expect people to be smart and get on board without being forced, but I will do as directed.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There were politicians I believe, and actors, etc... that literally said they would not get any vaccine made under trump's administration. I'd have to hunt it down, but they were pretty vocal.

The problem with vaccine hesitation is NOT only on the right it’s entrenched with some minority communities and we can make headway on all counts toward full compliance if we make it at least semi mandatory like we have mask. Once it is we can stop mask use and social distance and travel restrictions and everything else regarding this virus mitigation because it will be over. Point being it’s time to step up! Be a man or woman and get the shot!!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
To this aim, in a meeting with me yesterday, the company owner made it clear I’m to tell subs that it’s mandatory for working in our buildings, and that if they refuse to get it without valid allergies, we will start looking for their replacement. It’s time to comply and end this virus, at least if one wants to work for us...I’m a little hesitant to conduct this order because I expect people to be smart and get on board without being forced, but I will do as directed.
That is ridiculous. I hope y'all get hammered by your employees if you make such a mandate.