Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Apparently hesitancy doesn't necessarily correlate with getting the vaccine.

North Dakota is in the Top 10 for vaccine administered per capita.
That's actually true, but it likely means that in the long run they won't retain that high standing in terms of per capita...Oklahoma won't either unless people change their minds and get it. US and North Dakota just did a really good job on the front end...we are waning and need more of our younger population to step up now.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We, as a nation, have passed 200 million in shots given at 202 million....vaccination looks to be a safe effective way to curb the virus IF you and others get it.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I have questions.

I thought the goal was to avoid overwhelming the medical system. Assuming we're past that, why are we still wearing masks and distancing?

Also, why is there talk of vaccine passports? How is a covid vaccine passport suddenly required but a small pox vaccine passport has never been required?

The vaccine is now available to anyone who wants it, and high risk people should have been taken care of with a nearly 100% effectiveness at avoiding death. What's the end goal, now?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I have questions.

I thought the goal was to avoid overwhelming the medical system. Assuming we're past that, why are we still wearing masks and distancing?

Also, why is there talk of vaccine passports? How is a covid vaccine passport suddenly required but a small pox vaccine passport has never been required?

The vaccine is now available to anyone who wants it, and high risk people should have been taken care of with a nearly 100% effectiveness at avoiding death. What's the end goal, now?
1. Our mask mandate in Tulsa officially expires on April 30th. Our hospital case load in early January was 453 in patients...in three months BECAUSE of the vaccine the numbers dropped like a freaking rock to 70...We are NOW at 40 something in patient covid 19 victims. It has never been more obvious that the vaccine did the trick and that's why authorities are lifting mandates. However IF people continue to refuse vaccines this number will, most likely, go back up.
2. The talk of vaccine passports is, IMHO, BECAUSE vaccines are (see above) PROVEN in the real world to be hyper effective against the spread of covid, reduce hospitalizations and death. We NEED everyone to get one. 2nd We are NOT in a smallpox pandemic so we don't need a smallpox pandemic vaccine passport. These things are fluid and when the pandemic is clearly over that narrative will go away...btw you do need certain vaccines to travel to certain at risk places...always have.
3. The "end goal" is to get everyone vaccinated so that we don't have huge spikes in community spread causing spikes in hospitalizations and deaths again. The ONLY way we can keep that from happening for sure is to get as many people as possible to get the vaccine.

Bottom line, don't be a part of the reason the world remains closed and mask mandates and social distancing remains in place. Schedule and Get the shot if 'you' haven't. They are in huge supply nearly everywhere.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I have questions.

You know why. There will be a percentage of the population who wear masks in public the rest of their lives. These are the same one wearing a mask in a car or out walking by themselves.

Mar 11, 2006
I disagree many times with Bill Maher, but not on his most recent show. He was great with Sharon Osborne and this 7 min view highlighted how the media and some leaders misplayed COVID is fantastic.
One stat he shows is that 70% of Democrats believe that over 20% of people with COVID require hospitalization (and over 40% of Dems believe half of people with COVID are hospitalized - astounding).

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1383415572864458753?s=21

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
1. Our mask mandate in Tulsa officially expires on April 30th. Our hospital case load in early January was 453 in patients...in three months BECAUSE of the vaccine the numbers dropped like a freaking rock to 70...We are NOW at 40 something in patient covid 19 victims. It has never been more obvious that the vaccine did the trick and that's why authorities are lifting mandates. However IF people continue to refuse vaccines this number will, most likely, go back up.
2. The talk of vaccine passports is, IMHO, BECAUSE vaccines are (see above) PROVEN in the real world to be hyper effective against the spread of covid, reduce hospitalizations and death. We NEED everyone to get one. 2nd We are NOT in a smallpox pandemic so we don't need a smallpox pandemic vaccine passport. These things are fluid and when the pandemic is clearly over that narrative will go away...btw you do need certain vaccines to travel to certain at risk places...always have.
3. The "end goal" is to get everyone vaccinated so that we don't have huge spikes in community spread causing spikes in hospitalizations and deaths again. The ONLY way we can keep that from happening for sure is to get as many people as possible to get the vaccine.

