Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 31, 2007
OK & CA
So out of roughly 3 million vaccinated in Michigan less than .01% had symptoms and 1 in a million died? Those kind of numbers make Jonas Salk envious. I know you like to push an agenda but those results are the opposite of what you are trying to do here.
I’m not pushing any agenda. Somebody mentioned seeing deaths after vaccination so I mentioned something I heard on NPR and posted an article. All I am doing is participating in the discussion. Have you considered taking a break from posting for a bit? You seem wound pretty tight and maybe a little break would do you some good.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
it deserves investigation. Cuomo tried to hide his numbers, I hope to God someone wasn't trying to do that in Oklahoma and now trying to undo it
My BIGGEST question on these numbers is WHY can't the cases and deaths be added back to when they occurred? What agenda are we currently peddling that needs the numbers to look like they happened now instead of when they REALLY occurred? Seriously,, anyone have an answer for that? OR Are we just so lame that we don't know how to add the cases back to WHEN they really occurred? That's just really stupid if so. When the Mayor of Tulsa looks at the "science" tomorrow with Tulsa Health officials to review the mask mandate or other efforts is he going to place these numbers in their proper position or is he going to act like we are having some sort of FLASE spring surge in Oklahoma? IF he does then those responses need to be challenged. I also want to know why they weren't reported when/if they occurred prior and what changed in the counting method that we decided we needed to count them now (edit I found that it was reported as a "lab reporting error")? DId we hide numbers or are we padding them now j(and why)? Or are we just inept that we cannot put them in their proper months? Last summer we added probable cases, now we are adding in lab errors in reporting, neither time when those cases occurred. When do we get to remove false positives like my pcr from last month? Seems like we always add cases but NO ONE removes them when false. What incentive do we have to increase our numbers but never to decrease them? Are we now going to be added to a false narrative of states experiencing a spring surge?

When scientist and statisticians look back at our Covid experience in Oklahoma they are going to need to make adjustments for this data or it's going to mess up their studies.

In good news, 171 MILLION doses of the vaccine have been given in the USA, at a current pace of 3.03 Million shots a day...109 MILLION have had the first shot....what are you waiting for? Get errr done! You can do it NOW at GIA...get in the car and go get it done!

OSU Stillwater Campus COVID-19 Vaccine Pod Now Open To The Public (news9.com)

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Got some feedback on the J&J shot from a co-worker. Guy I work with got his J&J shot yesterday. Said he felt like a million bucks today. Said he had some fatigue last night but he slept great and today he feels really good.

Said outside of the fatigue and sore spot where the shot was given there wasn't much of any side effects so far. Will be interesting to see J&J single dose side effects. Don't really see too many complaints about any for that shot
I've got a weird story here. My cousin (probably in his 40's) was in the J&J study and he described his reaction as the worst flu he'd ever had. Fever, chills, aches, nausea, the works. I found out his mom was getting it (I think she's maybe in or approaching her 70's and kind of a frail person) and I was kind of concerned how she'd react to it. She had absolutely no reaction... So, mother and son both got the same vaccine and had polar opposite reactions to it.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
How is it that we are well on the path to recovery and normalcy, yet there is more arguing than ever? It's like this has taken another political turn and there are two extreme sides with no middle ground. Once again it seems like the media is doing their job and creating divide.

Nov 23, 2010
My BIGGEST question on these numbers is WHY can't the cases and deaths be added back to when they occurred? What agenda are we currently peddling that needs the numbers to look like they happened now instead of when they REALLY occurred? Seriously,, anyone have an answer for that? OR Are we just so lame that we don't know how to add the cases back to WHEN they really occurred? That's just really stupid if so. When the Mayor of Tulsa looks at the "science" tomorrow with Tulsa Health officials to review the mask mandate or other efforts is he going to place these numbers in their proper position or is he going to act like we are having some sort of FLASE spring surge in Oklahoma? IF he does then those responses need to be challenged. I also want to know why they weren't reported when/if they occurred prior and what changed in the counting method that we decided we needed to count them now (edit I found that it was reported as a "lab reporting error")? DId we hide numbers or are we padding them now j(and why)? Or are we just inept that we cannot put them in their proper months? Last summer we added probable cases, now we are adding in lab errors in reporting, neither time when those cases occurred. When do we get to remove false positives like my pcr from last month? Seems like we always add cases but NO ONE removes them when false. What incentive do we have to increase our numbers but never to decrease them? Are we now going to be added to a false narrative of states experiencing a spring surge?

When scientist and statisticians look back at our Covid experience in Oklahoma they are going to need to make adjustments for this data or it's going to mess up their studies.

