Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Chinese COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness 'not high,' government exploring options: officials

China's coronavirus vaccines may not provide the appropriate protection, with the government exploring options to try and boost efficacy as additional vaccines enter clinical trials.

In a rare admission from a normally tight-lipped government, Chinese health officials admitted that the vaccines "don't have very high protective rates."

"It's now under formal consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process," China Centers for Disease Control director Gao Fu said at a conference Saturday.

Drug companies Sinopharm and Sinovac were the leading producers for China's vaccine efforts, with their products exported to 22 countries including Mexico, Turkey, Indonesia, Brazil and Turkey.
For the Chinese to say this, it must not do anything. Color me not surprised at all. US, UK, and Israel about to open back up while everyone else is in perpetual lockdowns.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Update on my 17yr olds shots. They got their 2nd dose of Pfiser on Friday morning. All day Friday afternoon they were good. Late Friday night they both said their arms were getting sore and they were starting to feel it.

Saturday they woke up with a few aches and major fatigue. They drug around all day Saturday. One had a really bad headache. Saturday afternoon they both had chills, fatigue, slight fever.

Sunday, one woke up fine, no issues other than slight sore area where the injection was (it was swelled a bit) other kid had a headache all day and said his brain was really fuzzy like in a fog.

Today they went to school. Kid with a headache still had it this morning, and some brain fog when he went to school. He texted after 2nd hour and said all his symptoms were gone and he felt pretty good.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Update on my 17yr olds shots. They got their 2nd dose of Pfiser on Friday morning. All day Friday afternoon they were good. Late Friday night they both said their arms were getting sore and they were starting to feel it.

Saturday they woke up with a few aches and major fatigue. They drug around all day Saturday. One had a really bad headache. Saturday afternoon they both had chills, fatigue, slight fever.

Sunday, one woke up fine, no issues other than slight sore area where the injection was (it was swelled a bit) other kid had a headache all day and said his brain was really fuzzy like in a fog.

Today they went to school. Kid with a headache still had it this morning, and some brain fog when he went to school. He texted after 2nd hour and said all his symptoms were gone and he felt pretty good.
I got the J&J one shot myself, other than a slight sore in my arm where the needle went in, I didn't have any other side effects like chills, fatigue or achiness. Well i guess i did have a very slight headache that night, but it was gone when i got up that next morning :thumbup:

Sep 22, 2011
After my first moderna shot, I woke up the next morning and felt drunk, wore off in about 2 hours and worked the rest of the day like normal, arm was a bit sore for a couple days.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1380928606520627201?s=19
They are on our dime...line em up and give em the shot...When did Marines start to make a choice on what vaccinations they receive? Back in the day it was basically get in a line, drop trow, chough and get the freaking shot in your butt. When did this wimping out of Americans fighting force happen?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
This is such poor job by our local Fox News to get clicks and stir the worry pot. Not one mention of the 1,400 case backlog dump last week which artificially spiked the averages. You can bet that they sure won't have a standalone article in a week when the backlog drops off of the 7-day average and the average drops significantly.

Daily average of new Oklahoma COVID-19 cases is rising

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — Researchers say the average daily number of COVID-19 cases is climbing in Oklahoma.

Johns Hopkins University researchers say the rolling average of daily new Oklahoma cases over the past two weeks has spiked by 168 cases, or 47.4%.

As of Friday, the most recent day for which data are available, Oklahoma averaged 522 new cases over seven days.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
is that true new cases, or is it including the adjustments that added cases and deaths as far back as last summer?
It was a backlog of cases not reported from a particular testing site after Oklahoma changed the ways they report deaths/cases. I believe they were from earlier this year, but spread out over a while.

Oct 30, 2007
They are on our dime...line em up and give em the shot...When did Marines start to make a choice on what vaccinations they receive? Back in the day it was basically get in a line, drop trow, chough and get the freaking shot in your butt. When did this wimping out of Americans fighting force happen?
At this point, the vaccines are only authorized for emergency use. It's my understanding that federal law prohibits anyone from requiring a vaccination until after it receives full FDA approval. Check out the link for more details.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/23...-a-covid-19-vaccine-distributed-under-an-eua/
Federal law prohibits employers and others from requiring vaccination with a Covid-19 vaccine distributed under an EUA
When Dr. Amanda Cohn, the executive secretary of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, was asked if Covid-19 vaccination can be required, she responded that under an EUA, “vaccines are not allowed to be mandatory. So, early in this vaccination phase, individuals will have to be consented and they won’t be able to be mandatory.” Cohn later affirmed that this prohibition on requiring the vaccines applies to organizations, including hospitals.

Nov 23, 2010
is that true new cases, or is it including the adjustments that added cases and deaths as far back as last summer?
It's both, but the rise without the dump of cases is much less notable.