Bottom line, don't be a part of the reason the world remains closed and mask mandates and social distancing remains in place. Schedule and Get the shot if 'you' haven't. They are in huge supply nearly everywhere.
But if most of the population gets the vaccine, and presumably there are a % of un-vaccinated people who have already been exposed and have antibodies (me and my family).......how can we have mass community spread, and who is left to be hospitalized?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But if most of the population gets the vaccine, and presumably there are a % of un-vaccinated people who have already been exposed and have antibodies (me and my family).......how can we have mass community spread, and who is left to be hospitalized?
In Michigan where it's happening it is mostly younger people...certainly we shouldn't have as much death but their hospital numbers are indeed going up. As far as already having the virus...depending on how long ago it was...if it's over 90 days ago it is recommend that you get the shots. Most of my doctor friends who had covid have also had the vaccine...I'm tying to talk my brother into it because they had it, but it's been a long time ago.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
In Michigan where it's happening it is mostly younger people...certainly we shouldn't have as much death but their hospital numbers are indeed going up. As far as already having the virus...depending on how long ago it was...if it's over 90 days ago it is recommend that you get the shots. Most of my doctor friends who had covid have also had the vaccine...I'm tying to talk my brother into it because they had it, but it's been a long time ago.
My mom and her friend were some of the first known cases in OK (somehow), and both of them have had a few antibody tests over the last year, and both had strong antibody counts 9 months after they had the virus. Her friend actually saw her antibody counts go UP over that time, even though she hadn't had the vaccine. They are both overweight, out of shape, and in their 60's.

But my bigger question is.......why is it so concerning if hospital #'s go up a bit if there's not enough volume left to come close to overwhelming the system?

The today show started off this morning with how everyone in Texas is going to die because they had a full stadium at the rangers game. ITS OUTDOORS YOU IDIOTS! What are the chances of covid spreading person to person in an outdoor setting? Of course their main deal was “its against the CDC recommendations.” I’m at the point in time Fauci and all of the other clowns at the cdc can kiss my a$$. I’m so tired of hearing about it.
Just checked stats for the Dallas area. Numbers are pretty much the same or down in the last ten days. I’m confident the Today show lead story on Monday will be about how they were wrong

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My mom and her friend were some of the first known cases in OK (somehow), and both of them have had a few antibody tests over the last year, and both had strong antibody counts 9 months after they had the virus. Her friend actually saw her antibody counts go UP over that time, even though she hadn't had the vaccine. They are both overweight, out of shape, and in their 60's.

But my bigger question is.......why is it so concerning if hospital #'s go up a bit if there's not enough volume left to come close to overwhelming the system?
It's good they are checking their antibodies, I actually did the same thing before I got my first dose back in December because, at the time, I was going to wait if I had antibodies and I falsely thought I had the virus in the spring of 2020. Antibodies lasting a long time is a great sign.

If hospitalizations go up a bit and community spread also goes up it means that its likely to go up more and so will death. However, if we can totally squish it, why not do it? Certainly a balance will likely have to be struck because we may not get full participation with the vaccine, if we did we wouldn't even have to think about it anymore and becomes a non-issue in terms of other types of mitigation.

I'm glad your mom and her sister are getting checked, they need to keep on doing that if they plan on not getting the vaccine as long as their is community spread. However, it's likely that their doctors will advise them to get it...and it would be advisable if they want to travel to certain locations because it will be easier than all the testing they will have to do otherwise. Either way they / we need to do what our doctors advise.

Last edited:

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I have questions.

I was always fully on-board with keeping measures in place until everyone had their opportunity to get the vaccine and I think we're pretty damn close to that point. You will never have 100% compliance. At some point we have to throw our hands up and say well, you had your chance and now it's on you if you get sick. Personal responsibility and all that.

All of this assumes we don't see the emergence of a variant that changes the game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It's good they are checking their antibodies, I actually did the same thing before I got my first dose back in December because, at the time, I was going to wait if I had antibodies and I falsely thought I had the virus in the spring of 2020. Antibodies lasting a long time is a great sign.