In good news, 171 MILLION doses of the vaccine have been given in the USA, at a current pace of 3.03 Million shots a day...109 MILLION have had the first shot....what are you waiting for? Get errr done! You can do it NOW at GIA...get in the car and go get it done!

OSU Stillwater Campus COVID-19 Vaccine Pod Now Open To The Public (news9.com)
I'm not sure if the state officially released a 7 day rolling average with just the new cases from the last week, but I did see KOCO show both, 506 vs 306. One thing that's very good news is that even with all of those cases listed for Wednesday, 506 is still substantially lower than it was a month ago (which would have been artificially low because it didn't have any of those cases.)

As for Tulsa, I assume the data Bynum et al will be looking at is what's on the health department dashboard which shows that we've been in a relative plateau for 3 weeks with weekly cases being 279, 306, 328. If that 328 includes our share of the 1,300 then it would really reinforce the plateau. Additionally, they show nearly all of Tulsa county zip codes in the yellow "moderate risk" category. The two that remain in orange were on the low end of that category as well.

All that said, I feel pretty certain the mask mandate will just expire at the end of the month and not be lifted early.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I can't with her! Apparently she anticipates us still recovering in 2022 and she's the best equipped to lead us through this.

Clark announces bid for mayor

Mayor Breea Clark has officially announced that she will seek another term as Norman’s mayor in the February 2022 election.

Clark’s video announcement Wednesday included mention of initiatives the City of Norman began before the pandemic, and what it could finish as it moves past COVID-19.

The mayor discussed sales tax-funded quality of life and infrastructure projects as milestones the city reached or began prior to 2020.

“Our community has been through a lot,” she said in a video statement. “Before 2020 began, we made great efforts to invest in our future. From supporting public transportation to investing in public health, we looked to the future and imagined what our community could become and the services it could provide to our residents.”

While the council pursued quality of life issues and addressed “building an inclusive community” through the Human Rights Commission recommendations, the pandemic was an interruption. Clark implemented the first mask mandate in the state and was the first to restrict business capacity in line with Centers for Disease and Control Prevention guidelines, The Transcript reported.

“Then there was 2020, a historically challenging year, not just for our city but the world. We led the way in taking bold action to protect residents, innovative ways to connect with residents while they were safer at home and supported small businesses and the arts as we move toward the end of COVID-19,” she said.

Clark said she’s proud of the way Norman responded to the crisis, but it’s time to move toward a brighter future.

“Join me as we continue with an eye on our progress and not where we’ve been, but where we can go,” she said.

In response to a request for comment as to why she decided to seek reelection, Clark said the coming days are critical to the city’s continued recovery from the pandemic.

“This is a crucial time in our community’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, and I am best equipped to see us through to better days,” she told The Transcript. “We are on the right track, and I want to ensure that we continue to focus on restoring our economic vitality, prioritizing environmental sustainability and working to create equitable opportunities that allow each resident to reach their fullest potential.”

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
How is it that we are well on the path to recovery and normalcy, yet there is more arguing than ever? It's like this has taken another political turn and there are two extreme sides with no middle ground. Once again it seems like the media is doing their job and creating divide.
Why do you think there’s more arguing than ever? I feel like it has calmed considerably, but that’s simply my anecdotal take.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Direct quote on masks:
“Very early on in the pandemic, in the very early months, before we even had many cases, there was a shortage of PPE and masks for health care providers who needed them desperately since they were putting their lives and their safety on the line every day. So the feeling was that people who were wanting to have masks in the community, namely just people out in the street, might be hoarding masks and making the shortage of masks even greater. In that context, we said that we did not recommend masks.”

Direct quote on herd immunity vaccination estimates:
"When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent," Fauci said. "Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, 'I can nudge this up a bit,' so I went to 80, 85."
I can see your point here, and I think it makes some folks distrust him. I don’t care for the way he handled those statements, but it’s debatable that he outright lied and mislead the public.

https://bestlifeonline.com/news-fauci-regret/
According to a timeline published by Forbes, when the virus first reached the U.S. in Mar. 2020, Fauci told the public, "there's no reason to be walking around with a mask." He suggested that masks should be reserved for frontline healthcare workers and could cause "unintended consequences" if people touched their faces while adjusting them. By the end of that month, Fauci announced that he was engaged in "very active discussion" about whether to reverse that guidance. Not long after, in an Apr. 3, 2020 interview, he urged viewers to "wear some sort of facial covering" when out in public.