Last Tuesday (before the 1,300 dump) our 7 day average of cases was 310. If you remove the 1,300 cases, the 7 day average yesterday was 336. So it's up, but not by an alarming amount. Hospitalizations lag, but we're below 200 for the first time since last summer. Hopefully the high number of vaccinations among the most vulnerable will keep that number low even with a rising case count.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
We are halting a vaccine because of 0.000088% chance of getting a blood clot?

US health officials recommend pause in J&J vaccine due to blood clots

Federal health officials today announced they are recommending a pause in the use of the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to blood clots "out of an abundance of caution."

"Vaccine safety is a top priority for the federal government, and we take all reports of health problems following COVID-19 vaccination very seriously," The Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a statement.

As of April 12, more than 6.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine have been administered in the U.S. CDC and FDA are reviewing data involving six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the J&J vaccine, the statement said. All six cases occurred among women between the ages of 18 and 48, and symptoms occurred six to 13 days after vaccination.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's both, but the rise without the dump of cases is much less notable.

Last Tuesday (before the 1,300 dump) our 7 day average of cases was 310. If you remove the 1,300 cases, the 7 day average yesterday was 336. So it's up, but not by an alarming amount. Hospitalizations lag, but we're below 200 for the first time since last summer. Hopefully the high number of vaccinations among the most vulnerable will keep that number low even with a rising case count.
It's grasping for straws at this point to say we have a "rising case count," the manipulations of the case count numbers and all the false positives and multiple testing of persons (I have had five myself over time with four negatives and one false positive). It's to the point that case count is mind numbing, it's also THE reason the USA has the most positive cases in the world (we test nearly EVERYONE and more than once). We should JUST be looking at confirmed hospitalizations and deaths at this point...at least in order to draw any conclusions as lay people anyway.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We are halting a vaccine because of 0.000088% chance of getting a blood clot?

US health officials recommend pause in J&J vaccine due to blood clots

Federal health officials today announced they arerecommending a pause in the use of the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine due to blood clots "out of an abundance of caution."

"Vaccine safety is a top priority for the federal government, and we take all reports of health problems following COVID-19 vaccination very seriously," The Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a statement.

As of April 12, more than 6.8 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine have been administered in the U.S. CDC and FDA are reviewing data involving six reported U.S. cases of a rare and severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the J&J vaccine, the statement said. All six cases occurred among women between the ages of 18 and 48, and symptoms occurred six to 13 days after vaccination.
It makes one wonder if J&J's lobbyist aren't as good as Pfizer and Moderna's? ;-)
Honestly seems excessive to "halt" it when it's bringing us closer to an end to this.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
It makes one wonder if J&J's lobbyist aren't as good as Pfizer and Moderna's? ;-)
Honestly seems excessive to "halt" it when it's bringing us closer to an end to this.
The reason for the pause is because the treatment for the very rare issue requires a very unique treatment plan to treat the issue. They are working to put together guidelines, treatment plan if this happens so Doctors know what to look for and how to treat this issue. They don't want to keep giving shots without Dr.'s having a clear treatment plan of how to treat someone who does suffer the rare event

1618317255594.png

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The USA has given 190 MILLION shots...Oklahoma has given 2.3 MILLION shots. Let's get this DONE!

The "halt" over such a tiny percentage issue doesn't help with vaccine advocacy among our friends who are already falsely hesitant, at least for J&J. Honestly with us, in Oklahoma anyway, being down to basically the 1/2 the population that is hesitant, I hope we can keep the numbers high daily because everyday we don't get shots in arms extends the virus and the world wide shutdown. We NEED you to get your shot if you haven't...Get err done!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The reason for the pause is because the treatment for the very rare issue requires a very unique treatment plan to treat the issue. They are working to put together guidelines, treatment plan if this happens so Doctors know what to look for and how to treat this issue. They don't want to keep giving shots without Dr.'s having a clear treatment plan of how to treat someone who does suffer the rare event

View attachment 89792
Ok, but in doing so, are they "saying" the risk of the sever covid 19 virus to a person getting J&J is less than this blood clotting issue? Sorry, just a skeptics question. While I understand what you just said, and since we have other vaccines it's likely not a HUGE deal, J&J could be one of the biggest factors in getting it done faster because it's only one shot, can be stored without much effort and used all around the world efficiently. While it's slightly less effective, it should give other nations specifically the needed boost to get things moving again for their health and economies. I was hopeful that it could really help the developing world. AstraZeneca was paused in parts of Europe several weeks back for the same reason...can't they just look at that research?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I agree with Rack. There were going to be some very, very slight risks associated with these vaccines, but halting J&J will only put a negative perception around it in peoples minds. There were some adverse reactions to Pfizer and Moderna, yet you don't see them stopped.