If hospitalizations go up a bit and community spread also goes up it means that its likely to go up more and so will death. However, if we can totally squish it, why not do it? Certainly a balance will likely have to be struck because we may not get full participation with the vaccine, if we did we wouldn't even have to think about it anymore and becomes a non-issue in terms of other types of mitigation.

I'm glad your mom and her sister are getting checked, they need to keep on doing that if they plan on not getting the vaccine as long as their is community spread. However, it's likely that their doctors will advise them to get it...and it would be advisable if they want to travel to certain locations because it will be easier than all the testing they will have to do otherwise. Either way they / we need to do what our doctors advise.
You say if hospitalizations increase, that deaths will go up. Who is going to die, though? What % of the population is simultaneously at risk, unvaccinated, and hasn't already been exposed? That number has to be really small by now.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You say if hospitalizations increase, that deaths will go up. Who is going to die, though? What % of the population is simultaneously at risk, unvaccinated, and hasn't already been exposed? That number has to be really small by now.
We all hope so....bottom line, if all the unvaccinated get the vaccine I think we are pretty assured of that.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
We all hope so....bottom line, if all the unvaccinated get the vaccine I think we are pretty assured of that.
But that won't happen. More than one person in my family will no way no how be getting the vaccine. There is no talking them into it.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I disagree many times with Bill Maher, but not on his most recent show. He was great with Sharon Osborne and this 7 min view highlighted how the media and some leaders misplayed COVID is fantastic.
One stat he shows is that 70% of Democrats believe that over 20% of people with COVID require hospitalization (and over 40% of Dems believe half of people with COVID are hospitalized - astounding).

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1383415572864458753?s=21
Bill Maher is kind of a more smug, douchey Charles Barkley. I applaud him one day and throw stuff at my TV the next.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But that won't happen. More than one person in my family will no way no how be getting the vaccine. There is no talking them into it.
Well, that's on them not you. I know "everyone" won't get it, but if we do in massive enough numbers, like 70% we will get enough immunity that we should be totally able to return to normal because the risk will be very low to the vast majority of us.. I know many like that as well who are fearful, selfish, and trusting all the misinformation due to the times and the fact that the news has been all over the map on all sorts of topics. The times, and the way folks are reacting to them, is the causing the "crazy," people living in fear breeds all sorts of foolishness including overzealous lockdowns and mandates as well as refusing the way out of them (i.e. the vaccine). It is what it is. I'm a believer in prayer being a good way to reach people and put our attitudes right when broaching any subject, not only this one. You never know how someone will respond to a loving word after a heart felt prayer.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Well, that's on them not you. I know "everyone" won't get it, but if we do in massive enough numbers, like 70% we will get enough immunity that we should be totally able to return to normal because the risk will be very low to the vast majority of us.. I know many like that as well who are fearful, selfish, and trusting all the misinformation due to the times and the fact that the news has been all over the map on all sorts of topics. The times, and the way folks are reacting to them, is the causing the "crazy," people living in fear breeds all sorts of foolishness including overzealous lockdowns and mandates as well as refusing the way out of them (i.e. the vaccine). It is what it is. I'm a believer in prayer being a good way to reach people and put our attitudes right when broaching any subject, not only this one. You never know how someone will respond to a loving word after a heart felt prayer.
We shouldn't need 70% of the population to be vaccinated. We would need 70% of the population with immunity. Why are you assuming that immunity only occurs via vaccinations when we know that asymptomatic cases far outnumbers symptomatic ones AND that antibody counts can remain strong after people contract the virus?

Also, the risk (of severe cases) has always been very low for the vast majority of us....

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
We shouldn't need 70% of the population to be vaccinated. We would need 70% of the population with immunity. Why are you assuming that immunity only occurs via vaccinations when we know that asymptomatic cases far outnumbers symptomatic ones AND that antibody counts can remain strong after people contract the virus?

Also, the risk (of severe cases) has always been very low for the vast majority of us....
The 70% number would assume that an additional portion of the population (roughly half of those unvaccinated) have some kind of immunity from prior exposure. Given the r0 of this thing, we need about 85% of the population with some kind of immunity in order to suppress the virus. There's 0 chance that happens, at least in state like Oklahoma and Texas. There's too much vaccine hesitancy.