Later, in a Jul. 2020 interview with The Washington Post, he explained the reversal. "What happened as the weeks and months came by, two things became clear: one, that there wasn't a shortage of masks, we had plenty of masks and coverings that you could put on that's plain cloth…so that took care of that problem. Secondly, we fully realized that there are a lot of people who are asymptomatic who are spreading infection. So it became clear that we absolutely should be wearing masks consistently," he said.

This makes it sound like he discouraged the general public from buying masks as a precaution for the frontline healthcare workers. At the same time, he didn’t see the science for widespread mask usage. Once the data was clear, he changed his message pretty quickly. This assumes we take his word regarding his reasoning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/health/herd-immunity-covid-coronavirus.html
In a telephone interview the next day, Dr. Fauci acknowledged that he had slowly but deliberately been moving the goal posts. He is doing so, he said, partly based on new science, and partly on his gut feeling that the country is finally ready to hear what he really thinks.

So, new data did influence him changing his mind. He also stated that there is a pretty broad range of 70-90%. He doesn’t think it will take 90%, but it is probably in the higher range. He was hesitant to use the higher range also because he didn’t think people would accept it. I don’t agree with that approach, but I can see why he would do that from a social science perspective.

Bottom line, I can see why you made your original statement, but it’s a bit hyperbolic in my opinion.

Edit: By the way, thanks for providing actual data backing your opinion.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
For those of you not getting the shot for some weird reason...Here's 10 people who have without issues.

1. Trump got it
2. Pence got it
3. Biden got it
4. Stitt got it
5. Fauci got it
6. Harris got it
7. DeSantis got it
8. Abbott got it
9. W Bush got it, Obama got it, Carter got it
10. Nearly every member of the house and the senate got it

What's keeping you? AND why do you know more about it than these leaders from all over the map on opposite ends of politics who all got it and had no issues? Honestly, I hate to say this, but if you aren't getting it you are contributing to lock downs and mask mandates. IF you want those lifted go get the vaccine and convince your family and friends to do same.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Im fairly certain that you are townies sock. Im not certain but you post similarly.
How do people even remember who is who, much less start having paranoia that a certain poster is three different posters? That’s quite bizarre. It’s just a message board and isn’t anything important enough to be allowed to affect one’s mental health. Everyone just relax and have fun or perhaps take a break for a bit.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
For those of you not getting the shot for some weird reason...Here's 10 people who have without issues.

1. Trump got it
2. Pence got it
3. Biden got it
4. Stitt got it
5. Fauci got it
6. Harris got it
7. DeSantis got it
8. Abbott got it
9. W Bush got it, Obama got it, Carter got it
10. Nearly every member of the house and the senate got it

What's keeping you? AND why do you know more about it than these leaders from all over the map on opposite ends of politics who all got it and had no issues? Honestly, I hate to say this, but if you aren't getting it you are contributing to lock downs and mask mandates. IF you want those lifted go get the vaccine and convince your family and friends to do same.
Are there people here saying they are refusing to get the vaccine?

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
This. The past year has had such a negative impact on everyone's mental health that even the most emotionally stable among us are going to be impacted.
I can attest to this, I can be a hermit by default, so the beginning of the pandemic was not too bad. Although by the end of the year my already existing anxiety was through the roof and I still don't feel like it has subsided at all.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Exactly, it seems like many of the things that should not be politicized keep falling into that category.

Oct 30, 2007
In a telephone interview the next day, Dr. Fauci acknowledged that he had slowly but deliberately been moving the goal posts. He is doing so, he said, partly based on new science, and partly on his gut feeling that the country is finally ready to hear what he really thinks.
I can give him a little bit of a pass on the mask guidance, because everything was so new at the time, but this is what really upset me. He admitted to intentionally misleading the public, because he didn't think that they were ready to hear the truth. How could anyone possibly trust a public health official after they've admitted to changing their numbers based off of polling data?

The R0 estimates suggest that a 60-70% vaccination rate is necessary to achieve herd immunity. This is the official position of the WHO. I don't think that Dr. Fauci is moving the goal posts based off new science, I think he's doing it to encourage more people to get vaccinated.

Dr. Fauci doesn't appear to have any problem with misleading the public if he feels he's doing it for the greater good. His opinion means nothing to me now, because I don't trust him to tell me the truth.

Sep 12, 2008
Got some feedback on the J&J shot from a co-worker. Guy I work with got his J&J shot yesterday. Said he felt like a million bucks today. Said he had some fatigue last night but he slept great and today he feels really good.

Said outside of the fatigue and sore spot where the shot was given there wasn't much of any side effects so far. Will be interesting to see J&J single dose side effects. Don't really see too many complaints about any for that shot
I got the J&J jab 1 hour ago. No ill effects thus far. The jab itself stung like a hornet though.